18 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

Headed out after work, made it to the free camp site near the Snow park on 88. Packed, had a hard time finding a place to camp. Cold, dog water froze and so did I. Furnace wouldn't light so went with the Wave 3 backup. I've thought off and on about removing it but I'm glad I didn't.  Have to run it on low to avoid roasting the dog. Hit the road before it was light in the morning. Stopped in Bridgeport for breakfast. Lady at the auto parts store said it 30 at her place last night. Fortunately it got warmer as the weekend went on. Went on up to my spot along the Dunderberg road. 

KIMG0029-L.jpg

After setting up camp it was time to take the Jeep up the Kavanagh Ridge road. While I could have gotten the truck up there I'm glad I did it in the Jeep. A couple of UTV's went in ahead of me.

DSC_1375-L.jpg

Walked around looking at the lakes and trying to figure out you'd get down there. 

DSC_1381-L.jpg

DSC_1383-L.jpg

DSC_1392-L.jpg

Everything looked way too steep for this kid.

DSC_1394-L.jpg

DSC_1376-L.jpg

Riley has his nose to the ground when I decide its time to head back to the Jeep. No premonition or anything but when I looked up the hill I was being watched.

DSC_1400-L.jpg

First couple of photos were blurry since I just fired them off in a hurry but to my surprise he stood there long enough to get a good shot. 

DSC_1398-L.jpg

He kept a respectable distance as I headed back to the Jeep. On level ground Riley finally spotted it and made a move towards it. Fortunately voice commands worked as his leash was way back in the Jeep. Something told me letting them sniff butts might not be a good idea.

DSC_1402-L.jpg

DSC_1403-L.jpg

Never saw him again after we headed back in the Jeep. Much larger than the ones I see locally around here.

A subaru had been near my camp and when I reached the little pond down the hill a guy was taking a break there after hiked up with his skis and skied a tiny little patch of snow. I don't know my skis but they looked long. Skiers, must be something in the blood :)

DSC_1413-L.jpg

Down the hill I stopped and took of photo of this.

DSC_1416-L.jpg

Quite obviously of alien architecture but its on private land so I couldn't explore further.

Later, as I'm cooking my steak a guy in a pickup comes by and asks if I'd been up the road and seen if that structure is still there. Informs me its a Yurt and the guy that put it up was supposed to have removed it by now. Turns out he's the landowner but I didn't get his name. I'm still not sure I buy the Yurt story.

Go on into Virginia Lakes resort for breakfast. Breakfast was so so but I can see why it a popular place to fish.Lots big fish coming out of those lakes. Four pounders are common.

Headed over to Bald Mountain. Made the mistake of looking over Big Springs campground. What a zoo. Took a wrong turn but the Atlas paid off and I finally found a spot to camp near Bald Mountain spring. Should be called no spring as its completely dried up. Little grove of aspens are dead so its been dry a while. Took the Jeep up to the lookout. Unfortunately this is where my camera decided to malfunction and I didn't realize it until later. Not sure why I took one pic with the cell phone.

DSC_1431-L.jpg

The lookout is open, fire finder and radio installed so they must be manning it during lightning storms and such. Lots of visitors in UTV's up at the lookout. 

I was up fairly early the next morning and after coffee and a biscuit headed on out. Didn't see a soul until I hit 120. I did make the mistake of taking 1S42A on the way out. At times I wasn't sure if I was still on the road or truly off road. Never would have found the traces at night. Glad I had 4wd as the sand got pretty deep in a few spots.

Headed on over to Silver Lake to visit and old friend. They had rigs crammed into every nook and cranny. Seems I got there just in time for a potluck dinner though!

Thats Steve with the batman shirt.

KIMG0033-M.jpg

A few other observations.

Only saw two FWC on this trip.

Trail heads were empty on the way up, packed on the way home.

Heenan Lake had so many rigs they overflowed onto the main road. Not as bad on the way back but still busy.

I took the June Lake Loop for the first and last time on the way to Bald Mountain. Beautiful country but insanely overcrowded. I'm sure there must be times of the year when its only slightly overcrowded.

The furnace I did get to fire up the heat of the day with 14.5 volts showing. I tried but failed to get the water heater lit. Pilot light has a very weak flame. I'm hoping maybe I have some bad/marginal propane. I'll go out and test it in bit now that I'm back at nearly sea level. Camera says my battery is not compatible with my camera. Its a nikon genuine battery and has worked for years. I've run it dead before and not received that message. See what it does once I locate my charger.

I also took a trip down Green Creek to see if I could figure out which cabin the guy at the dog park has and I maybe figured it out. The trail head was packed but not quite as much as the one at Virginia Lakes. Backcountry must have been zoo also.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:10 PM

Hello Craig triple three
Nice thanks for posting your holiday.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:46 PM

Nice TR. no surprise everything was crowded this weekend. Next weekend will probably be vacant!

How do you like towing your jeep? I'be been toying with the idea of bringing something more off-road capable that is still street legal. Did you install some braking device for the Jeep?

Thanks.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:18 AM

Craig thanks for the TR.

Looks like you had a great time.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:02 AM

No braking device on the Jeep. Truck tows it like its not even there. Only issue is in a tight turn or deep sand sometimes the tires don't follow and I have to get out and straighten them out. Its nice being street legal. I should have brought the high altitude jet kit but it stayed home. Over 7k she loses some power without it. 

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:30 AM

Craig on your propane do you have a strong flame on your stove? If not might be time for a new regulator that is what I found on mine.

Edited by billharr, 04 September 2018 - 08:31 AM.

#7 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:11 PM

Looks like you had a great trip. Love the jeep! Riley too! What's the orange thing on the roof??

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:28 PM

The flame did seem a little weak. Its the original regulator so it might be time.

Orange things are Maxtrax. https://us.maxtrax.c...tegory/maxtrax/

They've come in handy more than once.

I forgot to mention I also had a nice chat on the ham radio with the Bishop Amateur Radio Club guys. Very friendly bunch and with repeaters in the Sierra's and the Whites's pretty much you can almost anywhere in the Valley. Even had a guy on the PCT chime in needing a bit of help working on his SOTA. https://www.sota.org.uk/

#9 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:57 AM

Craig, I enjoyed your report. Cool shots of Riley and the coyote. Looks like a good weekend.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:08 PM

I had him rattlesnake trained, never thought about coyote training :)

Seen a few versions of this. Not sure I was properly prepared to meet a coyote.

coyote-L.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users