14 replies to this topic

#1 drewdown

drewdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:08 PM

My camper is only a few months old but I think I'm going to add solar. I'm wondering if there are any charge controllers that are plug and play? I popped off the little block off plate and can see a wire loom with a connector. I'd prefer not to have to cut and splice. I'm assuming beyond the charge controller is all I need is a panel with a compatible SAE connector and whichever mounting system I decide to use. Just want to make sure before I order anything.

#2 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:17 PM

Following...I have the same question for my Granby.

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:55 PM

Plug and Pray?   :P

I'm not sure how simple you want it, and what simple is worth to you.  Yes, you can get a controller and never look at it.  The cost of that is that your batteries are unlikely to survive more than 2-3 years, and the risk is that you will be without power and not even know why.  

If you are ok with that risk and ok with buying batteries more often, then sure.. plug and pray.

Otherwise... planning and forethought and monitoring are all needed.  

Which way do you want to go?

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:11 PM

And to ad to Vic.

Have you figured out what is you battery usage, do you have D.C. Only refrigerator. Lots of winter or summer camping. If your demands for battery usage are greater than what you can replace with the truck alternator, then yes solar can help. But you need to know how much solar you need and what is your budget. Go camping and monitor for a while your usage. Some people don't need solar and some it is a nessesity.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 drewdown

drewdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:36 PM

And to ad to Vic.
Have you figured out what is you battery usage, do you have D.C. Only refrigerator. Lots of winter or summer camping. If your demands for battery usage are greater than what you can replace with the truck alternator, then yes solar can help. But you need to know how much solar you need and what is your budget. Go camping and monitor for a while your usage. Some people don't need solar and some it is a nessesity.

I called fwc and they said I’ll have to cut that connector but that it’s really simple. I camp 4-5 days at a time and just use the battery for showers, lights at night and for the furnace. I pre chill the refrigerator on shoreline and then switch to propane. Voltage drops to about 12.3 after a few days. But if I had solar I’d be less concerned with saving juice.

#6 drewdown

drewdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:38 PM

Plug and Pray?   :P

I'm not sure how simple you want it, and what simple is worth to you.  Yes, you can get a controller and never look at it.  The cost of that is that your batteries are unlikely to survive more than 2-3 years, and the risk is that you will be without power and not even know why.  

If you are ok with that risk and ok with buying batteries more often, then sure.. plug and pray.

Otherwise... planning and forethought and monitoring are all needed.  

Which way do you want to go?

I simply asked if that plastic connector was used because it was compatible with whatever charge controller fwc uses.

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:41 PM

oops.  I apologize for making a fuss.

To your question, there will be wires that need to be run, that will come from the controller and eventually connect to that connector.  

#8 drewdown

drewdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:41 PM

Pic for reference

5FWcOgs.jpg

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:40 PM

Lots of info on the forum here about wiring, what gear to get, etc.  Long story short, get the biggest (size and watts) panel that will fit onto your roof.  FWC uses a 160W that is good.  Get a "smart" controller and monitoring system, not the ZAMP that FWC is using these days.  Folks here are recommending the Victron Energy gear.  That would include a MPPT controller, and the BMV battery monitor.  

First step would be to install the battery monitor so get good data on what is happening now to your batteries, and can better scale/design the charging solution. PKSY is a good source:  (no affiliation or other connections) 

https://shop.pkys.co...ler_p_3666.html

https://shop.pkys.co...ry-Monitor.html

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:47 AM

The thing in the picture is not actually a connector, it is a Wago junction block (like a fancy wire nut).   It doesn't plug into any charge controller - just joins the two sets of wires from the roof top and wall solar connectors to a third set of wires which you would attach to the screw terminals on your solar controller.   

So in short there is no 'plug and play' solar controller - they are all about the same work to install.   A good choice would be the Victron Smart MPPT controllers:

https://shop.pkys.co...ooth_c_806.html

They are easy to configure through the iOS/Android App, no need for a display and lots of folks on here have them so you can usually find the answers you may need on WtW. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users