• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#11 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:23 PM

I'm running a Grandby on a Tundra and quite happy with it overall.

I use some pressure treated 2x4's to support the overhang. Run E rated tires and air bags on mine.

While I might not want to take it over Elephant Hill or do some other more adventurous 4-wheeling it has handled the White Rim Trail and anyplace else that I wanted to go without a problem.

Would you be so kind to send me some photos of your Granby on your Tundra please? I would really appreciate it. 

kleerogers@gmail.com

My Tundra is a 2014 DC, with E rated tires, airbags, and sway bar, I also added 2 extra leaf springs at Deaver springs in LA, the Hawk we previously had was perfectly fine after all the upgrades, the Granby weighs the same as the Hawk, so I do not see any problems, my only concern is the center of gravity.

Tell me, why do you need 2X4 at the back for support? Is that really necessary for a 16" overhang?

#12 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:02 PM

Would you be so kind to send me some photos of your Granby on your Tundra please? I would really appreciate it. 

Tell me, why do you need 2X4 at the back for support? Is that really necessary for a 16" overhang?

I'll send you some photos later as I'm at work now so it'll probably be this evening unless I get a lull in the day and can go digging. 

The 2x4's do two things, one they support the camper the entire length and two they raise it a bit so that it doesn't ride on the rails of the bed.  My camper is a 2002 and otherwise it would be a bit short and hang from the sides of the Tundra rails with the floor being unsupported.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#13 Chrish

Chrish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:31 PM

I have a 08 Granby on a dodge ram 1500 with 1740lbs load capacity and 6'4" bed.

Tailgate off, rear seat out, airbags for the rear coil springs and the truck already come standard with front and rear antisway bars

FWC says rear needs to be supported. So I got the idea from this forum to use a steel angle iron and two chains with aluminium turnbuckles that go to the tailgate cable support lugs.

Works great and lightweight.

Definitely leave off the jacks and you could also not fill your water tanks until you get to your destination to save some weight.

I've been in my friends Hawk and the added room in the Granby is very nice.

Edited by Chrish, 01 October 2018 - 04:32 PM.

#14 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:32 PM

I have a 08 Granby on a dodge ram 1500 with 1740lbs load capacity and 6'4" bed.

Tailgate off, rear seat out, airbags for the rear coil springs and the truck already come standard with front and rear antisway bars

FWC says rear needs to be supported. So I got the idea from this forum to use a steel angle iron and two chains with aluminium turnbuckles that go to the tailgate cable support lugs.

Works great and lightweight.

Definitely leave off the jacks and you could also not fill your water tanks until you get to your destination to save some weight.

I've been in my friends Hawk and the added room in the Granby is very nice.

The exact information I needed. We really want the extra room, we were cramped in our Hawk last winter for 4 months, we need a bigger dinette table and seating. We are looking at a Woolrich edition, brand new

#15 BWSracing

BWSracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:28 PM

I had a Grandby in my 2500 short bed Ram and it was not ideal. so much so that i ended up buying a long bed truck to properly house the Grandby. 

1. Short wheel base and lots of overhang is an odd sensation. 

2. Towing a trailer with a camper hanging out is a bad idea. doable in an emergency but by no means a long term solution.

3. With the rear height of the entrance and no bumper it was immensely difficult to get in and out and my wife and I are younger.

4. Off road we were always concerned with departure angle and this was a very tall truck. 

5. Park sensors and back up camera were no longer usable. 

Long story short, the long bed truck was such an upgrade for the Granby and I would not use a short bed truck unless an temporary emergency/solution. 

Hope this helps.  

#16 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:14 AM

Not the same, a lighter duty Tundra and lighter FWC Ranger.  I had this combo for 10 years with no problems and loved the extra length.  If you are willing to buy a longbed truck if it doesn't work out then go for it.

20070609010.jpg

20070714004.jpg

DSC_0186-L.jpg

Edited by jimjxsn, 06 October 2018 - 02:19 AM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#17 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:20 AM

The majority of weight of the camper is center forward, the added length off the back is the lighter end of the camper. So the center of gravity is moved only slightly to the rear with the longer camper but not the distance of added length. I would think fwc would have weighed the various camper models on scales and should know the appx center...tundras are close to 3/4 ton and i would think not much of an issue with the changes you've made....

#18 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 October 2018 - 06:13 AM

The dinette style may be an important factor in your decision. In the front dinette, the batteries are in the rear driver’s side of the camper. All the difference in length between the front dinette Grandby and the Hawk is in the increased width of the dinette seats at the front of the camper. This would mean that much of the weight of the batteries and the cabinets including PortaPotti/cassette toilet would be hanging out in empty space.

See floor plans on FWC website. https://fourwh.com/p...per-8-foot-bed/

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#19 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:28 AM

I'm going to have to agree with Paul.

You should call FWC and ask them where the Center Of Gravity (COG) is on the Grandby and measure the distance from the front of your bed to the axle. My guess is that the COG will be behind the axle which is NOT a safe way to go.

I was just looking on the FWC website and every picture of the Grandby was on a 3/4 ton or larger truck with an 8' bed...

Food for thought....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#20 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

Here are a couple pics...  My Grandby is a 2002 with a couch batteries are at the front, 2x100W solar on top.  Tows just fine, both my small trailer and my roommate's travel trailer which I initially picked up in Twin Falls, ID and delivered to Las Vegas.  

i-rwFGzPV-L.jpg

20150315 123351

And stairs work well for getting in and out of the camper...

i-pJVc4m4-L.jpg

AgiQAo91AEdP66g77

qKmytkYX3qPRY6ws7

qKmytkYX3qPRY6ws7

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users