26 replies to this topic

#11 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:46 AM

TR congrats on the camper !

I can see the ~5" smaller width and height of the Fleet being a big advantage. Where we travel off highway, tree branches crowding the road are not uncommon. Guess it depends on where one travels. There would be less storage - perhaps the narrower under bed storage would matter to some. I've never seen a FB model inside but from the pics I'm not seeing much total storage available, esp with the shorter units.

Prob more important with the smaller camper is the stature of the users. For short folks like me and the missus the lower inside height and bed length (width?) wouldn't be an issue. As always, YMMV.

As for, "I know some of you folks think it’s a f350 or go home", as a F350 owner I don't share that conviction. Rather, I subscribe to the maxim, "at the end of the day you're on your tod (your own)". Taking others advice can be tricky if later something goes wrong or you become unsatisfied. Do what you want and you'll always have the man in the mirror nearby. ;) 

Would be interested in how the offset side storage works out for you. Keep us posted.

And good luck truck shopping !

#12 No longer here

No longer here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:08 AM

Hey Klahanie,

With the 1st gen tundra I have essentially a v8 Tacoma. Same weight/footprint but more power. I have a smaller flatbed too, but after sitting in the one at Mainline I found the room to be HUGE as opposed to the Hawk slidein with was cavelike to me. The big thing with storage is if you have it you use it and it adds weight. We have more storage now that when we did in the Landcruiser. I really don't want a ton of room because if I was too comfortable inside I would never go outside :) 

For 3 years I lived out of a dufflebag so the underbed storage is 200% more room!!

Though I agree, in the end it's my decision. WTW is just that the west with 80mph speedlimits, long fast roads, very high passes that all require power to stay with the traffic. I tend to ignore that stuff. I'll do 60-65 in an 80 if I even get on a highway. I'm happy to make a pass over 45, i don't mind sitting behind a truck with 4ways :) 

In any case I REALLY wanted a Woolwich edition, but the $ premium price for better cushions and weaker fiberglass siding was not worth the money. Instead I'm making my own special northern edition called the Hudson Bay edition. Stay tuned!!

#13 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:28 PM

I’ve been following with some interest as I have a FB Hawk. Just a few comments and clarifications to add.

The FB models have a lot of storage inside and if you have outside under storage lockers it’s even more.

The Woolrich siding is flat aluminum, not the heavier fiberglass that has been used on some campers.

I wonder about the offset idea. If your camper will have a furnace option or water heater then storage on that side probably won’t be possible.

The only difference between Fleet and Hawk is 5” of width. Giving you a wider or longer bed, depending on which direction you sleep. A little larger table. More floor space and interior volume which gives a more open feeling. We looked at and sat in every floor plan, repeatedly over months prior to deciding. What finally sold us on a FB was counter height, the slide in models were just way to high for my wife.

Dean

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#14 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:47 AM

veryactivelife, I understood the Fleet FB to be shorter than the Hawk FB simply from the mfrs website (last slide pic, each model). Truth is, I can't vouch for the accuracy, current or otherwise. Should have qualified that.

Please understand my comment, "from the pics I'm not seeing much total storage available, esp with the shorter units" is coming from the perspective of me comparing what I see of them online to our existing, older Granby. I am not trying to denigrate the layout or build.

We have quite a bit of storage with our truck and camper setup and carry a lot of stuff. I like the layout (esp the dinette) and look of the FWC FBs but, as with any potential future camper for us, I have to consider just how we might carry the stuff we currently do - or most of it !

As I wrote, I've never seen inside of one. It would be great to know the storage would work for us. From what I see they have storage in the following areas: under bench seating, front curbside cabinet; galley and under berth.

We have a '97 Granby in the side bench style as was offered then. It's nothing special in the camper storage world. Certainly it's has less than some large hardsides.

I've just measured the inside storage area. Here's what I came up with, in cubic feet:

Under bench: 13.36 cf

Closet : 5.59

Galley: 4.42

total stock= 23.37

also have a cutlery drawer: 10.5x14.5x2.5"

I don't know how that compares to anyone's FWC FB ... I have only the pics online for guidance.

