Awning Alu alu-cab shadow swift fwc tacoma bracket brace

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:05 AM

At the NorthWest Overland Rally we had the opportunity to look at the Alu-Cab 270 Deg Shadow Awning in person, we really liked the construction and that it can handle higher winds than our Batwing awning without the legs being deployed. Since we live in the desert and winds are very common this is an important feature for us. Our existing Batwing will hold up to wind as well but they recommend always using the legs and staking them down, I really prefer the free span option of the Alu-Cab. After returning home from the rally we sold the Batwing and purchased a Shadow unit.

The coverage is also slightly better with the Alu-Cab and it uses a more square shape, you can get a idea from these two drawings.

Batwing

foxwing_dimensions-M.jpg

Shadow

IMG_1754-XL.jpg

Batwing removed from the truck. Here you can see the factory FWC 1/4" stainless mounts for the Batwing, we will re-use these mounts for the Shadow awning and fabricate a 4th bracket as well for additional hinge support. The bolts go through the frame and have backing plates on the inside wall.

P7191837-X2.jpg

Here is a shot of the Batwing next to the Shadow awning. The shadow is a little larger and not as compact when collapsed.

IMG_1726-X2.jpg

IMG_1728-X2.jpg

Differences in mounting requirements. The Batwing uses an extruded rail along the back of the awning allowing for a lot of adjustment and easy installation. The Shadow has mounting holes on the internal framework and the bag completely encloses the mount, you need to pick your mounting holes then punch a hold through the bag for the bolts to pass through.

IMG_1731-X2.jpg

This is what allows the Shadow awning to remain free-spanning in higher winds (up to 20+ mph). The support arms on the Shadow are completely boxed for added strength and fully welded at the hinge assembly where the Batwing uses lighter open C-channel tubing and a extruded/riveted hinge assy. Again the Batwing works just fine and is slightly lighter (by 6 lbs) and more compact but does need to be staked down with legs in higher winds.

Batwing

IMG_1738-X2.jpg

Shadow

IMG_1737-X2.jpg

With the help of 3 people we held the Shadow awning up in place and determined how far back the rear hinge needed to be. Once that was determined we started marking out the hole locations on the awning mounting brackets to match up to the FWC brackets. Since our awning brackets are already mounted on the camper we will modify the holes on the awning to match the brackets.

P7191846-X2.jpg

The existing brackets on the camper have a wider bolt pattern than the awning so a few new holes were in order.

P7191848-X2.jpg

The 3rd mounting bracket on the camper (rear most bracket) is located right where the hinge assembly starts in the awning, preventing me from drilling holes in this location. Since the bracket is already on the camper we will modify the bracket by adding a stainless extension and move the mounting location slightly forward for clearance.

Fabricating the extension out of 1/4" stainless to match the OEM mounts.

P7191852-X2.jpg

It will be welded onto the bracket at this location.

P7191858-X2.jpg

Welding the extension tab on the rear OEM awning mount.

P7201865-X2.jpg

P7201866-X2.jpg

P7201871-X2.jpg

Next up was to fabricate a stainless backing plate for the mount directly behind the hinge, this mount takes the majority of the load when the awning is extended so it needs to be very secure. A custom mount will need to be fabricated for this 4th mounting location.

P7201882-X2.jpg

P7201885-X2.jpg

Supporting the weight of the awning from the rafter while we fabricate the hinge support.

P7201891-X2.jpg

We were busy and I didn't go a great job at taking pictures, so now the awning is magically on the truck and the 4th support bracket is built and installed lol.

P7201894-X2.jpg

P7201903-X2.jpg

Continued Below...

My 4wd Sprinter Build: CLICK HERE

My Unimog U1300L Build:  CLICK HERE

My VW Syncro Westy Build:  CLICK HERE

My Tacoma/FWC  Builds: CLICK HERE

Ride Report - In Memory Of The Crewmen: CLICK HERE

#2 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:05 AM

Continued From Above...

Here you can see the stainless steel hinge support. After looking at several different options we decided to support the rear of the awning off the Jack mount. This mount ended up being very low profile and offers a ton of support, the awning is rock solid when deployed.

P7201896-X2.jpg

P7201898-X2.jpg

P7201907-X2.jpg

P7201925-X2.jpg

I re-purposed the Batwing catch that was already on the camper, it is now the latch point for the Shadow tension strap.

