• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:42 PM

Just purchased my first multimeter.  I've been playing around with it, was able to get a voltage reading on the battery.  Can anyone direct me on how to measure power usage of specific devices (ie lights, fans)?  Is this possible? Tried searching around youtube and this forum with no luck.  I'm obviously a total newbie here.  

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 July 2019 - 04:15 AM

Does your MMeter have a DC current measurement option?  If so, put that in series with your battery to ground connection, and turn on/off the various bits and measure the draw.  With NOTHING on (or all the fuses pulled) you should have NO current draw.  Some campers have their CO/Propane detectors wired in direct, with no fuse or switch, and that can be a parasitic drain.  Your MMeter will show that.

#13 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:15 PM

You will likely need to move the leads to the current measuring sockets and measure only one item at a time so you don’t blow the meter fuse.

Cover the solar panels before disconnecting the battery as some charge controllers don’t do well with solar power and no battery.

Other than that, you will learn a lot about your equipment with the meter.
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#14 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 15 July 2019 - 03:40 PM

Yes, it does measure DC.  Awesome good to know.  I thought I had everything 'off' and detected some draw from the battery (did not have fuses pulled).  Will try with pulling fuses and check.  I wonder if it is the CO/propane detector.  

Does your MMeter have a DC current measurement option?  If so, put that in series with your battery to ground connection, and turn on/off the various bits and measure the draw.  With NOTHING on (or all the fuses pulled) you should have NO current draw.  Some campers have their CO/Propane detectors wired in direct, with no fuse or switch, and that can be a parasitic drain.  Your MMeter will show that.

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#15 karsonb

karsonb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:10 PM

When I started in Aircraft Maintenance my first meter was a RadioShack clamshell analog meter, worked well for a long time. I upgraded years ago to a fluke 77, which was a decent meter. After a hangar fire at work, where my almost new fluke got roasted, I went back to old school and bought a new Simpson 270-5 precision meter. They built to last forever, literally, and are extremely accurate. Nothing beats being able to watch a needle swing when you are looking for subtle faults in an electrical system. You can find many different models of the Simpson vanguard 260 series meter on flea bay for relatively cheap money. I don’t want a digital for anything. If space is a concern a cheap digital fits the bill. If you want an analog might still find a vintage radio shack (micronta) or a Sanwa(fine Japanese meters) with smaller form styles.

Edited by karsonb, 11 September 2019 - 09:56 AM.

#16 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:18 AM

When I started in Aircraft Maintenance my first meter was a RadioShack clamshell analog meter, worked well for a long time. I upgraded years ago to a fluke 77, which was a decent meter. After a hangar fire at work, where my almost new fluke got roasted, I went back to old school and bought a new Simpson 270-5 precision meter. Re built to last forever, literally, and are extremely accurate. Nothing beats being able to watch a needle swing when you are looking for subtle faults in an electrical system. You can find many different models of the Simpson vanguard 260 series meter on flea bay for relatively cheap money. I don’t want a digital for anything. If space is a concern a cheap digital fits the bill. If you want an analog might still find a vintage radio shack (micronta) or a Sanwa(fine Japanese meters) with smaller form styles.

Totally agree.  I have an ancient RS meter and a new fluke.  I tend to grab the old one when I need a meter.... 

#17 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:37 PM

I remember my uncle used a Simpson. I might get one just because they're inexpensive and look cool :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:36 AM

In the Marine Corps, the Simpsons were the only meters we used. I thought they were great, and wouldn’t mind having one for my shop. That said, I prefer a small digital for my travel tool box.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users