29 replies to this topic

#1 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:43 AM

Tried to search for this but came up empty...my 4.7L '05 Tundra has what is termed an "interference motor"; if the timing belt fails with the motor running it pretty much ruin and self-digest the engine.

My question:  Toyota recommends replacing the rubber/fabric timing belt at 100K miles or 10 years. 

Has anyone actually had a belt break and ruin their motor? 

My '05 was bought new and has only 41K; replacing the belt [water pump replaced as part of the repair] costs about $950. 

I don't wish to be penny wise and pound foolish but neither to I want to either worry about this when in BFE or get hustled into replacing a belt that may go for another 100K.  Carrying a '16 Hawk.

Any experiences and insights will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

#2 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:57 AM

Hi Phil

There is a pretty responsive group of folks at the web forum "Toyota nation"

I have been able to learn a lot duing the years owning our T100 and Tacoma.

They seem to have sub groups dedicated to different models.

Might look over yonder.

David Graves

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:50 AM

Replace at 100k due to wear, replace at 10yrs due to cracking and the belt breaking down. I have coffee every morning with my bud that owns an auto shop and I have seen some belts replaced that were shot and on borrowed time, others that looked as if they could go another couple years. You won't know until you open up that motor to examine the belt and if you've gone that far, you might as well install the new part(s). The penalty for not doing it is much more expensive than replacing it. Your choice.

Edited by Beach, 01 October 2018 - 03:01 AM.

#4 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 01 October 2018 - 04:23 AM

I had the replacements done at 100k intervals on my '03 Tundra. Better than potentially ruining a motor or having it go out in the middle of nowhere. Think of it as replacing your tires - it's just part of the cost of running your rig!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:32 PM

"I had the replacements done at 100k intervals on my '03 Tundra. Better than potentially ruining a motor or having it go out in the middle of nowhere. Think of it as replacing your tires - it's just part of the cost of running your rig!"

Yes, it is maintenance. Although I do most of our own work - yup, replaced the timing belt on Julie's old Subaru Forrester at the recommended 100k -  I follow the recommended maintenance schedule to give our vehicles the best chance for a long and fruitful life.

BTW, we replaced her Forrester with a new Subaru Crosstrek because they now use a timing chain that does not require replacement.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 October 2018 - 03:30 PM

timing belts are an absolute “must do” i’ve done a dozen myself. and seen the results of not doing them

#7 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2018 - 05:34 PM

I had mine go out on my Solara at 70,000ish miles. When I asked the mechanic about that because I thought the miles were much higher he said (I think) 90,000 or 8 years. It was 8 1/2 years old.

I was lucky there was no damage :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

Funny thing... we used to have a 1998 Toyota Avalon.  In the USA, it was 100k miles between timing belt changes.  In Canada, 100k km.  Same car.  Mazda was the same way.  Eventually the Canadian cars followed the US model and went to 160k km.  

I like the belt design vs chains.  Belts are typically easier to change, and cars that have chains with problems (BMW, Audi) have the chains buried on the firewall side and are a pain to get at when they do need work

#9 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:24 PM

I just want to underscore the point that, speaking generally, timing belts may last a long time. The last one I replaced was on my DD, at 18 yrs old and 162K miles. A tensioner pulley had broken so I was into it anyway and replaced the belt also. The old one was in excellent condition and quite possibly could have out lasted the vehicle. It was also of excellent quality (oem).

Note, this was in a non interference design and a vehicle that does not travel remote, both important distinctions. Personally, I do agree with the "part of maintenance" outlook. I consider vehicles to be expensive no matter how you slice it and I don't take chances when we travel.

But I'm not like everyone. Someone more inclined to a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude may want to consider how long they plan on keeping the vehicle and for how many miles. And, if they are prepare to face the consequences of a breakage. These are common considerations that apply eventually to most vehicles.

#10 GT-Jim

GT-Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:57 AM

A guy I work with had a Jetta with a timing belt that had a tick over 100K miles.  I reminded him to get his belt changed and a few weeks later he and his wife left for the in-laws and made it 60 miles and the belt broke.  He's not a car guy and I don't think he understood the consequences. Jetta is an interference motor also, if you asked him what he would do I bet you know the answer. Granted it was an unfortunate coincidence and could have easily lasted longer than it did but it didn't.

2018 Silverado 2500HD diesel with 2015 Hallmark K2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users