#1 thewwkayaker

thewwkayaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, BC

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:20 AM

Installing the Atwood furnace in my 2007 Eagle FWC. Seems it was partially setup for the location next to stove (found the wiring after I removed a cupboard. Plumbing it wasn't bad - I replaced the T-connector under the stove with a 4-way connector.

The furnace I got has no access door. That's fine by me - I will just drill a hole for the exhaust vent. What should I use for sealing the vent hole? Since it will get hot caulking won't work. I'm not sure I could find and use a rubber seal either. Ideas? And should the vent tube have the bend go down to prevent the condensation water to return into the furnace?

The other issue is the furnace vent - it didn't come with one, I can't find one to purchase. I will be venting out of the front of the furnace - 5" vent hole. It came with two connectors for the 4" side vent holes. The furnace must use either 2 4" vents or just the one 5" vent hole at the front. What can I use for the 5" vent hole - I don't want to just have a tube sticking out?

Thanx

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 September 2018 - 04:53 AM

for sealing, use high temperature silicone.  You can get it at auto parts stores.  It's red in colour.

#3 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 26 September 2018 - 05:09 PM

Which Atwood? Some models are mounted "Upside Down" with respect to the Suburban furnaces, and your '07 might already be framed for the Suburban furnace top vent.

The vent consist of the exhaust and the combustion air inlet (Coaxial). You'll need the factory fitting for this to work, or fab something similar. Because the combustion air is pulled in around the exhaust pipe, the area contacting the framing and siding doesn't get too hot. My '04 Hawk (Suburban Furnace) has plastic spacers in it. Vic's suggestion of hi temp RTV is a good one for sealing the exhaust pipe itself, it is also available in home hardware/lumber stores.

Here's the framing for the Suburban furnace on my Hawk, note the black plastic inserts.

P1030940r.JPG

It seems like you should be able to purchase a grill for the interior air handler, or just use household forced air vents if they suit your design. Keep in mind the cold air return into the furnace is part of the scheme.

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users