Photo
- - - - -

FWC PHOTO CONTEST 1ST PLACE WINNER! question :)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:33 AM

"FWC PHOTO CONTEST 1ST PLACE WINNER!

Congratulation to Peter M.

2010 Hawk Model. Photo Location: Alabama Hills, Inyo National Forest, Lone Pine, California."

https://www.facebook...?type=3

43610063_2365284926821236_7255044475636940800_o.jpg

It is a nice image and congratulations to the winner.

I was looking at this image and what caught my eye is the lack of moon shadowing on the truck and the shadow pattern under the truck. Now the maker could have used several flashes and lights to light paint the truck as was done on the foreground rocks on the left.

Further looking at the rocks and under the truck shadows ... the image light was coming from the right and all the shadows are on the left(sunset image). Where as the full moon is low angle to the back of the image.

It is a nice image but was wondering if it is a composite of two images? . :)

...  Opinions?

*Oh by the way this has nothing to do with the contest or any rules that may or may not apply.  I just see a image and my mind starts trying to figure things out. There is nothing wrong with this as it is common practice to take two shots one before dark and one with the night sky and merge them together.

Cheers.......

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:51 AM

It’s nicely done, and like you, I think it’s a composite. The photographer has a good sense of composition.

I am haunted by waters

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:55 AM

The person who won gave some detail on what he did. My daughter is a pro photographer she agreed with what he said. She is also an expert at Photoshop.  One image but quite a bit of work done to bring out the detail. 

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:56 AM

Any link or you have the details as to what the person said?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:16 AM

Now I see why I didn't win.  :lol:

_MG_8322-S.jpg

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:19 PM

A friend of mine is a semi-retired photographer (spends all of his time camping and shooting and composing photos and very little time selling the prints). He has over forty years in the profession. He claims that ten years or so ago buyers would ask if the print was photoshopped as they did not want a photoshopped image. Today, buyers expect the image to be photoshopped and are not happy with prints made from a single shot.

#7 Stray Dog

Stray Dog

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanon City, Colorado

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:18 PM

The winner is a tremendous image.  

I wonder if the contest hasn't reached a point where it should consider expanding categories for photos.  The camper with limited photographic skill or equipment has been replaced by professional photographers.  The images they take and manipulate are terrific but I yearn for the simple image of a real scene taken by someone who has parked his unit in a great place and taken his photo with a simple camera.....

#8 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:50 PM

Now I see why I didn't win. :lol:
_MG_8322-S.jpg

Lol!!!!

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,020 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:56 PM

Its a great shot and I do see stray dogs point but I'm not sure its practical to have two categories. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:40 PM

Any link or you have the details as to what the person said?

Copied from the FWC Owners FB page Peter Mason took the picture:

Peter Mason This image is a long exposure. Quarter moonlight paints the foreground and the camper. The interior was lit with an LED lantern with several layers of ND filter to reduce its brightness. The digital file was processed in photoshop to adjust contrast and brightness, and balance overall color. There is some noise reduction as well to reduce the grain caused by high ISO. It is not a composite of several images. Thanks for the comments.

Question on camera.

Bret Richards Peter Mason great shot what kind of camera did you use

· Reply · 1w
32668490_10216013483512608_5673889490096
Peter Mason Nikon D810

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users