• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 29 September 2018 - 04:36 PM

I need some advice please, we have a 2014 Tundra Limited with the 6.6 bed, we previously had a Hawk model, it was a problem with weight before we upgraded the truck, after adding 2 extra leaf springs at Deaver Springs in LA, Firestone airbags, 10 ply "E" rated off road tires, and sway bar, we were OK. I do not think the Granby is much heavier at all compared to the Hawk. My real question is the 8' camper in a 6.6 truck bed? Has anybody done this, is it OK. Do you keep the tailgate installed and down, or can the tailgate be removed (less total weight)? Any problems with weight distribution with the camper hanging out 18" from the rear? We really want the extra 18" at the front dinette area, that would be so nice to have. Really appreciate some advice here, we do not want to make a mistake. Thanks

#2 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:17 PM

Otto, If you search 'rear overhang' in the forums you'll come across a number of threads that detail the wide variety of folks' comments and possible solutions re: this question.  In my own experience a Grandby Shell model doesn't pose an overhang problem for a well-decked-out 1/2-ton truck, as long as you can manage its fore-aft weight distribution properly.  'Light is right' and 'less is more' are apt ways to approach this.  Tailgate: definitely off to gain 70 lbs or so extra payload.  Weight of stored items moved as far forward of the rear axle as possible.  Pretty sure a fully loaded Grandby wouldn't work well in this config, but I'll let someone else with more knowledge on that kind of setup 'weigh in'.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Rico

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:41 PM

Rico posted while I was typing, but here's my .02 anyhoo:

8ft camper on a 6.5ft ? I can't offer any personal experience but I've seen it done, just not sure I've seen it on a Tundra. But I don't be surprised if it has...

My concern would be twofold (ignoring the whole overloaded GVWR trip)

First, not having a rear bumper.

Yes, I have backed into things. Also if ever drag coming out of cross ditches.

Second, the added extension and added weight aft of rear axle.

My rig has a rear overhang (to end of bumper) of 59", which I consider a lot, and a wheelbase of 162". In comparison for your idea, I estimate, would be ~61" overhang on a 164"WB, so pretty much the same. But, mine has a factory truck frame that extends 48" aft of axle and a heavy diesel engine and transmission up front to counter the rear weight. OTOH it has a (factory) aft of axle fuel tank which adds quite a bit of rear weight. That said I like to think we are "reasonably" within the vehicle's design spec. (F350 C&C)

Anyway, my concern would be the effect that extension and weight could have when off highway, subject to all that pounding and bouncing. So planned use needs to be factored in.

I'll add, if you buy the Granby and are unhappy with the driving results are you prepared to replace the truck ? (you have already upgraded it so I think further upgrades are prob out). If no then I'd think carefully before buying a bigger camper.

EDIT add a bit

Edited by klahanie, 29 September 2018 - 09:05 PM.

#4 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:36 PM

Rico posted while I was typing, but here's my .02 anyhoo:

8ft camper on a 6.5ft ? I can't offer any personal experience but I've seen it done, just not sure I've seen it on a Tundra. But I don't be surprised if it has...

My concern would be twofold (ignoring the whole overloaded GVWR trip)

First, not having a rear bumper.

Yes, I have backed into things. Also if ever drag coming out of cross ditches.

Second, the added extension and added weight aft of rear axle.

My rig has a rear overhang (to end of bumper) of 59", which I consider a lot, and a wheelbase of 162". In comparison for your idea, I estimate, would be ~61" overhang on a 164"WB, so pretty much the same. But, mine has a factory truck frame that extends 48" aft of axle and a heavy diesel engine and transmission up front to counter the rear weight. OTOH it has a (factory) aft of axle fuel tank which adds quite a bit of rear weight. That said I like to think we are "reasonably" within the vehicle's design spec. (F350 C&C)

Anyway, my concern would be the effect that extension and weight could have when off highway, subject to all that pounding and bouncing. So planned use needs to be factored in.

I'll add, if you buy the Granby and are unhappy with the driving results are you prepared to replace the truck ? (you have already upgraded it so I think further upgrades are prob out). If no then I'd think carefully before buying a bigger camper.

EDIT add a bit

I hear you!!. I am prepared to buy a new truck for sure, a 1 ton gas model, if this does not work well

#5 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:22 PM

^ Beauty, enjoy your new Granby !

...and your trips away from S'Toons ridiculous traffic ^_^ (and this is from a YVR boy !)

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:20 PM

I have a strong feeling that this will not work well.    My memory was that you were not really happy with the Tundra/Hawk combination until you did a bunch of work on the Tundra suspension.   I am glad that it is OK now, but I doubt it will be OK with the Grandby and you have already made all the usual load carrying modifications. 

Now the Grandby is going to weigh more, and you will likely carry more stuff with the extra room.  But most importantly, the center of gravity for the Grandby is 43" back from the front of the bed - which is 11" further back than the Hawk.   Measure the distance from the front of your truck bed to the center of the rear axel  - if this is less than 43" (which I am guessing it is) then your center of gravity will be behind your rear axel.   Being heavy and having that weight behind the rear axel is a bad combination.   The effective load on the rear axel will be MORE than the total weight of the camper, you will unload the front axel as the truck pivots around the rear axel effectively transferring extra weight to the rear.   With this configuration your steering can get squirrelly on washboard roads or going over bumps, under dynamic conditions you can significantly unload the front axel.  There was a discussion here a year or so ago about someone who was experiencing just this issue with a long bed camper in a lighter weight short bed truck. 

I think you should either consider a flatbed Fleet or Hawk on your current Tundra (which has more usable space than a Grandby and a rear dinette) or plan on going to a long bed truck before you get the Grandby.

Edited by rando, 30 September 2018 - 03:21 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:55 AM

<p>I agree with everything Rando said 110%</p>

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#8 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:04 AM

I am thinking you guys are right. I have a message into Rocky Mountain FWC, see what they say. Denny at jackson Hole told me a year ago that many people installed a Granby in a 6.6 Trudra bed. But I worry about the center of gravity. However, after I upgraded the tires and added 2 extra leaf springs my Hawk was fine, but I get that the Granby's center of weight is further back. There was ZERO steering issues with my Hawk after upgrades, it handled like a dream. I had 45 air in the rear and 40 in the front, with 25 in the airbags, we were at least 2200 LBS loaded up, most likely more, we had the jacks on, future trips there will be no jacks on, no tailgate, and no bed extension, less tools (I had at least 100 lbs of tools last trip with the Hawk). I do not think we will be more weight with the Granby with all these items deleted, the Granby weighs about same as the Hawk as far as I can tell, we really want the bigger dinette seating, that is the only difference, except the center of gravity. Of course the Granby will hang over the back 16", maybe a big less, I removed the huge front bumpers on my Hawk, moving the camper towards the cab at least 4" or so, I will of course do this with the Granby if it has these huge bumpers, I will move it as far as I can towards the cab.

#9 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:07 AM

^ Beauty, enjoy your new Granby !

...and your trips away from S'Toons ridiculous traffic ^_^ (and this is from a YVR boy !)

Saskatoon traffic is nothing compared to most cities in the world, we are getting 2 new bridges soon, this fall, and 2 new over passes!!! But the snow and -40 are AWFUL, don't want to ever see a snowflake again in my life if I can avoid it!!!

#10 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:27 AM

I'm running a Grandby on a Tundra and quite happy with it overall.

I use some pressure treated 2x4's to support the overhang. Run E rated tires and air bags on mine.

While I might not want to take it over Elephant Hill or do some other more adventurous 4-wheeling it has handled the White Rim Trail and anyplace else that I wanted to go without a problem.
2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users