111 replies to this topic

#41 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:06 AM

Hollow core, no panel (smooth or flat surface) door blank (no hinge, door handle or striker cut outs), put on a Formica top.

Hollow core doors are very strong and flat, yet light weight.

Maybe do all sides (edges), top and back in Formica (sort of water proof, if it's always going to be outside). Formica is easy to apply with contact cement. Need a router to really make the Formica edges look nice, but a cheaper solution is to cut the Formica close (after gluing it down, do the edges first, then the top or back) and then file the Formica edges smooth.

Smallest door blank I've seen is 24" x 80" at places like Home Depot and Lowe's. If you have to cut it to size (by a fair amount), then you may need to trim the honey comb insides just a bit where you cut the door and insert (glue & clamp) a new light weight wood edge to make it look "finished" and reseal the door where it was cut.

That's the best explanation I can give. If you're confused and still interested, ask specific questions if you need to and I'll try to answer. 

Edited by Alley-Kat, 07 December 2018 - 06:07 AM.

#42 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:39 AM

Exterior folding shelf: Choose at least 1/2" thick and select the size you want: https://www.tapplast...ting_boards/346

Use a router to bullnose the edges and corners. Thru-bolt the hinge bolts or drill into a routered pocket on the underside from the rear surface and places the nuts or a nut-strip in the pocket if you don't want exposed screw heads.

Edited by ntsqd, 10 December 2018 - 02:39 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#43 Roaming_Eagle

Roaming_Eagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWhere The Boat Goes

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:02 AM

I built a mount to attach to the back to hold my four recovery boards.
McCarthy Rd

#44 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:23 AM

to avoid tearing shoulders, jackets, etc on these brackets.., we have 4 x 2' (approx) pieces of grey foam insulation (used to insulate water pipe), after stopping we immediate attach/wrap around the brackets which include the bolt/nuts (used to attach the struts)...they "snap" around the existing nut/bolts to "hold" nicely during our stay...now if you get too close rounding the back corners, you first rub / bump against the foam covers... these are the last accessories to come off before we leave a camp spot--tucked into a "junk container" just inside our back door...

#45 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:53 PM

Regarding folding table stuff! This will be a wonderful spring project for me as I don't have an enclosed workshop.

In the meantime, I look forward to seeing the pictures and plans posted by engineer types on this list.

Happy Yule!

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#46 Spud

Spud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationTwin Falls, Idaho

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:17 PM

Here is a link to pipe insulation.  I used a couple of zip ties to attach them to the back jack bracket.  My shoulders have been very happy since doing this.

https://www.homedepo...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. 
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. 
The winds will blow their own freshness into you, 
     and the storms their energy, 
          while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

-- John Muir

#47 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:37 PM

Here is a link to pipe insulation.  I used a couple of zip ties to attach them to the back jack bracket.  My shoulders have been very happy since doing this.

https://www.homedepo...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Photo of your installation? 

Sounds good...tied on...how they are zip tied is what I can grasp...I did about the same, but used 100 mph tape and a diagonal zip tie...not as elegant as these 90 degree pieces you are using..whatever I use must stay on while traveling..taking on and off would not work for us...

#48 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 16 December 2018 - 09:31 PM

bsam, How is that ski carrier working out? could you share any more detail, clearer images? I would like to duplicate. Roof and skis is a PITA

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

#49 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:09 PM

I built a mount to attach to the back to hold my four recovery boards.

Do you have any details on that?

#50 Northbynortheast

Northbynortheast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

With knowledge of the inherent weakness of the roof design, this coming spring I’m going to fabricate an aluminum roof rack system that will bear all weight on the jack brackets. The rear cross member will be behind the rear of roof the so that it will stay in place when raising the roof, the front cross member will have some kind of quick detatch system. I may incorporate mounts for a batwing awning and/or a shower enclosure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ski, jack bracket, storage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users