Photo

New Alaskan Side Entry Flatbed 8.5' Build!

flatbed alaskan side entry ram 8.5 custom offroad

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dahlberg

Dahlberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:03 AM

Hello!

We wanted to share our Alaskan flatbed camper build with you and give a little bit of info on how we decided on this setup in the hope that this can help someone else. We originally built out a 2016 Sprinter (that we initially loved!) but after having it for a year we realized while we loved having a vehicle that gets us out comfortably, it was not our ideal setup. We didn’t care for the height, the unibody frame, dealing with random rattles, driving in the wind, and how tough it is to get extra seating safely into the build. Our main activities are biking and climbing, and while the huge garage space of our van was awesome for gear, it got old having to swing out the bike rack every time we wanted something. Also, we found driving in our living space pretty annoying; it was loud and it felt like we were constantly chasing new rattles. The unibody frame construction also creaked quite a bit on off-camber terrain. The van taught us a lot about what we wanted and we truly enjoyed the ease of it, it just wasn’t the best fit for us and how we use this vehicle.

So, in thinking of our new build, we knew we wanted: a crew cab truck with a true 4x4, something we could stand up in with a bed ready to go, ample gear storage, and ideally somewhere to sit while inside. We live in Colorado and looked at Hallmark, Phoenix, and Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Campers. All had things we liked (and were all local), but we ended up really liking the quality of the Alaskan builds, the ability to customize everything about them, and the hard-sided pop-up. We would have loved to look at an XP camper or a Bahn, but they were far out of our price range.

Working with Bryan at Alaskan was great, this was their third side entry flatbed and we customized quite a bit. We have the Truma Combi heater/water heater, 30 gal propane tank, 27 gal fresh water tank, Thetford stove, NovaCool 122L fridge, a 170W panel with a Zamp solar system, and two 105Ah house batteries for our 12V system. We also changed all of their usual colors inside to suit our tastes and could not be happier with how the interior turned out!!

Overall, we are really happy with the setup! Alaskan does beautiful work, and having to pop it up is not nearly as annoying as we thought it would be. The hard-sided pop-up is really the best of both worlds! It’s nice having such a comfortable ride in the truck and the ability to drive safely with more people. Driving the truck is much more stable, we are not affected by the wind at all and the days of white-knuckle driving are over. Also having the dinette is surprisingly useful! We didn’t think we would use it so much, but the space in there is so functional with two people and two dogs.

If we were to do this again, we would have tried to figure out how to get the flatbed to be lower so the cabover is closer to the cab. We do have a decent amount of wheel travel but we have to figure out some sort of fairing to fill the gap. We had Alum-Line build our custom flatbed and put in an extra hitch in the frame of the flatbed for our bike rack so we would have more clearance and be able to keep the OEM truck hitch open for a recovery point.

The downsides we have noticed are: the gas mileage with our 3500 Ram 6.4L Hemi V8 (we’re getting 10-11MPG… hoping this improves with a fairing and engine break-in), the large gap between the truck cab and the camper, and having to take out stairs to get into the camper easily. We are also running LT295/70R18 Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX tires which are probably affecting our gas mileage as well. To us, these downsides are the price to pay for a setup that works really well for what we need.

The side entry flatbed makes so much sense and we are just thrilled with it!!! Hopefully this is helpful for you, let us know if you have any questions!! If you’re interested in seeing more pictures of both the camper and van build (and all of our adventures!!!), we have them posted to our Instagram: www.instagram.com/iggy_the_igloo/

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 44.JPG
  • 55.jpg
  • 66.jpg
  • 77.jpg
  • 88.jpg

Edited by Dahlberg, 11 October 2018 - 03:21 PM.

#2 Mike S.

Mike S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationHope, B.C.

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:03 AM

You wont be sorry going with Alaskan!  This is one of nicest builds I have seen.  My old one will have to do, but I am envious.

99 Dodge 2500 4x4 Diesel, 94 CO Alaskan 10', 10 ply BFGs Air bags,  VE7YHE

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:56 PM

I can see why you're pleased with the results. Great job on the interior choices. Unique and good looking. Love the large drawer set,  front right.

