41 replies to this topic

#11 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for sharing!

What is the lower bed setup going to be?

We just bought a hawk shell and are planning to build a larger front dinette that will sleep two crossways and also allow for seating for all four of us.

#12 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

My kids can't sleep side by side in the same bed, the older one always complains the little one kicks her all night.  So I need to create two separate sleeping areas.  One will go along the passenger side, and the other will go along the front, basically creating a big "L" shape.  These beds will fold up to create bench seats, and fold down to create 2 bed platforms each about 23" wide and about 6' long. The folding part is accomplished with a piano hinge. I'll post the photos in a few days. My only concern is the kids rolling off in the middle of the night, especially the younger one.

#13 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:10 PM

Started working on the bench seats and lower bed platforms.  On the passenger side this is the bench seat folded out to the bed platform that is 23" wide (no cushions yet)...

i-qMCJPvQ-M.jpg

You can see the piano hinge there, and when you fold the two parts to about a 90 degree you slide the lower part back toward the window and it creates a bench seat.  I am going to do the same thing along the front bench/bed with a piano hinge.  In the corner is a stationary part that completes the "L" shape of the two lower beds. It will have a hinge along the wall so you can open it and access the storage space under it. Still working on the supports under the plywood for when the bed is deployed.

i-k8mXdQN-M.jpg

On the driver's side is a bench that is primarily for sitting, and helps complete the "L" shape of the lower beds.  It also will have a hinge along the wall that allows access to the storage space under it.

i-SLvsnML-M.jpg

i-QRQWWCs-M.jpg

Edited by BlueSky, 07 August 2018 - 09:40 PM.

#14 arg

arg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:21 PM

BlueSky, not trying to hijack the thread (maybe send me a PM), please comment on why you choose the shell size that overhangs the rear of the box, by what looks like 10 inches.  Are you going to run with the tailgate on the truck?  Did ATC comment on the overhang?  Thanks.

#15 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:50 PM

That's a good question.  ATC said no problem on the overhang just as long as you don't heavily load up the rear of the camper that hangs out.  Mine will have the furnace and cooler back there and a few things in the storage box I made. On the 2nd Gen Tundra if you put the tailgate down you can't get the spare tire rod thing into the little hole, so you can't lower your spare tire.  So, I took the tailgate off.  I wanted to maximize the space in the camper, so I got the 8 foot long version.  Truck handles fine, and I have a back-up camera to help in that regard.  It looks a little funky, but when you see the final build with all the stuff on the roof it will look like the Beverly Hillbillies truck going down the road!

#16 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

This one is probably going to void my warranty, but here goes...

Driver's side space behind the wheel arch and in front of the turnbuckle access hole.

i-RR7BzD7-M.jpg

i-mVfg4DP-M.jpg

i-8M6QtQ7-M.jpg

Our frying pans and plates fit perfectly in there, but the cut got a little rough on the inside and I had to do some wood filler and sanding, and that really messed up the gray paint.  I had no gray paint laying around, but a gallon of white semi-gloss, so white it is...

i-5QBmPJH-M.jpg

Added a door with self closing hinges and a Footman loop pull handle

i-gHqj9PS-M.jpg

#17 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

Got the bench seating/beds nearly done, the white paint really brightened things up...

i-ttkvhLL-M.jpg

Working on the upholstery this weekend.  I bought 1" extra firm high density foam, and layering 2" of memory foam I already had laying around.  This will be comfortable enough for the kids to sleep on while not being too bulky for seating cushions.

#18 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 12 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

In case you've never sewed upholstery fabric, my foam guy gave me these tips:

Make the size of the sewed fabric 1" smaller than the dimension of the foam all the way around to insure a nice tight fabric cover. It was fun stuffing the foam inside, but the fabric is still nice and tight after many years. 

Double sew the seams, about 1/4" apart, with a generous seam allowance of about 3/4". If you don't get the size small enough for a nice tight fit of the fabric over the foam you can always go in and sew it again smaller. Especially if you find, like others have, that memory foam becomes like a hard brick when it gets cold.

FYI, I used 4" foam, don't know the density as I just trust my foam guy to make it right for my intended use. I also have small wood edges to keep the cushions in place. They stick up about 1.5" and when we are sitting we never feel them on the back of our legs.

Here's what mine look like after following my foam guy's advice.

gallery_2702_1169_6701.jpg

BTW, Nice work so far.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 12 August 2018 - 02:58 PM.

#19 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

Nice build. Looking forward to seeing whats next :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#20 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the tips Alley-Kat.

I did mine a little different, stapled the material under the plywood rather than making cushions...

In bench seating config...

i-R39h9FC-M.jpg 

In lower bed config, sleeps two, one along side window and one along front...

i-4LpMmxL-M.jpg

Here's some detail on how I did the sliding support parts...

i-mXDbKcC-M.jpg

i-KsMtMnk-M.jpg

i-25VTXNd-M.jpg

So now time to work on the kitchen galley.  When it is all done the Lagun table will swing out into the area surrounded by the bench seats, and then swing back and stow above the sink/stove.  Lots of work, thanks for the support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users