Photo
- - - - -

Removing/Installing a SWIFT camper with the internal Bed Bar Mounts - Easy Stuff!

bed bars mounts swift internal tie downs tacoma bed

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:53 PM

I posted this in my build thread but thought I would make a seperate post here. I've been asked a couple times how difficult it is to remove and install the Swift camper with the internal tie downs. We swapped the camper over to my fathers truck yesterday and I had a chance to snap some pictures of the process.

Although access is limited to the turn buckles there is plenty of room to get the job done. The biggest tip is to attach the front two turn buckets to the mounts with a snap tie before you load the camper...pics below.

Attaching the jacks.

P8162149-X3.jpg

P8162151-X3.jpg

We fabricated some stand off brackets from some plate steel so the front jacks will clear the fenders of the truck when we drop the camper and pull forward.

P8162152-X3.jpg

The passenger side rear jack mount needed a quick mod to allow the jack to function, when we added the stainless mount to the OEM bracket to support the Shadow awning it caused a slight interference issue when mounting the jack. We fabbed up a quick stand off plate to allow the jack to bolt on with the awning brace in place (Short a couple bolts in these pics).

P8162153-X3.jpg

P8162154-X3.jpg

This adapter allows you to use a drill to run the jacks up and down instead of having to use the hand cranks. Very handy!

P8162162-X3.jpg

Jacks going down, turn buckles removed and camper coming off the truck.

P8162160-X3.jpg

P8162163-X3.jpg

P8162165-X3.jpg

These are the bed bars and camper attach points for the 5' Tacoma trucks, the bars attach to the bed using the factory bed hold down bolts. Tip: To make install easy use a snap tie to attach the front turn buckets to the mounting bar before you install the camper, once the camper is on the truck you can lift up the turn buckle and attach it to the camper without having to fish for the lower tie point. Position the front turn buckles exactly as in this picture before loading the camper, process is quick and easy with this method.

P8162167-X3.jpg

P8162169-X3.jpg

P8162168-X3.jpg

Camper installed on my fathers truck, tire pressures set and air bags inflated...here we are watching some aviation videos and my father and uncle are swapping flying stories :-)

P8162173-X3.jpg

And back outside. We swapped my fathers canopy over to my truck.

Bammmm....they look totally different now lol.

P8162183-X3.jpg

P8162190-X3.jpg

P8162184-X3.jpg

Hodakaguy

Edited by Hodakaguy, 17 August 2018 - 09:57 PM.

My 4wd Sprinter Build: CLICK HERE

My Unimog U1300L Build:  CLICK HERE

My VW Syncro Westy Build:  CLICK HERE

My Tacoma/FWC  Builds: CLICK HERE

Ride Report - In Memory Of The Crewmen: CLICK HERE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bed bars, mounts, swift, internal, tie downs, tacoma, bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users