61 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 04 September 2018 - 02:23 AM

Yes, [meteorological] fall/autumn began on September 1.

Here in central Oregon we have 80s forecast this week, so it's not like winter is in the air...yet.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:11 AM

Yes, [meteorological] fall/autumn began on September 1.

Here in central Oregon we have 80s forecast this week, so it's not like winter is in the air...yet.

50° here this morning. It felt nice!

Time for a new thread Mark!

I am haunted by waters

#3 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 04 September 2018 - 03:50 PM

50° here this morning. It felt nice!

Time for a new thread Mark!

I'm making my first trip to the Steens on 9/16-21 and will drive the Loop Road starting at Frenchglenn. The only plans I have will be hiking the Little Blitzen and Big indian Gorge and possibly down to Wildhorse Lake. I know you've spent time there and I'm open to any suggestions you have ( won't be fishing) on any don't miss spots to hit. I'm hoping for 60s-70s day and hopefully high 30s-low 40s at night but will be prepared for 20s just in case. Thanks!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 September 2018 - 04:05 PM

Big Indian gorge is accessed from the back of the South CG. A mile or so back to the creek, then you go into the gorge. Tevas for stream crossings. Back in about 5-6 miles is a crack in the basalt where the creek pours through from above.

Little Blitzen ban be accessed from above, exited from below if you have a shuttle arranged. The trail in from above starts at Nye Cabin. The 3Pins and I were in there (Nye) last year. It is a tight road, with low hanging Aspens, a few downed limbs and rocky. The cabin itself is now in the wilderness area. The trail is steep, with lots of switch backs, and HOT in the afternoon sun. The road into Nye is above Jackman Park. Talk to BLM Burns if you don’t have a map. Not sure when deer season is, but caution if it is open.

You can also access from near the South CG.

Wildhorse is great, but don’t be there if there’s a chance of lightning. Bighorn sheep are often in the area under the summit of the mt.

http://ski3pin.blogs...ain-oregon.html

I am haunted by waters

#5 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:33 PM

Big Indian gorge is accessed from the back of the South CG. A mile or so back to the creek, then you go into the gorge. Tevas for stream crossings. Back in about 5-6 miles is a crack in the basalt where the creek pours through from above.

Little Blitzen ban be accessed from above, exited from below if you have a shuttle arranged. The trail in from above starts at Nye Cabin. The 3Pins and I were in there (Nye) last year. It is a tight road, with low hanging Aspens, a few downed limbs and rocky. The cabin itself is now in the wilderness area. The trail is steep, with lots of switch backs, and HOT in the afternoon sun. The road into Nye is above Jackman Park. Talk to BLM Burns if you don’t have a map. Not sure when deer season is, but caution if it is open.

You can also access from near the South CG.

Wildhorse is great, but don’t be there if there’s a chance of lightning. Bighorn sheep are often in the area under the summit of the mt.

http://ski3pin.blogs...ain-oregon.html

Thanks for the info and the link to Ski's TR!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:12 PM

More big swirlies rolling west across the tropical Pacific this week -- look out, Hawaii!  :unsure:

Satellite_VCG15-21452018247.jpg

(GOES West)

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:55 PM

Yikes!

Hawaii!

I was there exactly 3 years ago, and a string of hurricanes (or strong tropical storms) was passing by then, too.  But that year they were far enough to the north that the only effect was pulling up a lot of hot humid air from the south.

GOES22302018248IGk0o5.jpg

(GOES West)

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:27 AM

Definitely fall in Calgary.  Frost this morning!

#9 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

SOP for September 6 in North Carolina:  Highs in the low 90s with humidity about the same.  Just a bit sticky.

Also SOP is Hurricane Florence way out in the east-central Atlantic, but for now looking as though she's drawing a bead on the NC/SC coast.  It was 22 years ago today that Hurricane Fran came ashore near Wilmington, NC at about dark on the 5th and moved right up I-40 to........my yard in Raleigh...at about 0300 on the 6th.  We had a couple of hours of sustained 80 mph winds and +10" of rain over the 12-15 hours preceding the arrival of hurricane force winds. No structural damage to the house, had moved vehicles and boats to a large open parking lot nearby, but lost 18 medium to large oaks and hickories and a couple of huge poplars. No electricity for 11 days.

Last night, as soon as our TV local weather guy said "never in recorded history has a hurricane which formed so far out in the Atlantic affected the East Coast", we knew we were in for it.  Thanks, Greg Fishel of WRAL--you jinxed it for sure!

Early autumn is when we keep our schedules flexible!

Foy

#10 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:03 PM

SOP for September 6 in North Carolina:  Highs in the low 90s with humidity about the same.  Just a bit sticky.

Also SOP is Hurricane Florence way out in the east-central Atlantic, but for now looking as though she's drawing a bead on the NC/SC coast.  It was 22 years ago today that Hurricane Fran came ashore near Wilmington, NC at about dark on the 5th and moved right up I-40 to........my yard in Raleigh...at about 0300 on the 6th.  We had a couple of hours of sustained 80 mph winds and +10" of rain over the 12-15 hours preceding the arrival of hurricane force winds. No structural damage to the house, had moved vehicles and boats to a large open parking lot nearby, but lost 18 medium to large oaks and hickories and a couple of huge poplars. No electricity for 11 days.

Last night, as soon as our TV local weather guy said "never in recorded history has a hurricane which formed so far out in the Atlantic affected the East Coast", we knew we were in for it.  Thanks, Greg Fishel of WRAL--you jinxed it for sure!

Early autumn is when we keep our schedules flexible!

Foy

LOL... Thanks for that, Greg Fishel of WRAL.  We leave tomorrow morning for a week-long family reunion in the Outer Banks.  As I started this reply I received a note from a relative to tell us there's travel insurance on the rental property if it comes to that and please bring a waterproof windbreaker along to the reunion (!).

Also- My brother and I tried to escape the Mid-Atlantic heat/humidity with a trip to Ontario and Quebec last month and that didn't work out as expected.  Temps were mid-80s and humid and many locals told us they've never had such a hot summer.  Fire bans had just been lifted in Algonquin but were still active in much of Ontario.  Kinda seemed like we took a wrong turn on the way to Canada.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users