• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 22 September 2018 - 09:00 PM

If your rig is set up to use shore power or batteries or a solar panel....you should still be prerared in case of electrical failure so as to not end your adventure in Paradise prematurely

1) a hand-powered can opener

2) a cork puller/beer bottle cap remover

3) couple flashlights for getting in/out and visiting the restroom at night

Now it gets interesting:

1) I carry a Coleman Lantern that uses white gas. Not for indoors use but you could rig it to hang right outside a side window and shine inside each night and still illuminate the campsite

2) I don't know if your camper has a stove with an electric pilot, but I carry one of those wands for lighting BBQs and campfires and the propane stove in my camper.

I think if you check all the electrical gizmos you have right down to even an electric skillet or coffee pot, you should have "Plan B" covered in case electrical power isn't an option.

There isn't an easy fix if your 'fridge isn't powered up so careful consuming of comestibles is suggested. You may be faced with warm beer for a couple days though (perish the thought!) and no ice for your cocktails....but you can still stay out there a little longer if you are prepared.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#2 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:45 PM

Yes, good to have a back ups. Most items listed above are NA in our case as we are already manual. A big one IMO is a second method of area heating.

Speaking of coleman, we used to carry around one of those super bright white gas lanterns until the glass broke. Still carry a box style coleman white gas stove.

But, back to heating, I had one of those old time white gas coleman catalytic heaters kicking around for 25yrs (used it a few times when brand new) and just recently recycled it. Naturally next time out we had furnace trouble (bad house batteries were the cause). Don't know if anyone has an opinion on using them vs the usual mr buddy for a back up ??

477618154_tp.jpg

sorry if that's a hijack ...

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:38 AM

My dad used to fire up one of those white gas catalytic heaters in our popup trailer back in the 60s, couldn't run it very long as it would blow you out with heat. Can't imagine using it in small space of a FWC. Be sure to ventilate well.

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:20 PM

Tho "flameless", the old style white gas heaters need to flame a bit to start and take a long time to cool down....I think a Buddy propane heater operates on the very same principle but is a lot faster, safer and easier and lighter and no liquid fuel.....

David Graves 

#5 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:35 PM

^,^^, thanks for the comments guys. Truth is, mr buddy might be safer with tip and O2 sensors - and the colman def had a low flame. OTOH the colman type can be had cheap and uses a diff fuel - which is an additional backup.

Another thought is an electric oil heater powered by a small portable genny (running mostly at night...) Generator being another approach to the OP (perhaps in a perverse way if used for said electric can opener for eg) and could double for home/cottage use. Cost and carrying could be cons.

As we are products of our experience, PackRat I ask, have you been in a camping situation where power is lost ? Have you considered the portable generator option ?

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:40 PM

Re: back up for fridge. We usually carry a cooler, as a contingency. Might be a salmon on the quiet but would also work better than a dead, upright fridge of the type we have.

#7 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:05 PM

When we run out of light we genrally go to bed....

Certainly have flashlights in truck and camper but it seems like our travel days are all pretty long whether driving or hiking or goofing off....usually wind down with the sun.

But there are lots of different ways to camp and travel......

David Graves

I have my original Heat Pail   fishing heater......love the old stuff.

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

I always have my backpacking gear along so I have enough to keep me for a few days.

Also carry a 1000W generator and 35A battery charger 'cause I often camp under heavy forest canopy.

Have a few P-38s in the utensils drawer and tool bag, along with church keys.  Headlamps, battery powered LED work lights, O2COOL fan with batteries, jump pack (can charge USB and 12V gizmos).

My refrigerator keeps things cold (enough) for 24 hours so I can run on generator once a day to keep stuff, if needed.

No heater.  If it gets below 10ºF I go home.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:52 AM

We always carry our winter coats balled up and stuffed into heavy-duty pillow cases to use as extra pillows. Came in handy this August when camping in the Sawtooth NF and woke up to 30 deg temps. Set the heater that night and next day woke up to low 50s so heater didn't run - go figure.

We generally carry a few gallons of water in a portable container for both emergency and convenience - the drain out the back of our Hawk is sluggish at best. Almost needed emergency water recently as the pump switch died, but I put on my Macgyver hat and bypassed it with a bent paperclip segment that we just pushed in and out as needed.

We did use our new electrical emergency protocol on our latest trip when two days of high temps and smokey skies depleted the batteries enough (50s%) so that the separator didn't connect much even though next day was a longer driving day. Smokey skies killed solar input so voltage stayed low. Stopped for groceries and bought a cheap Styrofoam cooler and ice. Transferred critical cold stuff and shut off fridge. Next day not much driving but solar good enough that we powered up the fridge following morning instead of getting more ice. Drove a bit plus solar put us in the pink (high 80s%). Kept the cooler the rest of the trip but everything fine with many 100% days.

We can recharge the phones and camera batteries from the truck while we drive if we have to.

Alan

#10 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:44 AM

K...I'm an old-school camper and just don't do enough of it to warrant the install of a solar setup and batteries. After dinner and some adult beverages, a little backgammon and a campfire, we climbed into the Alaskan to do a pan of hot water/bath and then hit the hay for the day. Aside from getting up for a Nature call a few times we would sleep until we woke up and then the "Coffee Maker" (that's me) would get water boiling in our drip coffee maker. 

That usually was enough heat from the stove to take the morning chill off of both even if it was in the 30s at night. Then a leisurely breakfast and we were off.

I've had two Alaskans with "ice boxes" and one Lance with a 3-way fridge in it. I liked the propane fridge s lot as I could get it really COLD on shore power and then when we arrived, go with propane. The key seemed to be using block ice as it melts slower than cubed. Nowadays I also carry a smaller ice chest with additional drinks in it.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users