Is there room for a porta poti under the curbside dinette seat ?

What is the dinette width and how do you like that size for the number of persons?

What is the camper floor length ?

Thank you. And welcome to WTW !

#4 Dahlberg

Dahlberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:50 PM

You wont be sorry going with Alaskan!  This is one of nicest builds I have seen.  My old one will have to do, but I am envious.

Oh thank you! Alaskan does great work, it's hard to go wrong with any of their builds!

#5 Dahlberg

Dahlberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:17 PM

Is there room for a porta poti under the curbside dinette seat ?

What is the dinette width and how do you like that size for the number of persons?

What is the camper floor length ?

Hey thank you so much!! To answer your questions:

We have not used a porta poti and opted to not get the cassette toilet Alaskan uses and instead put in that bank of drawers. The space under the curbside dinette is large and deep, you can access it two ways and their openings measure: 23" x 10" and then 15" x 18" the end opening has the hydraulic pump in it though, so I don't know if that's ideal. 

I don't know if they make a more shallow porta poti, but there is storage under the dinette floor that would be very easy to just flip up and use which has a depth of 6". Alaskan lets you customize everything, so if that's important to you I don't see why they couldn't make the bottom drawer chest area a slide out porta poti. 

The dinette width is 44 inches, very comfortable to lounge at with two people. We've had 4 adults in it and it fits just fine to play card games and whatnot, but would probably feel a bit cramped after awhile. It folds down into a bed that could sleep two adults in a pinch, but would be ideal for a couple of kids. I think a normal twin is 39 inches, so it's a bit bigger than that. 

Hope this helps!!

Attached Thumbnails

• drawers.jpg
  • bed.jpg
  • dinette floor.jpg
  • under dinette.jpg
  • Storage.jpg
  • other access.jpg

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for sharing your thought process, experience, and the mighty fine results! Congrats on your new rig. I suspect your post will be very helpful! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 draker3838

draker3838

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:40 PM

Nice rig! Were you guys up on Coeur d'Alene a few weeks ago? We saw a side entry Alaskan and were on our way to say hi but the truck left. As much as I wanted to check it out I didnt want to creep out the person by waving them down so let them go in peace!

Check out our adventure down the Pan American Highway with our Alaskan at ducknotes.org

#8 Dahlberg

Dahlberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:45 PM

Nice rig! Were you guys up on Coeur d'Alene a few weeks ago? We saw a side entry Alaskan and were on our way to say hi but the truck left. As much as I wanted to check it out I didnt want to creep out the person by waving them down so let them go in peace!

Ha, that was us!! We would have been happy to chat and show you, we just picked it up a couple days before and were road tripping back to Colorado. Darn, sorry we missed you!

#9 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:43 PM

I feel your milage pains....my F-250 gets 9-10 MPG and does that with or without a shell or my Alaskan 8' CO mounted in it. I rationalize it by saying I am dragging my own "motel" around and saving on staying in them so that frees up a hundred or so dollars a day on the road to blow on gasoline...

Hey, for all the positives your new rig gives you and the flexibility to go where the best camping and vistas are found is a tradeoff against the negative that kind of mileage gives your pocketbook.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#10 Dahlberg

Dahlberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

I feel your milage pains....my F-250 gets 9-10 MPG and does that with or without a shell or my Alaskan 8' CO mounted in it. I rationalize it by saying I am dragging my own "motel" around and saving on staying in them so that frees up a hundred or so dollars a day on the road to blow on gasoline...

Hey, for all the positives your new rig gives you and the flexibility to go where the best camping and vistas are found is a tradeoff against the negative that kind of mileage gives your pocketbook.

Thanks for the encouragement! We haven't noticed a huge difference either... but were hoping to get better MPGs than that. We are also rationalizing it because if we had to stay in hotels, we'd still have to drive there. We definitely agree that it's worth it though!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flatbed, alaskan, side entry, ram, 8.5, custom, offroad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users