4 replies to this topic

#1 buckst4

buckst4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNorth Cascades

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:16 AM

After taking delivery of a 2017 Hawk last summer, I had cause to use shore power for the first time in May of this year.  Plugged into a garage outlet, blue light on Furion receptacle lit, all camper breakers on resulted in no AC power to GFCI outlet in camper and no DC power to camper batteries.  Checked 30A in-line fuse on IOTA converter with my multimeter and fuse is good.  Tested system with master kill switch off and on and position of switch made no difference.  After working on the problem for a good hour, suddenly the IOTA unit came on for no apparent reason.  GFCI outlet was energized, batteries were charging, and cooling fan on the Iota unit was spinning.  It continued to work until camper was disconnected from shore power.  When I plugged into shore power for the second time recently, Iota unit was inop once again and nothing I do changes that.  If anyone has an idea what to check next I'd sure appreciate suggestions.  The intermittent nature of the problem has me stumped.  Flaky Iota converter?  Intermittent open in camper wiring somewhere?  The camper is still under warranty but the nearest 4WC dealer is a 4 hour drive so I'd like to fix this myself if possible.

#2 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:25 AM

Loose wire somewhere, back of the Iota or circuit breakers. Wear insulated gloves and wiggle every wire you see that especially includes the grounds.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:35 AM

Don't rule out the outside plug all the way to you electrical outlet. Silly but our Casita plug would work 75 percent of the time. Had to keep plugging it in and out until a solid contact was made.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:48 AM

Since you don’t have power to the GFI outlets, your problem is not with the converter. If the Hawk is like my ATC, you have a 3 prong plug that goes into an AC outlet under the counter or wherever FWC locates it. I’d start looking in that area.

Something might be popping the GCI circuit, and that would knock out both your AC and the converter, but the Furion outlet would still have the blue light illuminated. I would open up the area around the converter and check where it’s plugged in (or possibly direct wired) for anything loose or that looks sloppy. Check all of the GCI outlets to see if one has popped. Cycle your AC circuit breakers, one might be open or making intermittent contact. A good flashlight and mirror might be helpful.

Please let us know what you find.

I am haunted by waters

#5 fwctaco

fwctaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 17 July 2018 - 04:57 AM

In my 2015 FWC I believe the Furion output is connected directly to the "main" AC breaker in the AC breaker panel, and then the output of that breaker connects to the other breakers.  Ground and neutral are managed with buss bars located behind the DC fuse panel.

It may be worth it to pull the AC breaker panel and have a look to make sure the connections are good and check the voltage with your multimeter between the main breaker output and the ground buss bar.  You have to pull a couple plastic trim pieces off the AC breaker panel to get to the screws that hold it in.

Edited by fwctaco, 17 July 2018 - 05:00 AM.

-2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 V6 Automatic Transmission

-2015 Four Wheel Camper Fleet Front Dinette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users