• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

Now that I don't have work intruding on my time I am getting to a few items with the Granby. I bought a 48"X25' roll of reflectix insulation with is basically bubblewrap cover with aluminum foil on both sides. I plan on making an insulating layer around the popup sides but I started with a couple of small jobs. 1st my roof vent was apparently insulated at one time but what remained was like a thin layer of fungus. I used spray on contact adhesive on both sides then cut and pasted.
Posted Image

The next task was to line the inside of the propane tank compartment, seemed like there was no insulation between it and the inside of the camper. Tight fit but better insulated now.
Posted Image

I think this stuff is about $ .50 a square foot.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#2 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

I see I'm buying reflectix this weekend.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

Nice. In addition you could use that (or that hard foam board) to line the sides of your camper (inside the box) if you have room in the fit between the box and camper.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:01 AM

Unfortunately I don't have any room on the side for insulation as there is about 1/2" total clearance on the sides but I'll keep investigating. The access to the front turnbuckles is a good source for cold infiltration but that is usually covered with the dogs' sleeping bag/mat etc so it gets insulated that way. And for the windows I have been using the thermarest.

Not too far back was a thread about steps. Here is a picture of a hitch extender with a welded on step that came from Harbor Freight. Some of their stuff is crap but this seems fine and was only $25. I may bolt a motorcycle carrier rail that I have onto it and see if I can carry my 250 on there when I don't take the trailer.

Posted Image
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#5 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:27 PM

this looks like the same stuff http://www.pplmotorh...-insulation.htm
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#6 jeffyg

jeffyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:30 PM

i have looked everywhere in my home town to no luck.... shame it looks like good stuff i am thinking i am going to try with some of the 2' blue closed cell camping mats that you can get anywhere. probably not nearly as good but has to be better than nothing and cheap too

just getting home to get the rig ready for my 6000km (on way) trip so ill see what i can sort out

#7 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:17 AM

JedffyG

Why not get some of the reflextic stuff while traveling? I think all the home depots carry them. Probably a lot better than the blue foam, in my opinion.

Have a good trip and write often.

dave

#8 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:53 PM

i have looked everywhere in my home town to no luck.... shame it looks like good stuff i am thinking i am going to try with some of the 2' blue closed cell camping mats that you can get anywhere. probably not nearly as good but has to be better than nothing and cheap too

just getting home to get the rig ready for my 6000km (on way) trip so ill see what i can sort out

No homedepot or lowes near by? Both of them carry it.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#9 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:54 PM

Reflectix is great!

I just did my last "shakedown" trip of one week and had some really cold temps, water pump freezing, etc. So I went to town with that stuff, did the inside of the propane compartment, even the door with cool vents. Then I pulled the galley panel off and put foam insulation around the plumbing, reflectix under the sink and behind the drawer, all around the propane compartment from the inside.
I then made two custom window inserts for the front slider and side window. The latter has a open and close feature for the louvered vents and slot for the knob to open it.

All in all I think it will work well for the future, especially when I get my Arctic Pack for the upper in a day or so.

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#10 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

Amazingly....here in the heart of "Snow Country" our Home Depot doesn't stock reflectix!

Good job, kodachrome. It's tell-tale when you look into the cabinetry how it's wide open to the cold....especially if you got the hot water heater option. Yup, these units must be made somewhere warm where it rarely freezes. LOL. On the same topic....have you come up with any good ideas for a drain below the water pump? It could be >much< easier for my tastes!

mtn

Wherever ya go...there ya are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users