• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

Might have a chance to drive up to Alaska for a couple or three weeks starting the second week of September. Is this too late in the year to make the trip?

2015 Hawk on a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:54 PM

Our 5 trips to Alaska have all been mid Aug or later.

The last trip was from middle Aug to middle Sept.

We didn't drive there but took the ferry from Bellingham Wa.

You might PM   Robbie ,he lives in Watson Lake,Yukon.

I am sure he would be very happy to give you any info.And you would go through his home area.

Our last trip was in 2016 and we spent 6 weeks from home to home. I have a trip report on my travel blog.

Graylon I live just outside of Castroville North Monterey Co.

If I can answer any questions please feel free to PM me.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:21 AM

I love Alaska that time of year. I have tent camped in Mid September and it was chilly but fine. When we moved down here in 2008 we made the drive starting the week after Labor Day camping in a hardside truck Camper and it was just about perfect. I would jump on the opportunity to make that trip again.

#4 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:59 AM

Lived in AK a few years, currently have a cabin in far NW BC.  That time of year will be fine for a camper, perhaps even ideal.  Bugs mostly dead, colors spectacular in many places, and generally low traffic compared to midsummer.  Although it may snow, shouldn't stick much and unlikely to be a problem with driving.

#5 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:04 AM

I did the Denali road rally late September. Be prepared for possible snow and cold nights. It is a great time to visit for sure. Fall colors animals everywhere getting ready for winter. If you are a hunter it's moose season 2nd and 3rd week of September.

#6 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

Thank you for the information - much appreciated.

2015 Hawk on a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro

#7 nelstomlinson

nelstomlinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:58 PM

The earliest I have ever seen snow stick up here was the first week of September, about '91 or so.  Usually the snow doesn't stick until sometime in October.  If you are prepared to deal with snow, you'll probably be fine.

The only thing I'd add to what others have said is that you are going to be driving through mountain passes in Canada on the way home.  Middle to late September in the Interior can be nice.  A fall snow storm in the Canadian Rockies might be another kettle of fish.  Maybe you could plan to take the ferry from Haines to Bellingham or Vancouver on the way back?  It's expensive, but restful and good scenery.

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

Second on the ferry.A great way to travel,yes extra $$ but it is an option.

Also you can catch the Northern Expedition out of Pr. Rupert to Port Hardy then down

Vancouver Island a great trip with some good camp sites around Cambell River.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 BWSracing

BWSracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

My wife and I are leaving from VA to head to Alaska in mid November and then to SoCal and then back east just after the new year. Looking for advice and comments

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:40 PM

My wife and I are leaving from VA to head to Alaska in mid November and then to SoCal and then back east just after the new year. Looking for advice and comments

You should PM member  robbie  he lives in Watson Lake ,Yukon and could give you some travel ideas.

Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users