#21 Trailbob

Trailbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Idaho

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:04 AM

I mentioned the generator/electric heater in my earlier post.  I've never used that combo before with our Hawk, but, after our our last trip in the snow, thought it might be a viable option for those times where there is prolonged rain or snow and the moisture is building up inside the camper from propane heat.  I used to carry a Honda eu2000 generator on a rack on the front hitch of our truck to recharge the battery on hunting trips.  I stopped carrying it after I installed solar and doubled the battery capacity, because I haven't needed it.  But the last snow trip got me thinking that for a longer trip in inclement weather, I might just bring the generator.  And if I have the generator, I can use the small 1500w heater to supplement the furnace and/or Wave 3.  We have used the 1500w electric heater during the rare times we have parked somewhere with shore power.  They do a good job, but I think the furnace might also be needed in really cold weather.

IMHO, a 2000w generator would be the size to have, since most electric space heaters are 1500w (on high).  For extended run sessions, the Honda generators can be fitted with a cap that allows you to connect an external outboard motor fuel tank.  That may or may not be too much to bring with a FWC.

#22 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 18 October 2018 - 04:35 AM

Re generator/heater

Thx guys. Have to admit I wasn't thinking guys would have the generator to charge batteries, which of course makes sense in winter. Tho I have read on the boards a number of times one being carried for dedicated electric winter power. One was from a fellow  used to be on here used in Northern BC

Kicker with a eu2000 is I could buy a new Airtronic D2 bunk heater for same dollars new. Would be smaller, continuous diesel feed (from truck tank) and 850-2200 watts but not multi purpose, stand alone like a genny.

Agree about 1500w or even bigger and with blower. I actually bought a 1000w oil fill for a shore powered stay, late Fall in the Rockies. It was a bit warmer inside than out, but not by much ^_^

#23 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:26 AM

I'm finally taking this Ranger 2 through its first "winter" trial up here in North Tahoe. It's a fairly civil low-30's F. The Camco Olympian Wave 6 propane heater is definitely more than enough running on Low all night without any insulation. I have 7 yards of Warm Window stored under the lower bench, but it's plenty warm without it.

There is some condensation inside the side liner, but it's hard to tell how much of that is from the inherent temperature gradient both from the outside and from the aluminum frame, especially when humidity is high and temperatures are just above freezing. But there have been other instances where the heater produced no noticeable condensation without any ventilation.

One thing though - I couldn't tell any difference in the 20# propane tank after a night of running on low. It's ridiculous. My old Platinum Cat in 2004 burned through a 10# tank in two nights.

NOTE: I have the new side liner and folding panels from ATC. It is an excellent product.

More to come.

IMG_0920.jpeg  

#24 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,568 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:42 AM

I'm finally taking this Ranger 2 through its first "winter" trial up here in North Tahoe. It's a fairly civil low-30's F. The Camco Olympian Wave 6 propane heater is definitely more than enough running on Low all night without any insulation. I have 7 yards of Warm Window stored under the lower bench, but it's plenty warm without it.

There is some condensation inside the side liner, but it's hard to tell how much of that is from the inherent temperature gradient both from the outside and from the aluminum frame, especially when humidity is high and temperatures are just above freezing. But there have been other instances where the heater produced no noticeable condensation without any ventilation.

One thing though - I couldn't tell any difference in the 20# propane tank after a night of running on low. It's ridiculous. My old Platinum Cat in 2004 burned through a 10# tank in two nights.

NOTE: I have the new side liner and folding panels from ATC. It is an excellent product.

More to come.

attachicon.gifIMG_0920.jpeg

I knew you would be happy with ATC! Congrats on getting everything going!

I am haunted by waters

#25 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:26 AM

You shouldn't be getting condensation from a the vented furnace. Aside from venting the products of combustion it also vents the moisture. Works just like your home furnace. 

My bag can keep my comfy  but I'm also using the furnace to keep the pipes and stuff from freezing. Not to mention a fairly short haired dog :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#26 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:59 AM

You shouldn't be getting condensation from a the vented furnace. Aside from venting the products of combustion it also vents the moisture. Works just like your home furnace.

My bag can keep my comfy but I'm also using the furnace to keep the pipes and stuff from freezing. Not to mention a fairly short haired dog :)

I am not using a forced air furnace as is installed in the FWC’s. I am using a propane catalytic heater and the only notable byproduct is water . The make and model is included in my previous post, and is shown in the attached photo.

Edited by patrickkidd, 29 November 2018 - 06:27 AM.

#27 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:46 PM

I am not using a forced air furnace as is installed in the FWC’s. I am using a propane catalytic heater and the only notable byproduct is water . The make and model is included in my previous post, and is shown in the attached photo.

Remember there is no such thing as complete combustion...catalytic heaters also produce CO/CO2 along with water vapor...so when you say "notable" you are correct but CO attaches to the hemoglobin receptors that O2 needs and like a smoker your O2 levels in blood drop...and it takes a long time for the CO to detach...it is accumulative...plus the heater uses up available oxygen..

Interesting Pdf..

https://www.cpsc.gov...c/pdfs/CO03.pdf

Edited by Wallowa, 29 November 2018 - 04:49 PM.

#28 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:24 PM

Interesting study. Backs the importance of proper ventilation.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#29 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:08 PM

Interesting study. Backs the importance of proper ventilation.

You know, I was just going to start a new thread about how to get some air circulation inside the camper when it is blowing rain or snow sideways. I know from living on a sailboat that the trick is always to keep the moisture inside and outside the heated space equal. Usually on boats you have a solar fan vent or passive vent with a baffle so water can't get through.

The old roof hatch I have develops quite a lot of condensation and drips onto the floor. It may leak as well. How do others handle this?

IMG_0924.JPG

#30 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 29 November 2018 - 08:03 PM

Our approach with a '16 Hawk that has two Fantastic Fans/vents is to leave the vent up perhaps an inch.  The overlap with the lid and base keeps out rain/snow unless the wind is really honking...also with a side dinette, we have a crank out louver window next to the table that shields the opening from elements...most often the roof vents are all we need..

Lastly, the turnbuckle doors open into the Tundra truck bed, although we have never use these portals for ventilation they are available..

Without using the roof fans, the heater blowing air will also create circulation and heated air will carry more moisture out....

Honestly moisture has never been a problem....mostly we do this and dropping the window cover over the cooking stove to vent the products of the cooking flame...and at night to bring in more oxygen as we consume it while sleeping...

All these can be augmented with a small "AA" powered fan to circulate air into or out of the camper....

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users