Our mods resulted in lost space for a large inverter and a gain by removing the water tank and also a gain with a new, front streetside "cupboard".

net gain: 6.08

Our camper is mounted on a flatdeck with folding sides. The space outside the lower camper body but inside the flatdeck sides (the elusive "lost space" with a PU bed) adds another 24.42 cf, less the space needed for batteries - they were outside the camper in that era - and turnbuckles. Naturally with a FB camper design this substantial amount of additional storage would be lost.

Of course the larger FB footprint allows for more aisle/floorspace and room for a nice dinette. That's great for people but I'm not seeing a lot of storage gained (LPG in there, rear wall slope). Again esp on the Hawk FB which is closest to our Granby in terms of length. And the FB has that under berth storage. I've read some say they use it for pillows, others find it less then ideal for access. Nonetheless it is storage. I guess we'd have to see that in person.

And agreed, outside under deck storage does adds more  We also have that and we'd keep it anyway.

Anyhoo, that's how I see it. Others will see it differently.

Edited by klahanie, 10 October 2018 - 03:56 AM.

#15 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:59 PM

Having a Fleet flatbed and having used a slide in fleet, I can assure you that there is dramatically more storage in flatbed.   There is ~10 cu feet of storage under EACH of the dinette seats (~2x2.5x2'), and another 12 (5'x6'x5") under the queen size bed so right there we are looking at around 32 cubic feet without looking into the other cabinets or considering under bed boxes and drawers.

Having borrowed a slide in Fleet for a shakedown, we were concerned about storage space and bought a double cab Tacoma primarily to use the cab for more storage.   Now having used it for two years, we have never come close to maxing out the stroage room (even on trips with bikes and inflatable kayaks) and if I were to do it over I would get the access cab to shorten the wheel base by 11".

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#16 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:04 AM

^ Thank you for your comments. And for giving dimensions - most helpful.

I do believe I've been under-appreciating the overcab storage space.

Also, in fairness to the FB models, I forgot to include that there appears to be storage under the dinette floor, if not used for shower items.

This is all good. Maybe we'll head down and check one out someday.

#17 No longer here

No longer here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:43 PM

So I finally found my truck, an 05 Tundra with no rust and 33k miles in phantom grey. It will look great with the silver spur camper. My goodness is it BIG though. I could not imagine going any bigger lol Very comfortable truck though.

Now if FWC will STOP pushing my order back and I can get a delivery date I will be happy. It's gone from mid November to now late January.....

#18 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:59 PM

Having a Fleet flatbed and having used a slide in fleet, I can assure you that there is dramatically more storage in flatbed.   There is ~10 cu feet of storage under EACH of the dinette seats (~2x2.5x2'), and another 12 (5'x6'x5") under the queen size bed so right there we are looking at around 32 cubic feet without looking into the other cabinets or considering under bed boxes and drawers.

Having borrowed a slide in Fleet for a shakedown, we were concerned about storage space and bought a double cab Tacoma primarily to use the cab for more storage.   Now having used it for two years, we have never come close to maxing out the stroage room (even on trips with bikes and inflatable kayaks) and if I were to do it over I would get the access cab to shorten the wheel base by 11".

Fleet flatbed on a Tacoma.  So the original bed of that Tacoma was under 6'?  If so, that would be similar to putting a Grandby flatbed on a full sized pickup with a 6.5' bed, no?  I like the idea of keeping the wheelbase shorter, and also like the idea of more interior room in the camper!

#19 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:38 PM

Fleet flatbed on a Tacoma.  So the original bed of that Tacoma was under 6'?  If so, that would be similar to putting a Grandby flatbed on a full sized pickup with a 6.5' bed, no?  I like the idea of keeping the wheelbase shorter, and also like the idea of more interior room in the camper!

The original Tacoma bed was 6' as well. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#20 No longer here

No longer here

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:33 PM

Hey Folks,

I don't really like leaving a thread unfinished so thought I would stop by and let you know that I finally got my flatbed. Wonderful combination. While probably over GVWR the acceleration, braking and handling is FAR better than my Landcruiser so I cannot complain. Even the MPG is better. Very happy with the setup.

I wrote an article about the process and will write a few more as I continue. Check it out here: Nextgen Overland blog

We are on Instagram too, link on page!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users