• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Moose Dog

Moose Dog

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:35 PM

<p>Looking for recommendations for a multimeter ... a simple one that lasts!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>This is also a simple question but I've learned to know EXACTLY what I want before I go into a hardware or auto store - they'll foist off anything...</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks everyone</p>

(Edit) No idea how those magic symbols showed up in my post

Edited by Moose Dog, 19 August 2018 - 01:36 PM.

F350 xlt 4x4 w/8' CO Alaskan and dog 

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

Mornin’ Moose Dog

Magic symbols are because of a bug. I think it’s caused by hitting the back arrow in your browser, then posting. Editing is possibly part of the issue. Anyway, it’s not your fault.

Any inexpensive digital multimeter will do the job for you. Almost all will give you AC/DC voltage, amperage and resistance (ohms/continuity). Voltage and continuity are used most often. Get one that automatically senses scale so you don’t have to select voltage range. One with slip on alligator clips for the leads make things easier when probing in a tight area. A case helps for storage.

They are typically inexpensive, but real good/great models (like Fluke) can be pricy.

WS

I am haunted by waters

#3 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,105 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:44 PM

Looking for recommendations for a multimeter ... a simple one that lasts!

I have a four of them:

Three Harbour Freight 'free' multimeters.  These are used most often as they are laying around handy.

A Mastercraft clamp-on ammeter/multimeter, < $40 from Amazon.  This one goes with me on trips.

All four have been benchmarked against a Fluke.  The Mastercraft is good to two decimal places, good enough for what I do; the clamp on ammeter can be very useful.  The HF multimeters can drift a little but are good enough for most troubleshooting.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#4 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

My inexpensive HF units are still working fine. Interestingly enough, I’ve found that I use them more around the house so I keep one in the truck and one in my garage toolbox.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#5 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:03 PM

Pretty much any meter will let you measure ac and dc voltage, and check continuity.  The regular meters will usually limit you to no more than 10 amps of current, and you need to interrupt the circuit and put the meter in line to get even that.  The clamp on type will let you measure much higher current just by clamping around a wire, but, alas, the cheaper versions only seem to measure ac current.  If you want to measure dc current from your alternator or solar panels to your house batteries. you're going to have to spend some money for one of the more professional ones.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#6 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:15 PM

I just bought these recently.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have others that I keep in my shop but these go with me in my truck. On the rare occasion we camp with power I like to check the receptacle before we plug in.

Edited by smlobx, 19 August 2018 - 05:16 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#7 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

Get a free digital meter from Harbor Frt, just clip the free coupon. Out of my 2 analog and 1 other digital meters, it is the most accurate reading voltage when checked against my Fluke meter. I had an extra one and clipped the probes off, installed ring lungs and installed permanently to read the house battery.

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:26 PM

Saw a fluke pop up on ebay reasonably priced and I grabbed that. Had too many failures on the HF meters.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 11:53 PM

I have used nothing but Fluke meters professionally. A clamp meter that will read DC amperage save so much time, I doubt anyone who ever had one would use anything else. Pricey yes, but they last a lifetime. And as a side note, I found the less expensive clamp meters can be off a great deal when reading amperage, so much so that I felt they were not worth the money.

My two cents. :)

#10 Moose Dog

Moose Dog

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:57 PM

Thanks everyone!  Good info as usual here 

Definitely would like those alligator clips. 

F350 xlt 4x4 w/8' CO Alaskan and dog 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users