• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:16 PM

I bought this for my Tundra, camerasource was ridiculous at $219, tailgatecamera.com is $129 and has a bracket that can be slightly modified to mount mid way up the back of a FWC, and save $90

https://tailgatecame...-wiring-harness

#2 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:57 PM

Good call. I bought the Camera Source one and that looks exactly the same. I ditched the license plate bracket and mounted mine under the right overhang of the camper. (I have a Hitchgate so I cannot mount mine in the middle anywhere without it being blocked)

#3 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

Good call. I bought the Camera Source one and that looks exactly the same. I ditched the license plate bracket and mounted mine under the right overhang of the camper. (I have a Hitchgate so I cannot mount mine in the middle anywhere without it being blocked)

I'd love to see photos of where and how your backup cam is mounted??

#4 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:31 AM

I'd love to see photos of where and how your backup cam is mounted??

Can't find a better picture right now. Its mounted right there above the tail light. I screwed it into the wooden underframe. I removed the taillight and fed the wiring down inside the light housing, under the truck where it plugs into the oem harness. If I remove the camper I just unscrew and stow the camera inside the light housing. I just adjusted the angle of the camera until it gave me the best possible view. 20181019_212840.jpeg

#5 abqbw

abqbw

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:23 PM

The price difference is only $70. The camera source camera is $199, has slightly better specified resolution (600 vs 580 lines, but the cameras look exactly the same) and comes with two brackets. The license plate bracket like the tailgatecamera.com one plus a mini bracket for mounting on the back of the camper like some people do (me). Are the differences worth $70, maybe -maybe not but after having the camerasource camera for 3 years of use and abuse I don’t think $199 is “ridiculous”. It’s good that there is finally some competition for a plug and play Tundra backup camera with factory harness. When I bought mine camerasource was the only one I could find.

#6 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

The price difference is only $70. The camera source camera is $199, has slightly better specified resolution (600 vs 580 lines, but the cameras look exactly the same) and comes with two brackets. The license plate bracket like the tailgatecamera.com one plus a mini bracket for mounting on the back of the camper like some people do (me). Are the differences worth $70, maybe -maybe not but after having the camerasource camera for 3 years of use and abuse I don’t think $199 is “ridiculous”. It’s good that there is finally some competition for a plug and play Tundra backup camera with factory harness. When I bought mine camerasource was the only one I could find.

Not $199, it is $219 at Camerasource, and $89 difference is ridiculous when you consider these cameras are $5.00 all over Amazon, and the wiring harness could not be worth more than $5.00 as well, they are making a huge profit for the piece of plastic that fits into the OEM plug, for me it is not as much the money as the principle, these are very overpriced items

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

Not $199, it is $219 at Camerasource, and $89 difference is ridiculous when you consider these cameras are $5.00 all over Amazon, and the wiring harness could not be worth more than $5.00 as well, they are making a huge profit for the piece of plastic that fits into the OEM plug, for me it is not as much the money as the principle, these are very overpriced items

But....but...the Unobtanium used for the factory connector housing is very expensive.:P

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:44 PM

But....but...the Unobtanium used for the factory connector housing is very expensive. :P

Paul

that $5.00 connector becomes $200 because it is plug and play

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 October 2018 - 12:20 AM

I'd be tempted to buy the $5 version and splice in my own connectors.

#10 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:39 PM

I'd be tempted to buy the $5 version and splice in my own connectors.

Vic, I thought of that, but did not want the hassle, so it cost me $129 USD for the ease of use, I am careful to pick my battles carefully (LOL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users