23 replies to this topic

#1 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 03 October 2018 - 01:02 PM

Greetings

I just took delivery of my New camper on Monday. There are pictures and videos on BundutecUSA Facebook page. I’ll post more when I have time.

Maybe there should be a new Forum section dedicated to this company. They are fantastic to work with, and build a quality product.

Cheers

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:07 PM

Congrats on your new camper! Looking forward to photos! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:28 PM

X2 !

more info, more better

#4 Kali

Kali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:33 AM

That looks really cool!

#5 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:20 PM

I will be checking them out at Overland East :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#6 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:31 PM

Here are a few more pictures. I plan on doing a full write up with pics soon. We will be testing it out this week.

Attached Thumbnails

• FB_IMG_1539004872064.jpg
  • FB_IMG_1539004860151.jpg

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:50 PM

Have fun "testing it out this week"! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:33 PM

I finally have some time to post a description of the build.  It was done in three phases.

Phase 1 -- Replace my Tacoma

We were looking for a truck that could carry 4 people and get a camper that was both bigger than our FWC Eagle and designed around our needs.  We loved the Eagle and used it a lot but we wanted a comfy place to sit in when the weather was less than stellar, and more room to take our granddaughter camping.  

I narrowed my search down to a 1 ton Ram gasser and after a few months searching, purchased a 2015 Laramie edition for an excellent price and with only 18,000 miles on it.  It has way more bells and whistles than I typically get (heated/cooled seats, leather) but I really liked the fold flat platform in the back and the price was right.

20180609_095155.jpeg

Phase 2 -- Build a Flatbed

We really wanted a Flatbed model for the space so I needed to find a manufacturer who could build what I wanted.  Alumline in Cresco, Iowa is close by and they were willing to do a custom build.  There are storage boxes fore and aft of the rear wheels and I added a drawer, accessible from the back, that extends the full length of the bed.  One of the boxes was large enough that I permanently mounted my ExtremeAire compressor in one and ran the airline to a quick release at the rear of the bed.  Alumline had a person who bought my original bed and paid what I thought was a fair price.

Build quality is great and everything works very well.  Their customer service experience is not great but ultimately, I got what I wanted.

20180627_121009.jpeg

20180928_141509.jpeg

20180928_141524.jpeg

Stay tuned for Phase 3.

#9 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:08 PM

Phase 3 -- The Camper

We looked at all the major camper builders who had built flatbed models who were within our budget and willing to customize a few things so we could get what we wanted.  After visiting a number of places, we settled on Bundutec in Raymond, Iowa.  Rory, the owner, has 40 years in the camping industry, having previously owned Northstar Campers.  Jenn, his General Manager, has been with him for years and together, they run a great company.

We visited them in March and were very impressed with their products and general approach.  They build their campers using a wood frame and I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being less than crazy about a wooden built camper.  But, having owned wooden boats and seeing their build process, I became comfortable enough to place an order.

Rory is willing to build pretty much anything a customer wants assuming it makes sense.  My wife wanted an indoor toilet and I wanted to use a National Luna Fridge I had rather than a vertical fridge.  Rory admitted he had never built a side entry flatbed camper but said he was up to the task and off we went.  He was also willing to let me source a few things and he would install them for me.

The interior is somewhat similar to the layout that FWC uses with one custom change -- a hidden compartment for the National Luna fridge.  In my Eagle, I mounted it over the water tank but it took up a lot of space and it was difficult to access when the top was down.  Rory's solution was to mount the fridge on a slide and tuck it away under the bed.

20181001_104238.jpeg   20181001_104223.jpeg

The rear dinette has plety of room for seating and folds flat to a bed, perfect for my granddaugter.  The table top is due soon and will double as the platform to make the bed.

20181001_104542.jpeg

The bed area is a full queen size and has storage bins on both sides.  At the top of one side is a 12 volt and USB port.  The entire bed lifts up and there are three massive storage bins that run the length of the bed.

20181001_104159.jpeg

My wife gets her toilet -- a Thetford cassette model.  Access to the tank is on the outside.

unnamed (1).jpg

The kitchen includes a two burner stove and a large sink that are topped with glass.  Plenty of drawer and cabinet space.  On the front of the cabinet is the satellite radio I added and the speakers are at the end of the bed platform.

20181001_104150.jpeg   20181001_104310.jpeg

These are the controls for the Truma Combi furnace and hot water heater and the solar controller.  I added 340W of solar from AM Solar.  The Truma is extremely efficient and so quiet, you cannot hear it running.

unnamed.jpg

I also purchased a QuickPitch shower enclosure and it is mounted next to the outdoor shower controls outside.

unnamed (2).jpg

We will be adding Torklift stairs at some point but they are backordered.  The 4 foot ladder works well.

20181001_135628.jpeg

A few outside pictures.

FB_IMG_1539004860151.jpeg   FB_IMG_1539004872064.jpeg

We will take our maiden voyage camping the next few nights and will be definitely testing the furnace -- its expected to get into the 20's at night.  I'll post more pictures with the roof up and the awning extended when we return.

Cheers

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 13 October 2018 - 10:58 PM

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Happy camping.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users