9 replies to this topic

#1 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 08 June 2006 - 11:55 PM

Hello -

I just found this group and thought I'd join up. I have an Eagle model Four Wheel Camper on the back of my '97 Toyota T100. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of FWC owners online so I was glad to find this site.

I see the host has spent some time in Lake City, CO. I lived there from '95 - '01 and I even guided snowmobiles for the same company he took a tour with. It's a beautiful area. I moved to Wyoming, in late '01 and hope I never have to leave.

I'm big into vehicle dependent expeditions and I enjoy taking trips whether for a weekend or a couple of months, into some of the more remote areas of the western US. The FWC has been a great solution for self sustained travel in remote areas.

If you'd like to read about my most recent trip, a seven day off road adventure in Utah,
click this link - Seven Days in May

Look forward to learning and sharing with like minded souls - :cool:

- K.C.

Attached Thumbnails

• lovin it.jpg

#2 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:08 AM

Welcome to the sight. Nice rig, I'm looking forward to the exchange of ideas and experience in our FWC'S. Nice pics too.

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:11 AM

Welcome K.C.! I'm glad you joined because I have never known ANYONE that could some perspective on living in Lake City. The locals I have met have all been nice, but most of the ones I met seem to be retirees or semi-retirees and their perpective is a bit skewed :)

What was your experience living there? Overall did you like it? Why did you leave?

I drove through Lander a couple of years ago. Seems like a nice place. How do you like living there? I am actively looking for a place to move to in the next couple of years. Where I'm at now is out of control with growth.

I read through some of your report. Good stuff - and great pics! I'll have to read through the whole thing soon.

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:15 AM

Oops, forgot the required camper shot:

Attached Thumbnails

• loaded-camper.jpg

#5 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:18 AM

Nice outfit DirtyDog! And thanks for the welcomes.

Lake City is perfect for two types of people, the semi-retired folks you met and the young and aimless. Most everyone there is escaping from something. There isn't enough there for kids and families. I remember when we were trying to come up with a town slogan for the tourism marketing brochures. My favorite suggestion was, "We're all here because we're not all there." I loved it!

The town really struggles between the old crusties, who want to keep it Colorado's best kept secret and the new arrivals who want to make it like the town they just left. If you can overlook the town shooting itself in the foot, it is paradise. I love to snowmobile so the winters were never long enough but for most folks they are really long. Making a living is tough. Another popular joke in town, "How do you make million dollars in Lake City? Bring two million."

For me Lake City was the last stop on a 2 year cross country wandering. I was working as a cook at various resorts, moving from season to season. I took a summer job at the Crystal Lodge and liked it so much I stayed. I opened my own restaurant, Fiestas, got married and started making babies. Actually my son was the Millineum baby for Lake City, he's in the books! We sold the restaurant, it's now the Blue Iguana, down by the post office and moved to Lander. I might go back when I'm ready to retire, in 2036!

Lander is perfect. Close to the mountains, desert and Yellowstone NP. What sold me on Lander was seeing young kids riding their bikes down Main Street. Where do you see that anymore? It's clean, safe and the weather is great. Wherever my travels takes me, it's always nice to come home to Lander.

Where are you?

#6 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:45 PM

I thought it was funny that 3 out of 4 people you would meet in Lake City were from Texas. People in Silverton called LC "Little Texas". I know what you mean about the crusties and the retirees. I think most people there can agree on some level that they would like to see at least a little change to provide a more stable year round economy. Seems a lot of people and businesses really struggle during the Winter.

I spent a week there last December (stayed at the Crystal Lodge). I loved it. The only real drawback for me was that almost no restaurants were open so getting a hot meal was a crap shoot. In my travels I've never seen another place like LC, it's definately at the top of my list.

I live in Bend, Oregon now which is on the fast track to becoming a big city. It's nuts here.

One of the things I am looking for in a place to move is a lot of public open space so our dogs can run. Plenty of that close to Lander? Preferably on a river....

Attached Thumbnails

• lakecity-winter.jpg

#7 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

Lake City is definitely unique. I like Silverton and Ouray as well, but LC being so isolated really makes it a gem. Having five 14ers in the immediate area helps too!

I first read about Lake City in Peter Jenkin's books, A Walk Across America and The Walk West. His first book details his walk from NY to New Orleans, but it was written during a winter he spent in Lake City, while making the walk west from New Orleans to Portland. Great books that really motivated me to see the area.

I like Bend, it's a real outdoor enthusiast hub. My Dad lives up on the coast near Tillamook. The drive up around Three Sisters is one of my favorites. I can see wanting to find someplace a little less crowded though.

Here's a link to some area info - Wind River Country
and a link to the weirdest river in the west - Sinks Canyon & the Popo Agie River (pronounced Po-Po-zsha)

There is a ton of BLM land around here and the river runs through town. The town will be seeing some growth soon as they just announced a four year college will be built and running in the area by 2010. What I really like is being able to get out in the mountains and desert but never being more than 20 minutes from the house. I looked long and hard around the western US for a safe, small, clean place to raise the kids with as many opportunities for them as possible. I haven't regretted moving to Lander for a single second.

And a funny little aside since we've traveled some of the same roads - On the first day of my trip to Utah, I mentioned in my report bumping into an old Lake City neighbor and employer at a gas station. It was the Guthemillers who own Lake City Auto and who I used to do snowmobile tours for in the winter. I hadn't seen them since leaving LC, so to bump into them in Utah was a real treat.

Small, small world for such a big place.....:cool:

#8 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

If you haven't been to Bend in a while, you wouldn't recognize the place. There are over 75,000 people here now and the census bureau named it the 6th fastest growing city in the nation. It's a rat race. Real estate prices have doubled in just 3 years.

I'll have to check out Lander again. I might have a chance to drive through there on a month long trip I am taking later this summer.

Yup, it's a small World :) What are the odds you would see anyone from LC anywhere outside of LC?

Oh BTW, I was in Moab in May as well. The weather was great and I had a fantastic time. I'd like to make that an annual trip.

#9 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 11 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

Great pix DD. I've done a lot of that trip and loved it and that was before I got the FWC. Have you been into Lavender Canyon? Same area. You get the combo for the lock at the ranger station. I too have a T-100. Great vehicle.

#10 OutbacKamper

OutbacKamper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC, Canada

Posted 15 July 2006 - 02:25 AM

KC;
Thanks for the heads up about this site, I just registered today.
Cheers
Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users