22 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:23 PM

At this point, it’s best you call the company that made the jacks to get specific info. There are too many variables for any of us to provide accurate info. Alternatively, ask Professor Google using the make and model of your jacks.

I am haunted by waters

#12 Tahoems

Tahoems

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

[quote name="patrickkidd" post="205309" timestamp="1539747239"]Does anyone know what to consider when mounting brackets onto a camper like this that doesn't already have them?

#13 Tahoems

Tahoems

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:20 PM

I'm in a similar boat and need to remedy the sketchy cable jack situation. I'm mostly interested in identifying mounting points at all four corners for camper jacks. I assume there is good framing in the corners but I do not plan on stripping off siding to find out. So far I have not come across a install "how-to" but anything has to be better than the cable jacks.

#14 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:02 PM

I just did this with my old Ranger 2. I used the screws that the guys at ATC gave me. I used a drill bit that was about 2/3 the size of the screen shaft to ensure a tight fit. I used a screwdriver to make sure I didn't over tighten and strip the aluminum. Be careful that you only have 1" of framing tube to screw into on either side.

The brackets I got were for the Atwood jacks I found on craigslist. I got the bracket kit on eBay. They were made for wooden campers and so they are larger than my frame so I only mounted using the inside holes.

IMG_0796.jpeg

IMG_0797.jpeg

IMG_0798.jpeg

IMG_0799.jpeg

Edited by patrickkidd, 15 November 2018 - 07:03 PM.

#15 Tahoems

Tahoems

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:44 PM

I just did this with my old Ranger 2. I used the screws that the guys at ATC gave me. I used a drill bit that was about 2/3 the size of the screen shaft to ensure a tight fit. I used a screwdriver to make sure I didn't over tighten and strip the aluminum. Be careful that you only have 1" of framing tube to screw into on either side.

The brackets I got were for the Atwood jacks I found on craigslist. I got the bracket kit on eBay. They were made for wooden campers and so they are larger than my frame so I only mounted using the inside holes.

attachicon.gif IMG_0796.jpeg
attachicon.gif IMG_0797.jpeg
attachicon.gif IMG_0798.jpeg
attachicon.gif IMG_0799.jpeg

So you just cut back the corner trim piece and mount right over the siding? Were you able to determine exactly where your stud was?

#16 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:54 PM

So you just cut back the corner trim piece and mount right over the siding? Were you able to determine exactly where your stud was?

That is correct. That is how everyone does it including FWC and ATC. The siding is practically paper thin and you have 1” of tubing to hit. So shoot for 1/2” from each edge, make sure you shoot straight, and you’ll be good.

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:58 AM

are the corners not reinforced on campers with jacks?  

#18 patrickkidd

patrickkidd

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:00 AM

are the corners not reinforced on campers with jacks?

They are not and they don’t need to be.

#19 Tahoems

Tahoems

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 03:20 AM

It's been a few days and still trying to figure out my jack install despite ongoing research. They are Atwood manual Jack's with the bolt pattern shown (pic). It also looks like the wheelbase is several inches wider than the camper (pic) so I'll need extension plates. I've seen some part sets online it has been difficult to identify them bolt pattern. I have a call into FWC but with the holiday it could go a few more days. If anyone can help steer me in the meantime it would be helpful! 20181120_155654.jpeg 2934.jpeg 2912.jpeg

#20 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:53 PM

I applaude you for doing this yourself.  I went the "easy" way and had ATC do it while I was passing through on a road trip.  In my mind it was cheaper, less stressful, etc. and I got new jacks, etc.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users