• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stoney126

stoney126

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

hey all, I just picked up this camper- It is a 97 starcraft stargazer and in decent shape Id post more pics but they are too big to post . Just picked it up for 3500 dollars . its going to be a small family project as my wife is looking at lots of things to update the interior. Im going to be the exterior and updating/replacing some of the old hook ups. I haven't tried out the propane system yet - has a dometic fridge and a furnace has a hand pump sink . real basic but very clean inside-  at least i think so 

The only rear issue was at the right front jack area- there is some bubbling though the wood is hard and no staining on the inside. the fabric is great shape imo.

This is my first camper and am looking for help and advice. First things first . getting the camper out, i need extensions for the jack or a base to put them on - my truck has a 4 inch lift and 35s. Second is what do you guys recommend as far as securing to the truck? I have a 2x4 frame in the bed to help clear the cab - which bring me to question 3 . How close can I get the overhang of the camper to the cab? Id like to the camper and eliminate as much gap on the bed sides as possible but realize I only have like maybe 1.5 to 2 inches of room . 4. Anything better the running the frame made of 2x4 to get this camper to correct height- obviously this wasnt made to fit my truck. im hoping to move it foward to clear the tailgate but dont think I have the room. 

also lookign at doing liner over the camper but that is further down the road 

Thank for any advise 

Attached Thumbnails

• front.jpg
  • back.jpg
  • IMG_20180718_203659_220.jpg
  • IMG_20180718_203659_216.jpg

#2 Mark G

Mark G

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMeadow Vista, CA

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:05 AM

Welcome to the world of pop-up truck campers. I have no knowledge of Starcraft campers other than they are heavier than FWC's.  A lot of similar questions to yours have been asked on the FWC side here and should help you. The change in pick-up dimensions causes problems fitting campers manufactured in other years.

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

Hello stoney126
Welcome to WTW. Can't say what you can use to get up to the height you need to lift your camper up to drive out from under it. But there was a thread I read , and there was concern or a caution about using cinder blocks. Maybe pavers, not sure about extending the legs.
Maybe an adapter plate to move the jacks down if you don't need much. That might cause leverage on the mount with lateral movement I'd be carefull.
Our camper is secured to the bed with lifting eyes. https://www.chicagoh...liftingeyes.htm
All four pull the camper forward onto the rubber bumpers with turnbuckles, large washers were used to stop tearing the sheet metal.
If you need storage a drawer, or pocket under your platform there was a thread on here about that I think.
Starcraft would be a good place to ask about their ideas on securing and min height between camper and cab.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

Looking at the tiedown points in your photos makes me think you need external tie downs. Torklift makes models that bolt to the truck frame that are very secure. The camper is fastened by chain and turnbuckle or solid rod with lever tensioners. I’d visit an RV place that sells truck campers and look at the different styles/products.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users