• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:55 PM

Hi all - I was back along the N. Fork Clearwater fly fishing last weekend and the road was quite dusty.  I had noticed that the rooftop solar panel had collected a lot of dust, which would reduce efficiency.  Given the panels location, it would be somewhat challenging to reach from the side of the truck.  What do folks to do wipe off the rooftop solar panels while on the road?  I'm thinking of some sort of extendable pole.  

Cheers

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

I use my extendable windshield squeegee.

I am haunted by waters

#3 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:24 PM

I use my extendable windshield squeegee.

Yup

Alan

#4 Spud

Spud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationTwin Falls, Idaho

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:56 PM

Does this help???

Solar Panels Don’t Require Maintenance

Despite what solar panel makers may tell you, maintenance of the panels is not a problem once you have them installed. Solar panel manufacturers try to get people to lease solar panels, insisting that then the homeowner won’t have to worry about maintenance. Don’t let this get to you! The only thing you have to do is keep the panels clear of debris, by using a garden hose, out of direct sunlight, a few times a year.

or this....

How to Clean Solar Panels

1. The first thing you want to do is to check with your solar panel manufacturer. They might have specific recommendations for cleaning.
2. Solar panels can become incredible hot in sunshine. Either clean your solar panels in the morning/afternoon, or pick a relatively cool day.
3. First try if your garden hose alone does the job. If a lot of dust and dirt has accumulated you might need to clean more thoroughly.
4. Fill a bucket or spray bottle with warm water and soap – no other special equipment is needed.
5. Clean the surface of the solar panel with a soft cloth or sponge. You do not have to clean the wiring 

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. 
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. 
The winds will blow their own freshness into you, 
     and the storms their energy, 
          while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

-- John Muir

#5 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:18 PM

I use my old etriers (rock climbing webbing ladder) to climb up so I can see what I am doing.  Then use a windshield washer/squeege and plain water.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#6 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:54 PM

Had not considered the extendable windshield squeegee.  Thanks for the tips.

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#7 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:05 AM

The NREL and industry experts do recommend maintenance of solar systems that includes cleaning off dust as well as other things like bird droppings (they refer to things like dust and bird droppings as "soiling").

The following link has embedded links to a couple of studies and to the NREL “Best Practices in Photovoltaic Systems Operation and Maintenance.”

http://www.greenbuil...need-be-cleaned

Of note: 

"the Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) as well as researchers from the University of California-San Diego found representative annual PV output losses of approximately 7% due to soiling.

While these reports and studies were written around large PV installations they are still applicable to smaller systems on homes and even RVs and campers.   

So some common sense is appropriate here:  if the panels look really dirty and on a typical full sun day you are not getting quite as much out of your system as you used to then it may be a good idea to clean the panels.

I like the Victron solar components  because they allow me  to automatically keep a performance log on the Solar panel/controller system as well as the battery storage system.

Edited by ckent323, 14 July 2018 - 12:06 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:38 PM

When we were driving to our camping spot last weekend a couple in a other car pulled up along side of us and motioned that our vent was flapping. When we got home I got up on a ladder to evaluate it and noticed how dirty the leading edge of the roof and our solar panels were. I was really surprised as we keep the camper in a garage most of the year...
Tomorrow I'll be taking some warm water and mild detergent to gently clean the whole top..

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:45 AM

It is amazing the difference in output. I have 100% solar on our home and the hay field pollen covers everything. My installer told me to hit with the hose weekly to keep the the rate high.... seems to make sense to do same on camper especially as they are horizontal mount. Sqeegee it is.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users