• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#81 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

If you look on the Vanagon and Syncro forums you will see lots and lots of people who use Refletix, although there it is mainly used for sound proofing.  When I had my Vanagon Syncro I covered the whole interior and underside of seats and cabinets with it.  It made a substantial difference in sound deadening.  It also made a significant difference in making the van warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.  But I am not sure how much help it would be keeping heat out on the camper vs the Syncro as the syncro is basically a tin can without an ounce of insulation in it so I think that almost anything would have made a lot of difference.  It would clearly make a big difference anywhere there is a window or clear vent as Refletix is basically like a lot of the fold out shades that go into the front window and they really help with the heat..  For the windows and my one clear vent I just sewed the velcro on to the refletix and it worked fine for years.  I plan on doing the same thing on my Fleet as soon as I stop procrastinating.

#82 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:34 PM

@ carld, the discussion beginning on lower Pg. 2 in this thread: http://www.wanderthe...-weather/page-2  may be pertinent to your summer situation, as it has been for mine here in AZ.  You can rest assured that a cheapo Reflectix solution will certainly result in a cooler summer or warmer winter inside your camper, no matter what configuration you might decide to mount it in.  Then again, so would an authentic arctic-pack.  Good luck on whatever you determine to do.

Rico.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#83 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:08 PM

reflectix insulation??? should you buy the bubble inside one or the foam inside one?????

#84 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:53 PM

I think the following comments from the linked article are appropriate and accurate. I recommend reading the article - carefully - it is worth the time to do so:

"If you don't provide air space, this product <Reflectix> provides almost no insulating value. The rubber meets the road on Reflectix's website, where it says, "No Air Space = No Reflective Insulation Benefit. (An R-1.1 is provided from the product itself for the Reflective/Double Bubble material.)"

"If you've got air space, why laboriously suspend a shiny Bubble Wrap in the center of it when you can just fill it with far more effective fiberglass batt insulation?"

"That is a question you will need to answer yourself."

https://www.thespruc...ulation-1821923

Edited by ckent323, 20 February 2020 - 08:55 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users