Photo
- - - - -

Behold! The Air Spring Nightmare! (2008 Ram 1500 4x4)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:11 AM

Long rambling ahead; here is the summary:

Tried to install Firestone Air Springs, they seemed to have been fabricated by either a trained baboon or bottom-tier moron. Returned, ordered Air Lift Springs (yes I ordered the correct kit for the truck) and they do not fit on the frame properly. Air Lift customer support ticked me off and wasted most of my day. Total time spent on air springs thus far with zero progress: 10 hours in 90 degree sun. Now what do I do?

Rambling yet therapeutic string of complaints:

We are in the midst of an air spring nightmare. Our FWC Hawk will be ready in mid-August, so I have been making (and attempting to make) the suspension upgrades I see as necessary. Last year, when I was researching options for my wife's Ram, I had decided on a Hellwig rear sway bar and the Firestone air springs. So that's what we ordered. 

The Firestone kit arrived last week and I got to work on installing it one hot evening after work. The long story short is that after jacking up the truck and taking the rear wheels off, things were not lining up right on one side. Since the parts are symmetrical, I swapped out one assembly for the other and then discovered that one of the large brackets had been fabricated poorly. The Firestone brackets have three "ears" along one side that are bent in the same direction 90 degrees. Somehow the moron at the metal brake had managed to bend the outside ears in the wrong spot, with the middle ear being correct. I couldn't imagine how someone could do this without realizing it, and it even seems to my limited knowledge to be impossible to do unintentionally. Since all three ears are supposed to be bent at the same spot and at the same angle, wouldn't they just brake them all at once with the same setting? Anyway, it's hard to describe what the issue was. I am normally pretty forgiving of manufacturing mistakes because they are bound to happen. But this one was so puzzling that I lost confidence in the brand.

I returned the kit and ordered the Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 which also gets excellent reviews. We decided at that time that we wanted to get an on board compressor to help with leveling the truck at camp. So we also ordered the Air Lift Wireless Air kit. Everything, including the Hellwig sway bar arrived. So I jumped into the install yesterday after work. Jack the truck up, set the jack stands, and took off the wheels. Again. The Air Lift kit has you mount an upper frame bracket to the bottom of the frame over the rear axle, using the bolt holes for the stock jounce bumper. I found that the frame on our truck, which we bought new from the dealer and has never had any mods done to it, does not have a flat surface on the bottom of the frame over the rear axle. There is a component of the frame, present on both sides of the truck, that laps over the main frame body, which adds about 1/4" of thickness. So the big Air Lift bracket cannot sit flush on the bottom of the frame because the front edge sits on the lower part of the frame. When I installed the bracket exactly as the instructions say, the front end is 1/4" lower than the back end, so you can see daylight between the bracket and the frame at the front, and it is right where the mounting bolt goes so to tighten the bolt to spec would either bend the bracket or tweak the bolt.So 

So I looked around online and found no one with the same issue. I rechecked the frame. The way it is is obviously how it is supposed to be from the factory; the lower part of the frame runs forward on both sides all the way to the transmission cross member, which is welded to it. These are all factory welds; no one snuck up and did some freelance welding on this truck. The welds are perfect, probably done by a robot. There is no damage or bending that caused the issue; it is clearly a 1/4" plate that is wrapped onto the main frame body. It was after 5 PST, but I called the Air Lift phone anyway. The message said they are open from 8 to 8 EST. 

Today, I started calling them at just before 8 PST. At first the number would just ring. A few more tries were met with a busy signal. At one point, I got the "We are closed" message that I had heard the night before. I decided to tackle the sway bar while waiting. When I was almost done with the sway bar, I finally got through to Air Lift after being on hold for 30 min. The service rep I spoke with told me he had never heard of this issue and asked for photos. That's why we took photos of everything the night before. He told me he would forward the photos to the engineer. "Perfect!" I said. "Thanks for the help." I said. This was about 10 this morning. After a trip t the store for some more jack stands and a better jack, and a driveway tire rotation, and finishing up on the sway bar, I decided that I would need to call them again before everyone went home. With the hours being 8 to 8 EST, and it being just after 3 PST, I figured I had waited a reasonable time and had not gotten a call back or even an acknowledgement that my emailed photos had been received. After another 30 min. hold session, the same rep I had spoken with in the morning answered. I told him I had not heard anything. He said he would check with the engineer and call me back, but the engineer may have gone home. So here it is 5 PST, and I have not heard back.

