• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:21 PM

It seems that a D or E rated tire are best for the weight that a 4wc adds to a truck. I am looking for a tire that is all season, 50K mileage rated, and D or E for my 03 tundra.  The confusion comes from some tires manufacturers give the rating as SL or XL. Whats this? Is SL good enough?

How can you tell if tires are 10 ply?

thanks

#2 rollinrollinrollin

rollinrollinrollin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:43 PM

I put Goodyear Wrangler E rated Duratracs on my Ram 2500 4X4. I've been very satisfied with the performance in all types of weather and road conditions.  I did lots of research before I purchased.  Some all season tires are very noisy so do your homework before you buy. My tires run pretty smooth and quiet on the highway.  I'm not sure about SL or XL ratings but I was able to find lots of technical specs on the TireRack.com website. Good Luck

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:47 PM

I just replaced my 265/75/16 "C" rated Goodyear TD Wrangler. I have a 2002 Tundra 4X4 AC cab.

Hadn't planed so soon only 35K with many more miles but the sidewalls were starting to crack.

I looked at other brands and settled on the Hercules brand.Made in USA have 60K warranty. Good price also.

All terrain tread but very quiet on the road. I stayed with the "c" rated but I think these tires also come in "D" "E"

ratings. So far I like them.

Frank 

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:19 PM

It seems that a D or E rated tire are best for the weight that a 4wc adds to a truck. I am looking for a tire that is all season, 50K mileage rated, and D or E for my 03 tundra.  The confusion comes from some tires manufacturers give the rating as SL or XL. Whats this? Is SL good enough?
thanks

I had Michelin AT2 tires and have been pretty happy with them. I'm very hard on tires and can never get what the warranty is regardless of what tire I use.
Yesterday I put on a set of Toyo AT2 and they are definitely more aggressive (what I wanted) AND comes with a 50k Mile warranty. Some other sizes come with a 65k warranty. This is with E rated tires. I can barely hear them ...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#5 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:56 PM

Since you say all-season instead of all-terrain, I'd suggest something like the Michelin LTX light truck tires.  They offer an up to 70k mile warranty.

#6 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:16 PM

My understanding is that ply ratings are left over from the days when tires were cotton plies, rubber, and no belts.   Literally, the more plies you had, the stronger the tire was and the more air pressure it could hold and the more weight it could support.

These days, most tires are two plies of polyester, maybe a third one in the sidewall, possibly of kevlar, and several steel belts in the tread.  The various load ranges, D, E, etc are often called "ply equivalents".  That is, a load range D is 8 ply equivalent, a load range E is 10 ply equivalent, and so on.

I think there are still a few off road tires that are made without belts, that are actually MADE with 8 plies, or 10 plies, or whatever, but they are unusual. 

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:33 PM

My understanding is that ply ratings are left over from the days when tires were cotton plies, rubber, and no belts.   Literally, the more plies you had, the stronger the tire was and the more air pressure it could hold and the more weight it could support.

These days, most tires are two plies of polyester, maybe a third one in the sidewall, possibly of kevlar, and several steel belts in the tread.  The various load ranges, D, E, etc are often called "ply equivalents".  That is, a load range D is 8 ply equivalent, a load range E is 10 ply equivalent, and so on.

I think there are still a few off road tires that are made without belts, that are actually MADE with 8 plies, or 10 plies, or whatever, but they are unusual. 

Valid questions; would love to hear concise answers...

My '05 Tundra AC SR5 w/ '16 Hawk is currently on Toyo AT2s ["C" or "6 ply"] and before our 5K Alaska trip next spring I moving up to "E" "10 ply" Toyo AT2...

I guess for me the proof of the pudding is that my current Toyo AT2s have seen a lot of tough off road use and the unavoidable highway miles to get there and they have always got us through with no drama...

Going to "E"s is just my insurance policy being upgraded...don't like the additional un-sprung weight per tire...but nothing comes without a cost...  $$$$$, more unsprung weight but more peace of mind and hopefully no ruined tires in BFE...

Where we go would hate to have to walk out.... :D

Phil

Ps...Will go with a narrower tire this time 235 x 85-16"...size does matter...consider your use

PPs...Has anyone with a Tundra tried putting a larger tire under the truck in spare tire hanger?  Would like to buy 5 tires and carry a 10 ply spare...

Edited by Wallowa, 18 October 2018 - 09:41 PM.

#8 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:54 PM

It's a bias versus radial thing.  (almost) Everyone runs radial tires now, so they aren't "plies" but rather ply-equivalent.  Bias tires are sometimes (often) used in ag equipment or off road; however, 4x4 truck tires are still almost always radials.

Edited by Ace!, 18 October 2018 - 09:58 PM.

#9 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:04 AM

If you want to know how many plys a tire has look at the sidewall, it might be listed along with a whole lot of other info.

Mine are marked:

Tread  2 Steel 3 Polyester 2 Nylon

Sidewall  3 Polyester

So I guess I could call them a 7 ply tread and a 3 ply sidewall (and body ?) or maybe I could legit say they have 10 plys, total  ;)

Plus they are marked 10 P.R. (ply rating) and Load Range E. These ratings have been covered already.

SL is Standard Load, XL is Extra Load. Not sure if LT tires even use the designation but P tires can. Either way, no reason to think SL wouldn't be adequate for the OP.

Edited by klahanie, 19 October 2018 - 12:07 AM.

#10 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:30 AM

I ran E load range LTX Michelins on my 1st gen.Tundra and they were fine, had to almost max out the pressure to reduce sidewall flex though. On the F250 I'm running Cooper ATPs E load range and I'm very pleased with the wet and dry handling, tires are fairly quiet. They ride good, especially considering I run 65/75 psi when loaded, negligible sidewall flex. I did try some BFGs KO2s that discount tire recommended but they had a mushy feel to them even at max pressure. Again very happy with Coopers. ,

Edited by Beach, 19 October 2018 - 12:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users