14 replies to this topic

#11 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:24 AM

I wouldn't know with certainty. Depends on '18/'19 snowpack and May-June weather. There are certainly a goodly number of north-facing slopes along the road where snowbanks can linger, but I faintly recall reading about some Springtime snow removal efforts along the GRR. With so much above-timberline open space, the wildflowers are a big deal and that may be a factor in spurring some snow removal. I'd consider a chat by telephone with somebody at the Madison Ranger District office of the Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF and following them on Facebook keeps you close to the news feed, as well.

Foy,  I'm thinking of doing this in 2019, likely first week of July.  Is that too early?

Twice in consecutive years I've been turned around in the first or second weeks of July by snowbanks on north-facing slopes at elevations between 9,200' (2010) and down to 8,500' (2011) in the Pioneer Mountains of Montana, around 40 miles W-NW of the Gravellies. The great majority of the "good stuff" along the GRR is at 9,000' and above. The 2010 stoppage was on a spur road which sees little other than ATV traffic but the 2011 stoppage was on a through-route, albeit following a near record snowpack in '10/'11.

Since you'll be in the neighborhood, you'll want to consider visiting the Centennial Valley (home to Red Rock Lakes NWR) at the south end of the GRR.  Searching for Nowhere, the Ski3pins, and yours truly heartily recommend it.  

Foy

Edited by Foy, 16 October 2018 - 09:31 AM.

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:49 PM

Since you'll be in the neighborhood, you'll want to consider visiting the Centennial Valley (home to Red Rock Lakes NWR) at the south end of the GRR.  Searching for Nowhere, the Ski3pins, and yours truly heartily recommend it.  

Foy

Thanks Foy.  By Centennial Valley, do you mean the road from Monida to Red Rock Lakes?  

#13 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Foy.  By Centennial Valley, do you mean the road from Monida to Red Rock Lakes?  

Yes, that's the Centennial Valley stretching from I-15 at Monida (no services closer than Lima, about 20 miles north on I-15) east through Lakeview (no services) past Red Rock Lakes NWR, over Hellroaring Creek (the true headwater source of the Missouri River) to Red Rock Pass (graded gravel--Camry rated) and reaching US 20 at Henry's Lake, ID, around 60 miles from Monida or 45 miles from the road junction north of the Lima Reservoir headwater crossing shown as Lyons Bridge on my Benchmark.

I'd traverse the CV along the South Shore Rd, aka Monida-Lakeview Rd, Red Rock Pass Rd, or just MT-509.  It's the main road, runs in most places a few tens of feet above the expansive pancake-flat CV valley floor, and passes through Lakeview where the RRLNWR office/visitor center is located.  Lakeview has something of a population in summer what with NWR visitors and a number of students and researchers at several field stations.  But no fuel or other services.

And, to the west, west of Lima and Dell is the Big Sheep Creek Backcountry Byway softly calling for another 60 mile gravel road excursion through canyons, huge sagebrush hills, the forested Tendoy Range and southernmost Beaverhead Mountains, popping out on MT 324 not far from Bannack...........

Foy

#14 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:36 PM

Vipond Park was one of my favorite places I discovered. Did you drive the road between the kilns and Vipond Park? I had been warned about the road at the ranger station. I'm a wimp. But I decided to drive it and fortunately I didn't meet anyone coming the other direction.

My wife got a great rainbow shot as we neared the top. We had a pick-up coming down, and he backed up out of the way. We to loved Vipond Park. We pulled off into the lodgepole pines and camped for the night.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:00 PM

Yes, that's the Centennial Valley stretching from I-15 at Monida (no services closer than Lima, about 20 miles north on I-15) east through Lakeview (no services) past Red Rock Lakes NWR, over Hellroaring Creek (the true headwater source of the Missouri River) to Red Rock Pass (graded gravel--Camry rated) and reaching US 20 at Henry's Lake, ID, around 60 miles from Monida or 45 miles from the road junction north of the Lima Reservoir headwater crossing shown as Lyons Bridge on my Benchmark.

I'd traverse the CV along the South Shore Rd, aka Monida-Lakeview Rd, Red Rock Pass Rd, or just MT-509.  It's the main road, runs in most places a few tens of feet above the expansive pancake-flat CV valley floor, and passes through Lakeview where the RRLNWR office/visitor center is located.  Lakeview has something of a population in summer what with NWR visitors and a number of students and researchers at several field stations.  But no fuel or other services.

And, to the west, west of Lima and Dell is the Big Sheep Creek Backcountry Byway softly calling for another 60 mile gravel road excursion through canyons, huge sagebrush hills, the forested Tendoy Range and southernmost Beaverhead Mountains, popping out on MT 324 not far from Bannack...........

Foy

Thanks for this Foy.  I added to Big Sheep to our route.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users