18 replies to this topic

#1 krs1

krs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:46 PM

This is our first family camping trip with the baby and my third camping trip in the camper total the heater work just fine the first two camping trips that I went on and this evening we tried to run the heater and nothing works. This which seems to be in good operating form and the fuses not blown, the propane is on and everything else in the camper is working perfectly include in my fridge. Has anyone had this happen to them before and if so if some other things I can troubleshoot other than that the fuse the switch and the wiring that I cannot really trace and the propane thanks for the help

#2 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:52 PM

To have people better help you please include more information.

Year, make and model of camper

What brand of heater

What theromastat being used

What happens when the thermostat is switched on, noises etc.

What voltage the battery might have had at the time

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:36 PM

Hello krs1
Double check the stat, I'm sure you already did but cycle the switches an run the temp up and down. Do you have a volt ohm meter?

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:24 PM

Your post reminds me I once spent more time than I should have to figure out that the off lever on a mechanical thermostat really means off. 

It's kinda sneaky though...

Working the temperature-adjusting lever feels like it's engaging and dis-engaging the thermostat's temperature-control contacts but if that Off lever has lifted up that little flap, power never reaches the main contacts and the thermostat never calls for heat.

(Click to enlarge)

AtwoodHydroFlameThermostatBase.jpg   AtwoodThermostatGraphic.jpg

(Edited 7/18 to correct orientation.  Off switch is at the top, temperature-adjust lever at the bottom.  Thermostat is an Atwood hydro flame mechanical thermostat.  Edited 7/20 to add second photo.)

Edited by Old Crow, 20 July 2018 - 05:50 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#5 krs1

krs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:03 PM

The thermostat just stopped working one day it made no noises I had changed nothing the thermostat itself is the one pictured just above this reply I have double checked all the mechanical switches on the thermostat but unable to determine what is going on The thermostat just stopped working one day it made no noises I had changed nothing the thermostat itself is the one pictured just above this reply I have double checked all the mechanical switches on the thermostat but unable to determine what is going on. I do not have anything to ensure that the thermostat is getting power. As far as the furnace itself I’m not sure but the bobcat is a 17 built last year

#6 krs1

krs1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

Pics

#7 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:58 PM

Take a look at this document.  It should help you to troubleshoot the issue.

http://bryantrv.com/...flamefurn04.pdf

There is quite a bit going on in a furnace, but if you understand the sequence of operation and what each component does, you may be able to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:33 PM

The thermostat just makes a circuit.  You can remove the two wires and connect them together and see if the furnace turns on.  If the furnace runs then a bad or out of adjustment thermostat is to blame.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 11:46 PM

I don't mean this is a smart aleck way, but your other 12 volt systems are working, right? 

Then I would suggest since you do not (as yet) own a multimeter, just arbitrarily change the fuse for the furnace. Can't tell you how many service calls I made when folks said they had checked the fuse. 

After that the next stop is the module board on the furnace. If the blower is not spooling up, you are not past the fan relay on the board. Bad thermostats are uncommon and a bad blower motor is not common until they get some age on them. Board life varies widely, but in general they are far better than they were a decade or two ago. If the blower is not blowing, nothing else is going to happen with the furnace and it might be time to get some professional help. 

#10 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 16 July 2018 - 02:36 AM

Krs1
Above is sound advice. Our suburban water heater, New out of the box had cold solder connections on the circut board. So it can happen.
Was an intermittent problem.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users