So this is my dilemma: I am easily at the point with Air Lift that I return both the spring kit and the compressor kit and go with something else. This is what I did with the Firestone kit. But I'm tired of doing that and I am running out of options. I see that Hellwig makes an air bag kit, but no compressor. And I had issues installing that damn sway bar too, although I was able to make it work.

The most annoying thing about the Air Lift kit is that I can't find anyone else with the same issue, and it is a very common truck and a very common air spring kit.

Any thoughts or experiences with these products on a 2008 Ram 1500?

h723K8

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:59 AM

Hello Andy Douglass
I'm sorry to hear of the situation with the two different air springs.
Recently decided to try the Hellwig air springs on our F250, I found them from SDTruck springs. While placing my order the sales person tried to get me to go with Air Lift, and felt pushing in that direction so halted the purchase. Spoke with Hellwig really want to try them so asked for a couple of online distributors. Sure enough he says SDTruck springs, so I tell him about the recent experience I just had, and suggested he call and act like a customer to see for himself.
Well two weeks later not being able to find a better price I placed a order online $309.00. ( with SDTruck springs) Funny how none of the folks I spoke with ever mentioned they are 4 weeks back order. Oh well that's so much the way the air springs collapse just like the buying experience.
I will not be surprised when nothing just bolts up. Although unable to assist you, hopefully this will make you feel not so all alone.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

I would suggest calling Timbergrove
https://timbergrovee...s.com/old-home/
I have a newer Ram and their kit was a simple bolt on process.
They’re a small company and I had no problem reaching the owner and getting answers for my questions.
Good luck finding what you need.
2007 FWC Hawk

#4 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

Sorry to hear about your frustrations.

While after-market vendors often state their components are compatible with older year trucks, such is often not the case due to small changes to frame and suspension geometry the manufacturer will make during and subsequent model year(s).  As such, it is very difficult to state with 100% certainty a product will fit any truck other than the one the vendor used for R&D to engineer their product.

Having owned a 2003 F-250 and now a 1988 Land Cruiser imported from Japan, I have found such to be the case many times when ordering after-market product. 

While one should not expect to modify or fabricate parts, I can certainly see where such would be the case.  I had to modify parts and re-powder coat several suspension parts for my old F-250.

Sadly, customer service is hit-or-miss at many vendors.  I have had nothing but superb service from Air Lift when calling tech support during my installation;  mostly due to my inability to gleam certain points in the instructions (and I tend to not to refer to instructions until I'm stymied).  I installed the Air Lift 5000 Ultimate on my 2016 F-350 several weeks after getting it home.  No issues at all with installation.

I have been very pleased with every nugget of advice I've received from the folks at Carli Suspension and Deaver Springs.

Hope you get your issues sorted out without further headaches. 

Edited by Advmoto18, 11 July 2018 - 01:46 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#5 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:02 PM

I installed Firestone Ride-Rite airbags on my 2007 Ram 1500 4x4 a few years ago.  The installation took about 1 hour and I didn't remove the rear wheels.  Did you call Firestone and ask for a replacement plate?  It could have been a mfg error or they could have included the wrong part with your order.  Either way, I feel your frustration.  I hate when a simple job turns into a complex mess.  For me it usually involves 20 trips to Ace Hardware.

#6 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:31 PM

Cougar Couple: Thanks for commiserating with me in my consumer despair. I am really curious to see how you like the Hellwig springs, as I might end up having to go with those (see below for update on Air Lift "Customer Service").

EDR: Thanks for the recommendation, I will take a look at that company.

ADVMoto: I agree with you; vehicles can change quite a bit within a model run. I would be forgiving of Air Lift if they did not market their product as 100% certain to fit my truck. Their website states that the 88230 kit will fit my truck and includes:

• All necessary mounting brackets
  • All of the hardware needed for installation

There is no indication of the possibility that due to changes made by the vehicle manufacturer the kit may not work. I spent $1000 on Air Lift products (springs and wireless compressor kit) based on Air Lift marketing the product as one that will work on my truck. See my update on their customer service below for why I feel good about my initial anger when I found the kit doesn't work.

