• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:07 PM

Should I do it, which makes no financial sense but is exciting, or invest the money and keep driving the 2012 Subaru Outback, which is much more sensible but incredibly boring? Or some other option I am not thinking about?

I think you already answered your own question.

Fleeting and Exciting is just that, the high of the purchase will end and might turn into buyers remorse or worse. 

I can only say a well laid out plan is usually much better than jumping in blind. I don't know your situation but I can only comment on my own which has been a 10 year plan to obtain the setup that I desire to enjoy eventually on a low fixed income in the future. Rash decisions in the past led me to living in a car for 6 months, I know from my experience I'd never want to be there again. The RV lifestyle is my end goal. This time I plan on doing it right. My vote is the boring way isn't always so boring. As the plan comes together it is actually quite exciting year after year...and when the final goal is in sight, now that's really exciting... 

Good Luck with your decisions. 

Edited by knoxswift, 05 September 2018 - 04:08 PM.

#12 Dgw2

Dgw2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, Wa.

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:12 PM

My friend, being financially sound in all aspects of your life is true freedom. You would be surprised how much money you have, if when that check comes it's yours. No matter how large or small the check is, if it's yours, not to pay a mortgage, or car payment, or camper payment, or credit card payment, ITS YOURS to do with & enjoy as you wish. We all struggle when we're young, but as time goes by it should get easier. True freedom with your time & money is when it's yours, not owed to anyone. In my opinion start simpler & work your way up. When you own it, it's yours & no one can come get it if you can't make the payments. Just my opinion. Good luck my friend.

#13 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:25 PM

But the OP says he can buy it outright.

#14 todgru

todgru

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMaupin, OR

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:56 PM

Hi Foeger,

Like others have said, you probably don't need to spend that amount of money on a rig.

My recommendation: get a rig to travel with, something reliable. With the medical training, go volunteer with some organization like https://www.ramusa.org/ (this is just the first thing that came up on google).

You'll travel north America, meet a lot of new people, and really make a difference. Plus, I'm sure the locals would show you the best camping spots!

I hope this helps. You have a great opportunity here! With the right planning and asking a lot of questions, you will really be satisfied and happy with what you end up doing.

Remember, the rig is meaningless - it's the adventure itself that holds the meaning.

Todgru.

#15 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:11 PM

Too much money. 

The changes you want to make seem good but not wiping out finances.

Get out of anything bad in your life; (relationships, mortgages that make no sense, etc).

You can get out of the bad stuff and be in a better place without the 135k expense.

My brand new truck and brand new Grandby ran me $66,000 and all of it came with great warranties.

NOT TO HI-JACK YOUR THREAD BUT...

I owned a good business in Miami for 17 years. I had 2 condos and a house and worked my ass off 7 days a week for the last 10 years of that chapter to get all that crap.

I was running full speed every day all day making good money and watching life and the world go by.

I then watched my parents die at a good old age (89 & 92) and said; wait a minute, relationship sucks, I'm working all the time, the hell with it. 

I sold everything I owned and bought a small house at 10,000 feet in The Rockies, a truck & FWC and life is now so good it's like a dream. 

Point is...you only get one life, one shot. The quality of that life is up to you and your decisions and it is NOW. 

Edited by patrkbukly, 05 September 2018 - 06:13 PM.

#16 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:57 PM

Some famous photographer once said "Anyone who spends more money on camera gear than film, is no photographer."  It's not the gear (camper) that will fulfill you, it's the adventure/journey along the way that will.  

Get the nice flatbed if you want--you've earned it, just don't expect it to be anything more than it is, which is just STUFF.

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#17 kluber

kluber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:21 PM

Wow, heavy thread : )

Agree with so much said above...

There are so many opportunities as a doc.  Get out and connect and share your gift.  You'll get back 10 fold what you give.

A camper is just a thing.  What you do with it is what counts to your soul.  FWCs are bomb, but they're just a means to an end.

Bad stuff doesn't just go away.  Like patrkbukly said, you have to make the decision and you have to act (rationally) on it.

Sorry things in your marriage fell apart, but life is short and you only get one spin.  Listen to your heart.  I'm 10 years out of a bad marriage and at 58, my life is the best it's ever been.  

So smile, be glad you have some capacity to support yourself, and give serious thought to what will make you truly happy.  Then go there (maybe in in a FWC ; )

Best wishes,

K

It's just better out there :D 
2015 Fleet Rollover Couch
2017 Taco TRD Off Road

#18 spudder

spudder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:02 PM

I think you need to take step back and just chill for a bit. Congrats on your med school endeavor. Sorry for your personal strife. As far as your camper thoughts, I'd advise to lower your sights. You'll do better with a used unit and have money in your pocket for other fun things. You are already in line to take a big hit on your home. Don't do the same thing with a high dollar camper......put some of the cash in a small apartment and a used rig. Just my take.....I blown a fortune in my life...not sorry but would be wiser if I could do  over.

#19 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:20 PM

My opinion is this will not fill the hole in you heart for long.
Sock some money away, plenty of real nice pop ups to get you away for the weekend. Newer used trucks are everywhere and you can get a good deal. I’m assuming you’re still working so how often are you gunna get out and enjoy the camper, if you were retired and hitting the road full time maybe but financial freedom like posted before is awesome. Amazing how much the money multiples when you are not paying it to everyone else.

Russ

Congrats on the med school, sorry to hear of the divorce.
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#20 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:30 PM

I think too many people think work is adverse to pleasure.  I think you should enjoy your work.  Work complements the man.  Then, on your day off, go hang out in your $100k FWC set up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Four Wheel, F-350, freedom, consumer, flat bed, hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users