• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:29 AM

Next weekend I'm leaving for a three week trip to Montana.  My general plan is to stay south of I-90 and go as far east as the Pryor Mountains.  I've read all the post regarding Montana and I think I've identified enought to keep me busy for 2 months.   :)  But if anyone has a special camping spot, special thing to do, or memorable place to eat, feel free to share.  

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#2 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:08 AM

I will be in Flathead Lake around the 19. Good area for branching out for other sightseeing.

#3 JeffB

JeffB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMarin County, Ca

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:35 AM

Dont miss Virginia City over near Dillon and Bannock....its a cant miss from the gold rush era.

#4 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:34 PM

I like Bannack as a well-restored frontier era territorial capital.  Lemhi Pass is reasonably close by and it's striking to approach it from the MT side as Lewis & Clark did--and to see what they saw when they first peered over into Idaho in September 1805. Twin Lakes CG over on the western margin of the Big Hole is as nice of a spot as you'll find anywhere.  Elevation about 7,500 means cool weather even in July/August.  I like anywhere in the Big Hole and the adjacent Pioneer Mountains--lower and forested on the west side, higher and glaciated with tons of alpine features on the east side. I'd rate a cruise through along the Big Sheep Creek Backcountry Byway as top notch and next time I'm out there with camping gear I'm going to Morrison Lake down that way. The Centennial Valley between Monida and Henry's Lake, ID is practically deserted and has the true "Big Sky Country" look.  We're actually headed out there soon and will be making our first traverse of the Gravelly Range, where 30 or so miles of graded gravel road holds elevations of 9,000' or more.  Really looking forward to that.

We always partake of the baked goods at the bakery/cafe/coffee shop at the junction of I-90 and US 287 known regionally as "Wheat, Montana".  Down in Dillon is a fine Mexican place known as the Dillon Taco Bus due to the kitchen and primary serving area being within a large flatnose bus.  In Missoula, a late night breakfast at The Oxford is always a people-watching extravaganza with good vittles as a bonus. 

Have a good trip!

Foy

#5 JeffB

JeffB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMarin County, Ca

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:12 AM

There is some great camping around Ruby Reservoir near Bannack and Virginia City

#6 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:32 AM

Lots of great areas down around Yellowstone. I live between Bozeman and West Yellowstone, let me know if you come by my neck of the woods. First beverage is on me. Well, maybe two.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#7 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:24 AM

Thanks everyone.  I wish I had months to explore.  Bannock and Virginia City are on my list.  The Gravelly Range had been on my todo list but with the recent forest fires I took it off to save for another day.  Foy:  Please report in and tell me if I'm wrong. You may beat me to that area.   Centennial Valley is on the list - I have a friend that has been there twice she likes it so much. Thanks for the recommendation on the Big Sheep Creek Byway.  I had read about it and thought it sounded uneventful.  Now I know better.  Wango:  Thanks for offering to share a beverage.  I make take you up on the offer.  My only plan is to get the Beartooth pass and the Pryors first and then work west.  But that plan may change.  I may get side tracked.  

I have three weeks to wander.  :-)

#8 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:18 AM

The southern half of the Gravellies was not affected by the Monument or Wigwam fires. I believe all principal road access has now been restored importantly including Road 290 north of Black Butte. I'll be phoning the Madison Ranger District office on Monday of next week to make sure I understand the full lifting of travel restrictions but I think they're all rescinded. Will report outcome here. Big Sheep Creek is a hidden gem, particularly around Island Butte and Morrison Lake. I'd have a look at getting up to the CDT trailhead near the Price-Peet Divide from the west-central part of the Centennial Valley as it looks like there should be some great views from parts of the CDT near there.

#9 wcj

wcj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSW Montana

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:35 AM

Spent a week in the Pryors on the wild horse range the end of August with a college class, nice trip. We take a class up every year. If the weather cooperates worth the trouble. Need good high clearance 4x4 I'f weather gets bad, you are camped at 8500 feet. If you get serious let me know and I'll add more.
2004 chevy duramax 73 cabover (sold to a friend) 70 NCO rebuilt 2004 cabover

#10 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for offering info about the Pryors.  I'll make a decision on the road if I will make it there on this trip.  Due to "life happens" stuff I now can't leave until next Tuesday or Wednesday but have to be back the same time.  The Pryors may be saved for  another trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users