• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:53 PM

We took a trip to the mountains. Luckily were were there before the current fires (but we are now getting the smoke from them). Thanks to everyone here who gave us tips for places to see.

A trip report is posted to the blog. I hope you enjoy it.

http://travelswithro...l-park-and.html

IMG_5964.jpg

Edited by takesiteasy, 19 August 2018 - 04:56 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

Except for heat and bugs, that sounded like a great trip! Thanks for taking us along!

I am haunted by waters

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 19 August 2018 - 06:36 PM

Nice report. We went to Lake Louise & Canadian Rockies last year in July and experienced similar crowds. You are right about the second photo being more representative of the experience there. Some locals said to go mid week after school starts for smaller crowds.

Nice photos. Very much worth the visit even with the high fuel costs.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:03 PM

Thanks Al for the ride along.Crowds/heat not much fun to work around.

Looks like the trip turned out to be a good one.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:02 AM

Nice trip.  Beautiful photos.

I hear you about the crowds in Lake Louise, Banff and Jasper in the summer months.  Our summer months are short, so the crowds really come out.

To be honest summer is my least favourite time to visit the parks.  We usually visit Jasper monthly.  Prior to the May long weekend and after the Sept long weekend, we practically have the national park to ourselves.  If you can catch the fall colours at the right time, it's magnificent.  The water is also has less silt and the colour is amazing.

The Maligne Canyon in Jasper is a magical place in the winter time.  We have went back 2 weeks apart and it was an entirely different experience.  It is truly alive.  Frozen ice bubbles covering water falls.  Ice climbers.  Walking on the raging river you witnessed in the summer is a cool experience.

Anyhow, I'm glad you had a great trip Easy and I hope you come back in the off season.  Wapiti campground in Jasper is open year round.  It has a very clean shower, unlimited firewood for $8.80.  You can choose a plug in site or a non powered site.  There are typically less than 10 campers and usually about 2 or 3.  We've camped in temps as low as -31C / -23.8F with no issues at all.

I'm surprised you passed on the Snaring River overflow.  It's only $14.  It's so big, you can usually find a relatively private spot.  The view is pretty amazing in the morning, being surround by mountains on all four sides.  I hear you though, it's not "really" camping, especially given that you can't have a fire in this section.  There are a lot of people there too.  It feels more like a festival.

Thanks for posting the info and pics on the northern part of the US.  Very beautiful as well and an area I'd like to explore.  I'll be sure to re-read your blog when I do.

Edited by Bill D, 20 August 2018 - 02:25 AM.

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:45 PM

Except for heat and bugs, that sounded like a great trip! Thanks for taking us along!

Thanks for your suggestions about the Two Medicine area! We enjoyed that area quite a bit.

Nice report. We went to Lake Louise & Canadian Rockies last year in July and experienced similar crowds. You are right about the second photo being more representative of the experience there. Some locals said to go mid week after school starts for smaller crowds.

Nice photos. Very much worth the visit even with the high fuel costs.

Paul

Yes, we enjoyed the trip even with the downsides. Thanks for your comments!

Thanks Al for the ride along.Crowds/heat not much fun to work around.

Looks like the trip turned out to be a good one.

Frank

Frank, thanks for the tip about Kintla Lake- that was a highpoint.

... snip

Thanks for posting the info and pics on the northern part of the US.  Very beautiful as well and an area I'd like to explore.  I'll be sure to re-read your blog when I do.

Bill, thanks for your comments. We would love to return in the off-season. There is lots more to see. The Jasper overflow lot is a scene for sure. At another point we would have been fine staying there but we were ready to head home by then. I'm glad you enjoyed our write-up and might find it useful.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:59 PM

Really enjoyed that and seeing how I doubt I'll never make it there myself-thanks for taking me along. Families from Hell and campgrounds -why we have our pop-ups I guess-again thanks!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:36 PM

lovely looking shots of Kintla lake.  I have a trip laid out that goes there for next summer.  Did you check out Bowman Lake too?

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:45 PM

Wonderful trip. Great photos. This similar trip is in our plans in a couple of years. Thanks for sharing. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

Lovely photos! Thanks for the write-up! 

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users