• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 nocruisecontrol

nocruisecontrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:20 AM

Hello! Forgive me if this topic is buried deep in the forum here, I have searched many threads without finding an answer.

I have a 2001 Eagle. The water tank display lights up like it is getting power, does not make any noises whatsoever. The camper sat for what I suspect is several years prior to me getting it. I’ve come to terms that I should just replace the water pump and have piece of mind, since we will be moving into the camper full time. My questions are 1) how do you gain access to the pump? From what I can see, it looks like I may need to remove the countertop. 2) What are others using for filters? I have seen some pumps with built in filters, inline, perhaps faucet filters? Looking for a particle and UV light or other purifier. Curious what others are using. 3) I am planning on calling FWC for a new pump, unless anyone has a better aftermarket solution. I also thought this would be a good time to look over all the water lines, and replace if necessary.

Thanks for the help!

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:51 PM

I use something similar to this, cold water only, installed under the sink near the faucet.

https://www.campingw...ne-water-filter

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:13 PM

Hello nocruisecontrol

Have you checked the fuse, do you have a meter and know the switch is good a providing power for the pump to run. Is your ground or negative side of the line good. Just buying a new pump is not necessarily going to guarantee a fix to the problem. If you got the m/n and look at the specs on the pump, try google it. Also get a price from FWC. Sometimes the manufacturer is helpful call tech support and ask them if they have a trouble shooting guide they can email.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 nocruisecontrol

nocruisecontrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:29 AM

I do know the fuse is good, and that power is running to the pump. Pulling it is my next step. FWC has been very helpful so far

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 20 October 2018 - 12:15 AM

If I remember the pump on those models were mounted in the cabinet under the sink down low. Or it just had a hand pump on the faucet.  Did the original owner say it had a pump?  

You can take all the screws off the face of the cabinet to remove and you will be able to see the water tank etc...

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 nocruisecontrol

nocruisecontrol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:31 PM

Well my mistake.  Camper is fully wired for a pump, none there.  I will be ordering one from FWC, and replacing the water lines.  Anyone have a good inline filter you use?

#7 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:23 PM

Take a look at this particular site:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

They sell a number of different filters, as well as ultra-violet devices and water pumps.  Depending on the kinds of filter you wind up using, you may want a water pump with greater pressure or flow than the one FWC sells.

In Tom Sheppard's classic book, VEHICLE DEPENDENT EXPEDITION GUIDE, he provides the following information on waterborne threats:

Big Bugs – Parasites, Protozoa:  Giardia, Cryptosporidia, Schistosoma, Amoebic Dysentery, Worms.  Range in size from 4 to 12 microns.  Easily filtered by most micro-filters.  Some are highly resistant to the usual chemicals, chlorine and iodine.  Also resistant to ultra-violet purification.

Small Bugs – Bacteria: E Coli, Bacillary Dysentery, Cholera, Typhoid, Leptospirosis.  Range in size from 0.5 to 3 microns.  Need the finest micro-filters to remove. Easily killed by chemicals or ultra-violet.

Very Small Bugs – Viruses: Polio, Hepatitis, Rotavirus.  0.02 to 0.08 microns.  Too small to filter.  Easily killed by chemicals or ultra-violet.

Of course, his book was written for people who travel in third world environments.  We probably don't have all those bugs here in North America.  I hope! To remove chemicals like pesticides and sulfur, iron, etc.  You need a filter with activated charcoal.

Hope this info is useful to you.

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#8 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:48 PM

Optimistic Paranoid et al,

I think reminding us all of the risks of unfiltered water is helpful and for those unfamiliar with the nasties in the lists would do well to look them up and better understand why they are health risks.

I have been an outdoor enthusiast for over 50 years.  I have used water from seeps, springs, streams, lakes, ponds and less desirable sources during literally thousands of miles hiking and backpacking all over North America as well as in Hawaii. (During my hiking in Costa Rica and Japan I relied on bottled water).  I have also done a significant amount of off dirt track vehicle camping in Canada and the US (Including Alaska, Hawaii and Canada). 

Since the late 1970's I have always treated, boiled or filtered all non-municipal source water before consumption (and since the late 1980's almost exclusively using a high quality filter device capable of removing bacteria - i.e. a 0.5 micron filter).  If the water is from a sketchy source (like a murky still pond, etc) I also boil the water after filtering for at least 3 minutes. 

Most of the nasties that are in your list are real risks in the US and all non-treated water should be filtered, treated or boiled in my opinion. I have known people who have contracted Giardiasis and I have read accounts of Cryptosporidia, Leptosirosis and Protozoan infection. None of these are any fun and none us wants to contract any of these. Parasites, bacteria and viruses are spread from water source to water source by wild animals, birds, fish, livestock and domestic animals so what was safe 5 years ago or even last trip may not be safe now.  It is best to assume that any non-municipal water source is risky to drink without filtering and treating unless you know it to be safe (e.g. test report).

One could argue that the risk of infection is not high but I counter that the consequences of an infection can be very high and the effort to minimize the risk is not expensive or onerous so why risk it.

BTW for those who may not already know and have interest:   

All those big bugs you listed are parasites (i.e. Giardia, Cryptosporidia, Protozoans, Schistosomas, worms  and Amoebas are all parasites). 

The small bugs in your list are bacteria for the most part:  e.g. Leptospirosis is a bacteria

The very small bugs in your list are viruses

Edited by ckent323, 24 October 2018 - 08:39 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#9 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:22 PM

I forgot to add that we generally only use the water in the camper water tank for washing dishes and cooking (boiling water).

When using our camper all of our drinking water is from a 5 gallon jug we clean with bleach periodically and fill from known safe sources of water or from bottled water (small or large).

We do carry a water pump with bacteria filter in case we run out of water in the boonies (hasn't happened yet).

I use a Camco filter on the hose when filling the water holding tank in the camper but it only has a 100 micron filter.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:34 PM

I haven't used it yet, but I have a filter for use with campground water. Its just a charcoal filter. Water thief stays on so I don't lose it :)

KIMG0052%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users