• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:35 PM

I've been thinking about purchasing a portable solar panel for a while and have noticed that Renogy offers a 100 watt flexible solar panel kit for around $280.00.  I seldom stay in one place for more than a day or two and only run my Truckfridge and Fantastic fan when cooking so the only time I've run the battery down (100ah VMaxtank) is after 4days without a charge. I don't anticipate having to use a solar charger more 2-3 times a year and it won't be permanently mounted. I like that the Renogy panel only weighs 4 lbs!!

Any opinions pro's or con's or what to look for re: flexible panels would be much appreciated. 

Thanks all!!

https://www.renogy.c...e-solar-rv-kit/

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#2 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

My 2c.

I like "Folding" over "Flexible" as easier to store. Unless you want to roll up and store as a Tube?

(I wish someone would use Flexible as an Awning that would be cool....!?)

I use:

ACOPOWER 12V 105W Portable Solar Panel Kit

Which is actually made by SunPower and a nice compact kit and about 5-6Lbs.

#3 Lineman

Lineman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:28 AM

That kit looks like it would do what you want.

I agree with knoxswift, folding would be easier to store. These flexible panels can't be folded or rolled up, so it would be awkward to store in the camper.

I would suggest permanently mounting your solar system. That way it is always working for you with no effort in your part. I have had HQST brand flexible panels (from Amazon) stuck to the roof of my camper with 3m vhb tape for 2 years now and they have held up well and perform good.

#4 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:08 AM

My 2c.

I like "Folding" over "Flexible" as easier to store. Unless you want to roll up and store as a Tube?

(I wish someone would use Flexible as an Awning that would be cool....!?)

I use:

ACOPOWER 12V 105W Portable Solar Panel Kit

Which is actually made by SunPower and a nice compact kit and about 5-6Lbs.

Thanks !! The more portable (small) the better. I'll be taking a look at the Acopower Kit. How long have you been using it? 

#5 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:22 AM

That kit looks like it would do what you want.

I agree with knoxswift, folding would be easier to store. These flexible panels can't be folded or rolled up, so it would be awkward to store in the camper.

I would suggest permanently mounting your solar system. That way it is always working for you with no effort in your part. I have had HQST brand flexible panels (from Amazon) stuck to the roof of my camper with 3m vhb tape for 2 years now and they have held up well and perform good.

Back to the drawing board. I really want a portable setup because it's extremely dusty here, pine and oak pollen everywhere,pine sap, falling branches,pinecones and acorns constantly peppering my truck and camper not to mention the wild turkeys roosting on them. I'll be looking for a folding setup that takes the least amount of storage space as possible. Open to suggestions!! 

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:24 AM

You can look at Overland Solar.  Might cost a little more but good quality and customer support.

https://overlandsola...v-solar-systems

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

Wow, those are crazy expensive for what they are!

I currently have a 100w semi flexible for a portable panel - super light, but kind of  a pain to store and deploy as it is ~ 20 x 45".

Something like this may be a good compromise, light and compact (although I can't speak for this particular model):

https://www.amazon.c...p_85:2470955011

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#8 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:49 PM

Whatever you do get a MPPT controller instead of a PWM. You'll receive somewhere in the area of 30% more charge over the lifetime of your panel and that will allow you to purchase a smaller, and easier to store, one. I'm not sure why a quick wipe to clean a fixed panel would be any more difficult than having to deploy a portable one but it may be in your case.

#9 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 16 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

I use a Renogy 100W flexible panel as a portable.  When I take it with me, I just take it in the original cardboard box it shipped in, putting it in the camper near the end of loading.  I could also put it in the truck cab behind the seats (which is where I put the box when I use it).

I tend to put it on the windshield, and I take it when I'll be parked in a spot for awhile, and know I'll be in the sun part of the day.

Since it doesn't weigh didly I have no concerns about it losoe in the camper, as it won't damage anything (or be damaged, either), during travel.  I don't take it if I will be traveling each day or just staying one night.  Since I do have roof top solar, I use the back wall plug in and use my internal controller

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#10 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

Thanks !! The more portable (small) the better. I'll be taking a look at the Acopower Kit. How long have you been using it? 

Only about 6 months now.

I use it as a Secondary Panel in parallel to my roof mount for when I'm in shady campsites.

Allows me to put in direction to the sun with the fold-up and built in stands. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users