• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

As has already been pointed out the turnbuckle doors are a problem. Stuffing a small dog in front is one solution but may not fit all needs (and you need 4 dogs).
Any other ideas on what could be placed out side the door that might insulate and cut down on air infiltration? I thought of a small down pillow but it is likely to get wet out there.

I plan to put a flap of reflectix insulation over them this fall.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

2007 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto and slowly progressing build.

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#22 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

I built a deflector for the heater in my Hawk that works well to keep the person on the bottom from becoming "well done" while the folks on the top bunk are still 'thawing'...

It's crude...but it works. The metal portion is a paint strainer that sits on top of your roller pan...."custom" bent to grab in the right places and hang onto the furnace....and the plastic shield that deflects the heat (can be moved up or down) is part of a cut up "e-collar" for a dog that is merely affixed with twisty ties.

I made it to see if it would help/work...fully intending to make something else later that looked a bit better....but after using it all winter last year and liking the result, I got out the stove paint...painted it...and now...well...she's good to go!

mtn

I like the topo map on the fridge door in this pic, I have a ton of these from over the years, been trying to figure out how to pretty up our old icebox in the fleet. Was going to use peel and stick veneer but I just might laminate a topo and throw that on there instead.
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#23 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:10 AM

what? Ya don't like my deflector? Posted Image

The map is just stuck in there....had to cut it and give it a bit of 'persuasion' in spots but it has held on so far.

My idea..eventually...is to cover the entire cabinetry with a large topo...LOL. Friggin fake woodgrain... ughhh.

Glad now I didn't get the Z-Brick option. (snicker) Posted Image

mtn

Wherever ya go...there ya are.

#24 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

In addition to the metal sided Reflectix there is one designed for placing under poured concrete. It has metal on one side and white plastic on the other. I have found the plastic to be very durable (use it in my hot tub). This kind of Reflectix may be better in external applications where it will be seen or exposed to the elements.

#25 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

In addition to the metal sided Reflectix there is one designed for placing under poured concrete. It has metal on one side and white plastic on the other. I have found the plastic to be very durable (use it in my hot tub). This kind of Reflectix may be better in external applications where it will be seen or exposed to the elements.

Nice work, I'm planning to do the same thing but have gotten side tracked at the moment.
2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi auto w/ ride rite air springs and 1999(2000?) Hawk

FYI: I've got a bunch of extra 14ga wire in red and black. Its a thick jacket 41strand wire (likely MTW wire) verse typical 19strand automotive wire. It has good flexibility but factor in the thick jacket. I'll ship out 100' coils for $18 (I can go 50' of ea for that too) if anyone is in need of wire.

#26 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

Is it available at the usual places? Home Despot etc?

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

Hittheroad, thanks for posting the photos with the floor pack insulated. After our first camper journeys were in cold weather, we're getting to know where all the cold spots and cold air leaks are. This looks like a simple solution to try. If anyone knows a source for this, please post. Thanks.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#28 Phil

Phil

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/reflective-foil-insulation.htm
1999 Grandby FWC

#29 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,549 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/reflective-foil-insulation.htm

He was referring to the stuff posted above for concrete that has the plastic on one side rather than foil on both. The regular foil stuff can be found and most homedepot or lowes stores.

#30 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

I use FarmTek.com
But you have to buy a whole roll.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users