Espresso: The faulty Firestone bracket was the correct part, it had just been bent incorrectly. It even has the same part number as the other bracket, although it was stamped with the part number upside down compared to the good bracket (small non-issue, but it just added to my impression of the product). Here is a pic of the two brackets:

gallery_7830_1232_2187992.jpg

The one on the top is the bad one, which you can see by the gap between the middle "ear" and my yellow level. The two outer ears are bent in the wrong spot and at about 100 degrees instead of 90. On the good one, all three "ears" are exactly the same length and bent at the same place at the same angle. I can't figure out how the fabricator could achieve those results without either being a moron or doing it intentionally. If Firestone Ride Rite was the only product on the market, I probably would have just returned it and gotten a replacement. But I had heard such good things about Air Lift, so I gambled (and lost) that their product would be superior.

Air Lift Customer Service Update:

One thing I forgot to include in my initial rant was that when I called back in the evening, the service rep told me that the only thing he could think of was if I ground down the bracket to fit the frame, although he was clear that he could not recommend that. I told him I would not be doing that.

I got the following email from him this morning:

"I apologize about the delay on this.

Being the fact that that weld is where it is at the kit that you have will not work. being that the upper frame bracket is not flush with the frame it will either may not function properly and will potentially fail prematurely. 

I would recommend that you go with kit number 59551."

I looked up kit number 59551. It is not a Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate kit, it is their Ride Control product, which is significantly weaker (2000 lb vs 5000 lb) and per their website it is best "if you tow or haul occasionally". It looks like this is one of the air springs that bolts onto the leaf springs, not the axle.

So now I'm pretty sure I will just return the Load Lifter kit along with the Wireless Air kit. I could use the Wireless air kit with any brand air springs, but I've now lost confidence in this company as well. I sent an email back to him advising that I did not see his response as a good solution to a problem that I have zero responsibility for. I will update here if there is any further response.

#7 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

It is too bad you had that experience with Firestone.  With my experience I would not give up on Firestone because they made one bracket mistake.  I have had two different sets of their air bags on two different trucks with over 140,000 miles with no problems at all.  The only change from their stock bags was to put commercial air lines on to make sure there was no leaks.  That mileage included a lot of off road miles on the first truck with heavy loads so I know they can hold up under abuse and over 40,000 miles with my current truck on mixed highway and forrest service/logging roads with camper.  I initially installed them because I volunteered on the Baja 1000 a couple of times and they were used a lot there -figured if they could stand that abuse that I would never put them through they could handle what I used them for.  If you look at other threads on hear related to airbags you will see that Airlift does not have the same reviews as Firestone.

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

I would suggest calling Timbergrove
https://timbergrovee...s.com/old-home/
I have a newer Ram and their kit was a simple bolt on process.
They’re a small company and I had no problem reaching the owner and getting answers for my questions.
Good luck finding what you need.

I agree.  They are highly recommended on the ram1500 forum.  I think you have to cut the bumper stop bracket off but it's minor.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

I did not hear back from Air Lift after my last update, so I am going to assume that when a customer purchases the product that they say will fit their truck, and it doesn't, the level of service they are comfortable with is just recommending a lesser product in their line and not making any offer to help with shipping/returning. 

I've always felt strongly that as a consumer, companies are held accountable by the money we don't spend on their products. While the Air Lift products look to be made well, and the instructions are far better than the Firestone ones were, the level of service I received is not satisfactory, and as it stands now I will not be spending any money on any of their products again. I scheduled a return of the Load Lifter 5000 kit, but I was not confident Amazon would sympathize with my reasoning on returning the Wireless Air kit since there is nothing wrong with that product (theoretically, since I haven't installed it yet). So I am keeping the compressor kit, but the Air Lift sticker that came with it will go into the garbage. And I don't mean I will let it gently flutter into the trash bin; that thing will be vigorously slammed into the trash with extreme prejudice. That'll teach 'em. 

I decided that the quickest way for me to end this drama was to reorder the Firestone Kit. When I decided to not go with Firestone, that was based on Air Lift's website telling me that they made a comparable product for my very common truck. Now that I've found that is not true, my consumer hatred for the Firestone product has been scaled back to consumer mild annoyance. Hopefully they send a good kit. I don't think my delicate psyche can handle any more problems, but if there is a problem with that Air Lift compressor kit, I fear my wife will find me curled into a fetal position in the driveway. We shall see....

#10 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

Ahh I really hate telling you this but....

Six years ago I put a loaded new Hawk on new 2500HD Chevy and drove away without the need for any mods whatsoever. Its been a great handling combo with no issues. I sincerely believe our "light weight" campers deserve a 3/4 ton platform.

In your shoes, I would forget the bags and get a new spring pac rated to carry the load.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users