• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:24 PM

The aspens are staring to show nice color in Hope Valley. It is not at its peak, but there are nice displays. We hope this means a nice year for fall colors.

We were in the general West Fork Carson River/Blue Lakes area this weekend for a couple of nights to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. :)

Congratulations... 35 wonderful years!

Passed through Hope Valley by Sorensen's Resort  yesterday on my way to move boulders build trail on the PCT/TRT reroute on Echo summit.  Trees are changing but not a intense wow at the moment.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#22 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:35 AM

We've altered our Yosemite trip next week, and will be in Lee Vining on Saturday 10/6. Sunday morning we'll try for Lundy to hike the upper canyon, or Carson Pass.

Don't forget the Whoa Nellie Deli.  Great food. 

#23 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 29 September 2018 - 05:03 PM

Boy, we seem to be having a weather change over here on the east side -was hot last week, but they say rain and cool this week.-but also windy with red flag warning fire  alerts!  I just spent $1200 for the super tune up on my old truck and she is ready to roll. Heading out of Susanville and down 395 , mid week!

This will be my first fall  run down to the Mono Lake/Bridgeport area and points south, since I worked there in the late 70's and I just   plan to take my time, enjoy and poke along and let "Bob" drive!  In some ways once I get past Minden this seems like almost a new adventure to me (been so long-why leave SV and the NE Ca/NW Nevada/Oregon country) so any new sites/cgs worth a look?  It seems to me that someone (was it Ski??) once mentioned Desert Creek CG SE of Topez Lake one time and I think since I have never  been there before, it might be a place to stop for a day or two on the way down-any plus or minis thoughts about it??  Where do we camp by Mono Lake these days-hate to pop the camper top in the wrong place? :P  Supposed to maybe meet an old Army buddy some where  down that away! Next stop-unknown!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#24 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:20 AM

Planning on heading up on Monday. Should be good according to the reports. Anyone else going to be on 395 next week?

This pic from Mono County's FB page. Taken yesterday, Rock Creek Rd. 

43140811_2867966833215267_86475100803018

Edited by billharr, 05 October 2018 - 12:51 AM.

#25 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 05 October 2018 - 03:03 AM

I think some folks are down there now! Heading out and down that way on Friday the 5th (had weather delay) and plan to be in that area for a while-just poking along looking for color. Like I said in a previous post, haven't been down there in years, so thought about looking for a place to camp for a while  north of Bridgeport -395/108 junction area (maybe head south and east to Desert Creek CG or west to Obsidian CG area-don't have any real plans, probably later head south toward June Lake area. If you want to PM me, I'll give you my cell phone number but I could be anywhere!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#26 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:14 PM

Called to make sure the NFS campgrounds I plan on staying at our open, all good. Monday night I will be at June Lake, Tuesday night Convict Lake and Wednesday night Lundy Canyon.  Should be a good trip. Plan on dinner at the Convict Lake Resort, I have heard good things about it.

Bill

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

Sounds like a great trip with hitting some nice spots! Have fun and travel safe and remember to give us a report on dinner at Convict Lake; :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#28 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:03 PM

Sounds like a great trip with hitting some nice spots! Have fun and travel safe and remember to give us a report on dinner at Convict Lake; :)

Rock Creek yesterday IMG_0584.JPG

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#29 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 07 October 2018 - 04:50 PM

Hello all,

Heading up to Lundy next Wednesday/Thursday, for a few “color” days, maybe bring my boat to fish in the area, maybe not.
I am participating in the FWC SoCal Anza Borrego Rally. Seriously considering heading down 395 to Fallbrook, visit my Uncle, then hit the Rally & make it a longer trip. I am looking for tips & places to shower & clean up at campgrounds or otherwise between Lundy & Fallbrook. Pay per shower or not. Any thoughts or clues as to likely spots?

Thanks Mark
PS ... Hope to run into Bill, & others, who gave me great info a while back before I finally purchased my Camper.

#30 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:01 AM

We've just returned from Lundy / 395 / Monitor Pass / Tahoe today.

It was our pleasure to connect with Ski and The Lady for a brief hike up Lundy Canyon this morning.

Always fun to reconnect and share stories, while scouting new routes for future hikes!

In general, the East Side colors are still a bit early.

There's bits of spot color here and there, but most many groves are still green.

Best color seen today was summit of Monitor Pass, looking south at a magnificent grove at peak color.  Soreneson's was a happy zoo of people immersed in a the full glory of peak aspen colors.  Lundy Canyon had a few spots, especially hiking above the beaver ponds.  But most areas are have not fully reached peak.

Our personal best color was at 9,000' on Tioga Pass, after driving through a small snowstorm.

Photos to follow . . .

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users