Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:26 AM

LOL

#12 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:30 PM

The flame did seem a little weak. Its the original regulator so it might be time.

Orange things are Maxtrax. https://us.maxtrax.c...tegory/maxtrax/

They've come in handy more than once.

I forgot to mention I also had a nice chat on the ham radio with the Bishop Amateur Radio Club guys. Very friendly bunch and with repeaters in the Sierra's and the Whites's pretty much you can almost anywhere in the Valley. Even had a guy on the PCT chime in needing a bit of help working on his SOTA. https://www.sota.org.uk/

Those Maxtrax look like a good thing to have just in case. More gear I didn't know I needed to add to the wish list!! 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#13 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for sharing you TR.  I've gone to the Alabama Hills over Labor Day weekend and although it's busy, the place is so spread out that it doesn't feel cramped.  It's kind of been my "go to" place for Labor Day, plus, there are so many nice trails and places to see along 395 that it makes for a nice weekend.

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#14 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:19 PM

Craig, thanks for sharing. Looks like a fun weekend, even with crowds. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#15 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 09 September 2018 - 11:10 PM

Interesting trip-despite the people Craig!  You are probably lucky Rielly didn't try to head up and investigate that coyote, those critters like to set up ambushes for nice fat civilized doggies. Years ago  I was working in a canyon north of Susanville with my dog Wolfer (a former stray and one of those big  black nosed white German Shepard mixes) , when I noticed he wasn't with me;  and while he was big and smart enough to usually take care of himself, I wasn't worried so I figured to was off chasing a rabbit or something and would be back soon. 

Then I just happened to glance up to top of one of the canyon rims and there she was, a nice coyote-just like your picture standing on the rim, and there was my big old dog, running like mad up this  old deer trail right to her (figured it were a her 'cause she was not running away-just sort of standing there looking and  acting nice and friendly-probably in heat). The first thing I thought was " I bet there are a couple of male coyotes just over the rim planning to make my dog their dinner"  Anyway, I started yelling and luck was on our side because he actually stopped (he was not fixed) and turned around and came back down the trail. The coyote followed us down the canyon rim for  while then left, but me thinks "Wolfer" was a very lucky dog.  Over the years, "Wolfer" had several more run-ins and fights with coyotes, but that one could have ended badly for my pup!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#16 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:08 AM

I've heard they can lure dogs in like that. He or she was definitely more interested in Riley than in me.

Wait a minute! Did you just call my dog fat? Well my vet did say he's about three pounds overweight :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#17 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:01 PM

Great that you got out. Too bad about the crowds. Sucks to have too, but makes me feel better about all the driving we do to try avoiding them...

Furnace wouldn't light so went with the Wave 3 backup.

<snip>

The furnace I did get to fire up the heat of the day with 14.5 volts showing. 

Also had  trouble with this ours first night of the long. Figured the old "sail switch stuck" deal because the blower was spinning but igniter not firing. Had voltage but thought to try with the truck running and alternator combined with the the house batts. Sure enough, blower spun faster and furnace lit. Guess the house batts had voltage but were failing and didn't have enough jam to satisfy the furnace. Fortunately, found a auto parts sore open on the holiday Monday - and plastic to the rescue. :D 

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:30 PM

I'll install the new regulator tomorrow (have the day off) and see what happens. Dusty as it was a hot shower would have been nice.

#19 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:21 PM

Installed the new regulator today. Heater fired right up with 13.1 (it'd be 13.6 if the fridge wasn't running) volts. 

Still had an issue with the water heater. Disconnected the pilot line and could hear and feel gas coming out. Blew into the housing and I think I dislodged a piece of crud. Reconnected and I was able to light the pilot light. 

Did I need a new regulator? Hard to say. I do think the flame on the stove looks better but that could be altitude related also. 

I guess I need to go camping and run a real world test. Unfortunately we're still working six days a week so I'll probably really need the heater by the time I get to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users