Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#12 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

Was there wiring already on the awning side?:confused:

I take it the hella work light was countersunk?

#13 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:41 PM

The hella is made to be flush mounted HL-200B

http://www.awdirect.com/catalog.cfm

The wiring wasn't there for the side porch light I installed. I took off the track for the sliding bed, unscrewed the interior panel just enough to run wires to the light and drilled a hole through the exterior camper siding. The wires then go under the seat and over to the factory wiring up by the fridge.

I'm thinking the side light will be a good idea as I always bbq on that side and have used a flashlight.

#14 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:02 AM

Looks good. I may steal some of your ideas. Did you vent the battery box in any way?

#15 bluefly

bluefly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:48 AM

b team, I like what you did with the lights - nice install. I'm also thinking to follow your lead- swap out the dual beam hella for the porch light and move the porch light under the awning.

I could really use some back-up lighting and figure the hella would work well for that as well as general camp/task lighting.

So I'm curious how you wired it- do you have both beams on a switch inside the camper, or did you wire them separately, or ...?

#16 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:59 AM

I bought 2 blue top dual purpose optima batteries so I could get by w/o a vent. I had a single regular deep cycle before that wasn't vented and never had any problems.

I haven't put in any switches for the backup/worklight. I might do as others have done and put a switch in the cab of the truck. Not sure yet but I will have a separate switch for each bulb. I do a lot of fishing and the bright rear light should be good for launching the boat at night or backing up at dead end trails.

The recessed hella worklight is adjustable for angle but can't get light right by the rear bumper. The light is more like 10 feet behind the truck. It has two bulbs, each 55W so it is a battery killer.

Right now I'm trying to work out the battery switches so I won't have dead batteries anymore.

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

I might add the porch light to the side. I have the stock floods in the rear already. At first I thought, nah, my lanterns are fine and I don't usually cook that close to the camper. But thinking about it some more, if it were very windy (not most of the time in the places I camp) that would be very handy. Having a nice high light would be nice for cooking.

The pic is my backup lighting. I already had run a heavy hot lead back to the 12v outlet just above the trailer plug. So I just added a relay back there, tapped into the existing backup lights to fire it. Does pretty good and I no longer have to get out and turn the camper floods on. Hmmm, guess I'll have to figure out how to adjust the date on my camera as I took that pic a few mintues ago :)

Attached Thumbnails

• bakuplight.jpg

#18 davinski

davinski

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:56 AM

B team:

Really like that Hella you mounted. I know it is flush, but a few questions....Exactly how is it held in place? Pretty secure? Can you run just one of the two bulbs?

Also, if flush mounted, is the beam low enough to light up the hitch area on the truck? I do like the porch light because it lights up just behind and near the truck.

I am lucky that I have two porch lights, one in back and one on the passenger side.....

dave

#19 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:06 AM

B team:

Really like that Hella you mounted. I know it is flush, but a few questions....Exactly how is it held in place? Pretty secure? Can you run just one of the two bulbs?

Also, if flush mounted, is the beam low enough to light up the hitch area on the truck? I do like the porch light because it lights up just behind and near the truck.

I am lucky that I have two porch lights, one in back and one on the passenger side.....

dave

The light came with two SS screws on the sides. I put a piece of aluminum behind the camper exterior siding to give them something to bite into. It is secure. The lights are each 55W and i have them wired independently. The pattern is about the same with only one light on. With two on it is just brighter.

Unlike the porch light or a worklamp that mounts with a bolt this flush mount light does not light right behind the camper. The light hits the ground about 10-30' behind the camper. If you need light at the bumper you wont like this setup. The light is adjustable for angle but even at it's max down it doesn't get very close to the bumper. I might make a wedge so the light is closer to the rear of the truck.

For launching a boat or backing up on a trail it works well.

#20 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:02 AM

Added thru-bolted D-rings to keep stuff from movin' around while offroading. added magazine holders too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users