• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:59 AM

I have been trying to think how we can use the dead space on either side of the camper in front of the wheel wells. It occurred to me that if we transfer our house batteries to this dead space we would essentially be gaining that same space inside.
Other than not being able to access the batteries with the camper on the truck what other cons do you see with this idea.
Thanks in advance.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#2 Chrish

Chrish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:48 AM

How would you tie them down?

Btw, that space outside of the camper is ideal for dirty laundry storage. Turnbuckle attachment points make that space unusable for batteries on my setup.

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:52 AM

Hi Russ

I think that is a great idea and one that I have been thinking about.

To that end I replaced my front turnbuckles with thru bolts to the truck frame. 

It would involve some extra caution with chafe guard  on leads etc.

I read somehwere early campers were set up that way.

Moving two heavy lumps of lead that far forward and ballanced side to side must be a good thing.

Jack the camper once in a while and just pull truck forward enough to check on things....and easily do a visual inspection thru the front turnbuckle hatch.

I use an AGM battery so electrolyte is not an issue.

David Graves  

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:07 AM

Russ, I believe this is common with some campers. When I was talking with Alaskan, that was their suggestion.

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t do it with your Cougar.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:43 AM

Battery temperature might be a concern.  Does your solar controller have temp compensation?  Only do it if you have AGM's.  Pain in the butt to check fluids with them in there.  Other than that, sounds like a great idea.

#6 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:45 AM

I moved the single battery in my Ranger II to in front of the passenger wheel well of the pick up bed years ago and IMO it is best place for the battery(s). There are lots of auxiliary battery trays/hold downs on the market.

cwd

CWDT

#7 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:37 PM

Morning
Well securing the batteries would requires a mounting bracket. Enough to elevate them and hold the batteries close to the outer wall. My ford has radius where the side meets the floor. Our batteries are in the very front under the couch. That are sealed agm. Vic I do not know about the temperature control part of your question. Factory PWM charger from atc. Would probably fab up a custom bracket.
Well this sounds promising, any suggestions on where to buy Anderson connectors.
Thanks for the input.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:23 PM

I think the 2 main things would be a) exposure to the elements and B) not much insulation so the battery would drain quicker in the cold.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 BlueSky

BlueSky

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:47 PM

I tried going this route.  When I had my Cougar built I asked Marty at ATC about putting the battery in front of the wheel arch in the bed, and he said because of the turn buckle it would not fit (I have a group 27 Marine). Once I got it home I found that Marty was right, but it would fit behind the wheel arch so I moved it there (see pic below). Ultimately I moved the battery back inside up front because I was a little worried I would smack the battery with the front corner of the camper when loading the camper on the truck, and when I take the camper off I have this 70lb battery sitting in the bed that I also have to remove. Finally, having it back behind the wheel was not helping with my weight distribution.  Temps are not a problem as long as the batteries are kept fully charged. Two smaller batteries up in front of the wheel arches would work and keep good weight distribution/CG and far less likely to damage one when loading the camper of the truck, but you still have extra wiring and heavy batteries sitting in your bed when the camper is removed.

i-vM6J2wK-M.jpg

Two smaller batteries on

#10 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

Blue Sky

You image attached to your posting brings up a question I have long pondered.

How large a portal  cut in the side of the floorpak can one make without structural issues ?

The round hole is a very strong shape structuraly.  

David Graves

Edited by DavidGraves, 08 October 2018 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users