P7201910-X2.jpg

I like this flip up leg on the center arm, it slopes the top so rain will run off and not pool up.

P7201911-X2.jpg

Not the best shots as the light was getting low but you can see the coverage of the shadow awning. Living in the desert the shade will be appreciated :-). It's amazing how solid this awning feels, just like their commercial I can pull myself up on the center arm and it barely moves!

P7201922-X2.jpg

P7201906-X2.jpg

P7201924-X2.jpg

Couple shots from up above, you can really see the massive coverage in these shots.

P7210006-X2.jpg

P7210009-X2.jpg

And one last side by side of the Batwing compared to the Shadow.

Batwing

P3060089-X3.jpg

Shadow

P7201924-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

Edited by Hodakaguy, 23 July 2018 - 01:06 AM.

#3 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 23 July 2018 - 11:35 PM

Hodakaguy,

Just wanted to compliment you on yet another excellent write-up and photo journaling. I love seeing your postings, and am always amazed at the detail and the excellent pictures of the process. I wish I knew how to get full size pictures into a post like you do. Anyhow great job, looks like a very nice awning set up that will provide ample shelter. Thanks for posting!

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#4 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:08 PM

Great job documenting your work and posting the photos, It really appears there are a number of advantages to the Alum Cab Shadow over the Batwing. I have been considering a awning for quite awhile and this was very helpful. I wish I was as skilled with fabrication as you are. 

I don't think FWC dealers will install the Shadow, does anyone know of a shop that installs the Shadow? Preferably somewhere in Utah, Colorado, NM, TX area.

Thanks for sharing.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#5 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:10 PM

Hodakaguy,

Just wanted to compliment you on yet another excellent write-up and photo journaling. I love seeing your postings, and am always amazed at the detail and the excellent pictures of the process. I wish I knew how to get full size pictures into a post like you do. Anyhow great job, looks like a very nice awning set up that will provide ample shelter. Thanks for posting!

Poky

Thanks, I enjoy typing up the progress after the days work :-). I upload my photos to Smugmug, then link them to the forum. Smugmug has been pretty good so far.

Hodakaguy

#6 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

Great job documenting your work and posting the photos, It really appears there are a number of advantages to the Alum Cab Shadow over the Batwing. I have been considering a awning for quite awhile and this was very helpful. I wish I was as skilled with fabrication as you are.

I don't think FWC dealers will install the Shadow, does anyone know of a shop that installs the Shadow? Preferably somewhere in Utah, Colorado, NM, TX area.
Thanks for sharing.

Contact Chris at Rocky Mountain FWC, they sell the shadow awning and do installs on FWC’s as well. Chris would be able to set you up :-)

I’m very happy with the Shadow Awning, looking forward to getting a lot of use out of it!

Hodakaguy

Edited by Hodakaguy, 24 July 2018 - 02:13 PM.

#7 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 24 July 2018 - 10:55 PM

Great post Tom...

Is there a camper and truck in the pics?  I can never see past your garage and all the tools you have!  And your fabricating skills!  Outstanding!  Thanks for sharing!

South Carolina Low Country.  

#8 Rob85

Rob85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 04:15 AM

Awesome Awning and build...

#9 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 02:50 AM

Hodakaguy,

From your photos, it looks like there are no legs to put down on the Shadow awning. Do you in fact have the ability to put down legs and stake it down like on the Batwing. I know I sleep a lot better at night when I know my awning is staked down hard? My Batwing has withstood much higher than 20 mph winds when it is staked down. I have a system of 3 "S" hooks, 3 cords with loops in the end and 3 stakes that make it bomber with not much effort at all.

#10 coloradoclimber97

coloradoclimber97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:16 PM

Hodakaguy,

From your photos, it looks like there are no legs to put down on the Shadow awning. Do you in fact have the ability to put down legs and stake it down like on the Batwing. I know I sleep a lot better at night when I know my awning is staked down hard? My Batwing has withstood much higher than 20 mph winds when it is staked down. I have a system of 3 "S" hooks, 3 cords with loops in the end and 3 stakes that make it bomber with not much effort at all.

Camper Rich,

Any chance you could post a couple pics of your tie-down system?  I also have the batwing and spend an inordinate amount of time securing it so I can sleep at night.  I have been looking for a better, quicker way to deploy and not spend an hour making it bomber.

Thanks,

Mark

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Awning, Alu, alu-cab, shadow, swift, fwc, tacoma, bracket, brace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users