Anyone had their Hallmark reroofed?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:06 PM

I called the Hallmark factory today to discuss having our 04 Ute reroofed as I am tired of chasing leaks. Am curious if anyone else has had it done at the factory and how the make-over turned out. :)

#2 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:06 PM

Is this a “rubber” roof? If so, I helped a buddy replace one on his 18’ trailer. He stripped it and then bought all needed supplies on Amazon. It was surprisingly easy without a lot of drama and he saved a bunch of $$$. YouTube was his friend. I know this doesn’t address your specific question but tossing out another option if applicable.

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 22 August 2018 - 03:08 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#3 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

No, I have the one piece fiberglass roof. 

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

No, I have the one piece fiberglass roof.

Are you sure? There is another post on here where the OP has an '07 Hallmark and he says his is a rubber roof...

One of the reasons I went with Hallmark is their roof construction and the remote possibility of developing leaks compared to other manufacturers.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#5 GT-Jim

GT-Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:15 PM

Hallmark switched to the 1 piece fiberglass roof in 2008.

2018 Silverado 2500HD diesel with 2015 Hallmark K2

#6 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:45 PM

Just the smoothest slickest tightest rubber roof I have ever seen. Looks like fiberglass for sure.

However, regardless of what I have or don't have, it leaks where the vinyl joins the edge of the roof at the trim bar and I have discussed with Hallmark having it reroofed and am curious if someone else has gone that route how it turned out. If I posted pictures you would say the roof looks perfect as does the caulking. Talk to my wife and she will tell you it gets fixed or it goes and I agree. Just hate to trade it because we have made so many changes that work well for us. 

Not trying to bad mouth Hallmark here. I think they do a very reasonable job. On the other hand, I would say the same thing about leaks my current dealer where I work as a tech says when folks ask him whether something leaks. "if it doesn't leak now it will sometime in the future". I have had my 04 apart well beyond what most folks might do and there are plenty of areas where it looks to me like leaks are sure to happen over time. Maybe Hallmark got better over the years. 

There is not a one of these manufacturers that makes a perfect camper and it's not that the roof is made out of, it is how it is made that makes the difference.  

#7 2trout

2trout

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationGlenwood Springs

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:52 AM

What have you tried in regards to fixing leaks?

We have recently purchased an 04 Milner from a friend, and he had not experienced any leaks that he was aware of, but the last two days of some rain in my part of Colorado has revealed....water coming in. It appears that that water is gaining access at the trim edge area of the roof, and runs along the pop up canvas untill it finds a seam or window, then it comes in.

Trout

#8 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:02 AM

I have worked in the RV industry for nearly three decades and until I owned this camper I did not think a roof existed I could not caulk or rid of leaks, but this one has exhausted my wife and I and it is either a new roof or dump the camper. We have sealed the stitching on the windows both inside and out numerous times with aqua seal as well as caulked the entire roof twice and the entire camper once. the most frustrating thing is the roof looks to be in absolutely great shape. Not a scrape or tear in it all way down to the trim bar. Ours leaks up or down.

Our worst leak is the same as you report and it is wearing caulking #3 all the way around the front. I am only willing to spend so much time trying to repair or maintain anything so if you find the answer, please post it up. 

Steve

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

I have worked in the RV industry for nearly three decades and until I owned this camper I did not think a roof existed I could not caulk or rid of leaks, but this one has exhausted my wife and I and it is either a new roof or dump the camper. We have sealed the stitching on the windows both inside and out numerous times with aqua seal as well as caulked the entire roof twice and the entire camper once. the most frustrating thing is the roof looks to be in absolutely great shape. Not a scrape or tear in it all way down to the trim bar. Ours leaks up or down.

Our worst leak is the same as you report and it is wearing caulking #3 all the way around the front. I am only willing to spend so much time trying to repair or maintain anything so if you find the answer, please post it up. 

Steve

Will Hallmark guarantee their work? That’s a big investment if it doesn’t work.

I am haunted by waters

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

Steve it's interesting that you said it leaks up or down.

That leaves me to believe that the leaking has nothing to do with the softwall as when it's closed the top overhangs the lower walls.
On my '16 Everest I don't believe there is ANY caulk on the roof other than a little around the vents but even there the roof structure is curbed and when the vent is closed, once again it overhangs the curb.

If you'd like, I can go over to my shop tomorrow and take some pictures of of various aspects of the roof if it would help you compare.

I do hope you get it figured out as these are great campers but as you said there is no perfect camper (or anything else).

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users