Photo

Help with two 12 volt batteries (parallel)?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 Bellbear

Bellbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:38 AM

When I pulled batteries out. Cells were nearly empty and after I filled them and put basic charger (8 amp ?) It charged to full charge in about 45 minutes

#12 Bellbear

Bellbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:42 AM

Can I text a picture to someone on my charger setup and battery. I have not be able to download pics from smart phone to WTW. Says pics to big...urg!!

#13 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 August 2018 - 04:43 AM

OK, well maybe a 12v (nominal output) charger will charge a 6v battery, IDK.

If you pulled the caps and there were only 3 cells on each battery then my money is on them being 6v batts and would use the 2nd diagram I posted.

#14 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:04 AM

Ordinary battery acid is actually 1/3 concentrated sulfuric acid diluted with 2/3 distilled water.  Only the water is lost through evaporation etc. which is why you only add distilled water to batteries.  If your cells were dry, that means the liquid in the bottom of the cells was CONCENTRATED sulfuric acid, which will eat away at the lead plates given time.  Best case scenario, you've drastically shortened the life of your batteries, worst case scenario you've destroyed them. 

Do NOT use a 12 volt charger on a 6 volt battery!

But if you have the two 6 volt batteries wired together in series (a wire between the positive of one and the negative of the other, per the SECOND diagram) You can treat the two of them as one 12 volt battery.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#15 Bellbear

Bellbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:18 PM

It's a 2amp charger

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:01 PM

As Optomistic Paranoid said, do not, repeat... do not use a 12 VDC charger on a 6 VDC battery. If you have the battery pair wired in series, you can safely use a 12 VDC charger on the pair if you connect it across the series wired pair. The diagram in an earlier post shows the connection points that OP mentioned.

I am haunted by waters

#17 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

Late to the discussion but you need to try and find some identifying info on the battery that indicates 6 or 12 volt. But considering your comments about the battery being larger in size (especially taller?), having only 3 caps, and being able to fill/refresh the cells...I’ll bet you have two 6-volt batteries wired in series to give you 12 volts total. That system, when operating normally, will provide you with a bunch of amp hours to use in your camper!
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#18 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:01 PM

Bellbear,

Re the charger:

by way of explanation, I only brought up the charging voltage because at that time the single battery voltage was in question yet the batteries seemed to be have been successfully re charged with a home charger. That brought to my mind the older, automotive chargers I am most familiar with that were either 6v or 12v nominal output. Or some units could do both, but one voltage needed to be selected to use. Sorry if this muddied the waters.

Your charger should be marked with it's output voltage (label?)

And I should have specifically asked or followed up on how exactly you had charged the batts  - singly or connected together (if connected, how).

Re the battery voltage.

I should have mentioned that, from what I have gathered, in a camper with 2 batteries, using a 2 x 6v format is commonplace, even to be expected and, some have said, generally better than a 2 x 12v format.

Although you may not remember the exact wiring, you may remember if each battery post had only 1 wire connected to it ?

Everything but the thread title (which prompted me to chime in) suggests the batteries are 6v. Which would mean they should be wired in series as show in my 2nd post. The previous owner may have meant the camper system is 12v, incl the "battery bank" as opposed to the individual batteries.

If in doubt about the battery condition/usable service life, an auto service or battery shop should be able to test them.

Edited by klahanie, 30 August 2018 - 03:08 PM.

#19 Bellbear

Bellbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:43 PM

So batteries back in camper
Reading 11.5 vintage
2.8 current

#20 Bellbear

Bellbear