• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 rustyshackleford55

rustyshackleford55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:19 PM

Hey TC friends, my current insurance provider USAA doesn't seem to have a clue what a truck camper is, how to insure it, and generally is terrible with my current hail damage claim here in Colorado.

USAA continues to ask for the vin, RV information, and refer to it as a roof top camper despite my corrections. USAA also doesn't seem to have a way to reference the camper in a claim, they keep asking if the damage was to my truck or my wife's car.

Any insurance companies you guy suggest that seem to understand what a TC is and how to cover it?

#2 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:35 PM

Allstate in New Mexico doesn't seem to have any problem knowing what a truck camper is and it is covered by my truck policy without additional fee. I brought the cost of my FWC to my agent's attention and she wasn't concerned. Of course, I've not had to make a claim either, so some might say the rubber has not yet met the road.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:50 PM

First Bill I also have Alstate and have separate coverage for the camper.

Years ago the camper was covered under home owners insurance.

When I added the camper to coverage I gave the agent a picture of our rig to add to the file.

Now I have never made a claim and I guess you don't know how good your coverage is until than.

The agents always tell you one thing but when you have a claim it might be different.

I have had Allstate since 1968,WOW 50 years.

Oh well in all those years haven't had any problems but haven't had any claims.

When I did use them was for other people hitting me,and they stood by us 100%.

Second, Rusty have you sent your agent a picture of your truck/camper?

Keep us posted.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 rustyshackleford55

rustyshackleford55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

I'll let you know how the claim goes, just very apprehensive about using USAA after this

#5 coloradoclimber97

coloradoclimber97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

Hey Rusty, I recently added my 2018 Fleet shell to my auto policy with State Farm and had no problems.   I provided them the MSO, purchase agreement and serial numbers and they were good to go.  The camper is worth twice as much as the truck (09 Toy Tacoma), and the additional charge was only $60 for six months coverage. As someone else mentioned though, it's all easy until you make a claim.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:32 PM

Hey Rusty, I recently added my 2018 Fleet shell to my auto policy with State Farm and had no problems. I provided them the MSO, purchase agreement and serial numbers and they were good to go. The camper is worth twice as much as the truck (09 Toy Tacoma), and the additional charge was only $60 for six months coverage. As someone else mentioned though, it's all easy until you make a claim.

If your SF policy is like mine, understand that it’s not covered when removed from the truck at any site other than your property, or property you rent (e.g. a rented storage facility).

I am haunted by waters

#7 coloradoclimber97

coloradoclimber97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:26 AM

If your SF policy is like mine, understand that it’s not covered when removed from the truck at any sit other than your property, or property you rent (e.g. a rented storage facility).

I did not realize that, thanks for pointing it out.  As always Sage, I appreciate your input as I store the shell at an offsite location which is  susceptible to hail just like the OP.

Mark

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:29 AM

Mark, you’re welcome.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:10 AM

We use USAA for everything - except camper insurance. They don't do that as you have found out. We have Progressive just for our camper. Less than $100/yr. 

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#10 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 27 July 2018 - 11:07 AM

You could drive it over their big shiny office in Colorado Springs and show it to them. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users