9 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:08 AM

I've been following backcountry road damage reports from the latest series of flash floods. This was posted yesterday - 30 July 2018 - on the Park's road condition page -

Here are our most recent road updates:

The following roads are CLOSED due to flood damage: West Side Road, Big Pine/Death Valley Road, Titus Canyon Road, Natural Bridge Road, and Twenty Mule Team Canyon. We do not have predicted opening dates for these roads.

Upper Wildrose Road: Some food damage. High clearance is recommended from the end of the pavement to the Charcoal Kilns. High clearance and 4x4 recommended to reach Thorndike and Mahogany Flat campgrounds.

Racetrack Road: Multiple areas of debris and washouts. High clearance and 4x4 REQUIRED. The road is washed out at mile 13 and very hard to see between mile 15 and 18 as it travels through the wash. Signficant damage around miles 19, 20, 21, and 24. Exercise extreme caution!

Lippincott Road: Very severe storm damage. The road has been washed out in multiple places leaving exposed rock, boulders, and extremely narrow off camber sections. Washouts are 1-2 feet deep. The worst section is 2-2.5 miles from the top. 4x4 LOW required- locking differential may be needed. Wider full sized trucks may find the road impassable.

Saline Valley Road: Multiple areas of debris and washouts. Very rough and rocky. High clearance and 4x4 needed. Severe washouts toward North Pass and the Big Pine Road closure.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:16 AM

Wow quit the damage.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:41 AM

Those must have been some storms... wow!

I am haunted by waters

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:13 AM

People just don't realize the impact of flash floods can have in the desert. Still remember, that  while doing field problems in the Arizona desert while in the army, we were looking for a place to camp for the night. Well we had a brand brand new 2nd LT as our new platoon leader, who said " hey this dry wash looks like a nice place to camp". "No " our platoon sgt said, "we have flash floods here all the time and see  those dark looking clouds over those mountains, that  could mean , this dry wash could flood fast." well new 2nd Lts' being   what they are, we camped there as our PLT SGT said "yes sir" and told us to prepare for the rain just in case.and yes it rained that night and we had a nice flash flood and  the water reached the bumper of our duce and a halfs. I think that's why they try to give new  LT's' a good sgt to show him the ropes. Must be a moral there about desert camping, flash floods,  and 2nd LTs some where! Still remember that after all these years-hope this is not a hi-jack!

Smoke

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 01 August 2018 - 01:16 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:25 AM

Butter Bars can be hard headed but the smart ones listen to the NCO's :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:26 PM

Up early and listening to the news... Death Valley was also reported to have the hottest July ever (as did many of the western cities) and the hottest reported day on earth at 127° (52.7778° C). Oregon State University was cited as the source.

I am haunted by waters

#7 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:32 PM

After reading about DV here on WTW we maid our maiden voyage out there in the February after Scotty's Castle was destroyed.
We had a rented SUV and on a particular day decided to go to The Racetrack and camp past there.
We made it out there and had a chance to walk around but noticed the sky getting very dark and after noting that we had crossed several washes to get out there we decided to get back.
We barely made it to the campground near the crater and the storm blew in....we survived in our Nemo tent but didn't sleep at all that night. Several people come up to us the next morning asking if we were OK. If I had to do it over again I would have slept in the SUV.

Mother Nature should always be respected...

Edited by smlobx, 01 August 2018 - 05:34 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#8 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:45 PM

With events/outcomes such as described, it's a bit easier to envision the formation of the vast alluvial fans seen in many, many places all over the world. Likewise, the extensive conglomerate and fanglomerate horizons now caught up in more classic stratigraphic sections make a lot of sense when one sees how a single season's rain events in DV affect the surface today.

Really old geology, old geology, much younger geology, and geologic processes under way as we watch--Death Valley has it all!

Foy

Edited by Foy, 01 August 2018 - 07:47 PM.

#9 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:51 PM

A couple pics from Devils Gate and Death Valley Road near the 168. Every road I recently traveled in the Inyos and Whites showed signs of recent impact from rain storms.

20180724_102635-jpg.2820626

20180724_104306-jpg.2820636

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#10 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:53 PM

Wow!

(my pre-coffee response :) )

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users