• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#11 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

Amazingly....here in the heart of "Snow Country" our Home Depot doesn't stock reflectix!

Good job, kodachrome. It's tell-tale when you look into the cabinetry how it's wide open to the cold....especially if you got the hot water heater option. Yup, these units must be made somewhere warm where it rarely freezes. LOL. On the same topic....have you come up with any good ideas for a drain below the water pump? It could be >much< easier for my tastes!

mtn

Installing a shut off in between the pump and tank is something I would like to do in the future, but it looks tough. There is just not a lot of room between the pump and tank, maybe an inch of tubing including what is on the fittings.

The pump only froze up when it was 14F overnight and I was not using the camper. When I am in it, the temp is never below freezing so the water is fine, especially with the new insulation everywhere. I think by my timed tests ( how long it takes the temp to drop 5 degrees once the furnace is off ) I gained about 15% efficiency with the cabinet insulation mods and another 15% from the window covers. I still lose a lot of heat out of the top though, so once I get the Arctic Pack up there, I am hoping for a another 25% from that since heat rises...and escapes.

I am a pretty cold sleeper in the Winter, like it around 50-55 for efficiency sake. Then I up it to 65 when I am up and about. It's not hard to manage from 20F and up, it is below 20F that gets tougher to work with. I figure when is is well below zero, like -15 to -30F, I would consider sleeping on the fold out couch "stealth" style for even more efficiency by keeping the top down.

Mods, mods and more mods...:-)

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#12 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:47 PM

I figure when is is well below zero, like -15 to -30F, I would consider sleeping on the fold out couch "stealth" style for even more efficiency by keeping the top down.

Mods, mods and more mods...:-)

You get a "Hardcore Award" then :o
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#13 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,555 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:54 AM

I would consider sleeping on the fold out couch "stealth" style for even more efficiency by keeping the top down.

Just keep in mind depending on how your couch/furnace are set up the bed might block the vent, just make sure that isn't an issue before hand.

However the top down does hold heat rather well. We had a 50min wait with 30deg temps in road construction in Sequoia nation park a week ago and we had just started the truck so it wasn't hot. Instead of idling it we just hoped in the back, fired up the heater to mid 60's and it only lost a couple deg by the time we got out 40min later.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#14 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:39 AM

You get a "Hardcore Award" then :o

Me? Nah......

Attached Thumbnails

• Capitol.jpg

Instagram

#15 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:44 AM

Just keep in mind depending on how your couch/furnace are set up the bed might block the vent, just make sure that isn't an issue before hand.

However the top down does hold heat rather well. We had a 50min wait with 30deg temps in road construction in Sequoia nation park a week ago and we had just started the truck so it wasn't hot. Instead of idling it we just hoped in the back, fired up the heater to mid 60's and it only lost a couple deg by the time we got out 40min later.

Good to hear on the hoping in the back...

I already ran the clearance test, it clears well. I also use the table bottom to divert the heat to a direction more into the cabin. I get my Arctic Pack tomorrow, off to Denver Thursday for a security device install and then up to the badlands in S. Dakota and beyond for over two weeks.

One goal for my project is to spend 3-4 days at a big old fashioned truck stop in Gillette Wyoming this Winter and hopefully get stuck in a big fat snowstorm for some great photography. It tends to get darn cold up there...

Instagram

#16 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:08 AM

One goal for my project is to spend 3-4 days at a big old fashioned truck stop in Gillette Wyoming this Winter and hopefully get stuck in a big fat snowstorm for some great photography. It tends to get darn cold up there...

I think you're late :lol: But that sounds like it could yield some "cool" photos. Watch out for the lot lizards :o

#17 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:16 AM

I think you're late :lol: But that sounds like it could yield some "cool" photos. Watch out for the lot lizards :o

Oh, now there is a good subject, haha! Talk about "hardcore"...:-O

Instagram

#18 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

I built a deflector for the heater in my Hawk that works well to keep the person on the bottom from becoming "well done" while the folks on the top bunk are still 'thawing'...

It's crude...but it works. The metal portion is a paint strainer that sits on top of your roller pan...."custom" bent to grab in the right places and hang onto the furnace....and the plastic shield that deflects the heat (can be moved up or down) is part of a cut up "e-collar" for a dog that is merely affixed with twisty ties.

I made it to see if it would help/work...fully intending to make something else later that looked a bit better....but after using it all winter last year and liking the result, I got out the stove paint...painted it...and now...well...she's good to go!

mtn

Attached Thumbnails

• nono 025 Large e-mail view.jpg

Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#19 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

Oh, now there is a good subject, haha! Talk about "hardcore"...:-O

I had never heard the term until I was involved in reviewing some research on sexually transmitted diseases at truck stops. Maybe you should get one of these stickers as well as a WTW one.
Posted Image

#20 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:00 PM

As has already been pointed out the turnbuckle doors are a problem. Stuffing a small dog in front is one solution but may not fit all needs (and you need 4 dogs).
Any other ideas on what could be placed out side the door that might insulate and cut down on air infiltration? I thought of a small down pillow but it is likely to get wet out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users