• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ArtTrek

ArtTrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:50 AM

We are looking at the 6.5 foot cab over.  Our plan is to get a GMC Sierra 1500 regular cab.

Any comments/wisdom?

Thanks!

#2 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:57 AM

Published weight figures for campers tend to be optimistic and lower than actual real world weights.  And people don't usually allow for enough weight for passengers, food, clothing, bedding, the dog, etc

You didn't say if you were buying new or used.  Wet weight for the current 6.5 cabover  is 1550 lbs.  What sort of figures do you have for your proposed 1500?

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#3 ArtTrek

ArtTrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

Published weight figures for campers tend to be optimistic and lower than actual real world weights.  And people don't usually allow for enough weight for passengers, food, clothing, bedding, the dog, etc

You didn't say if you were buying new or used.  Wet weight for the current 6.5 cabover  is 1550 lbs.  What sort of figures do you have for your proposed 1500?

John,  thanks for your comment.  I'm looking at a new Alaskan and a new GMC.  The 1500 has a maximum payload of 1880.  Therefore, the 6.5 vs. the 7 footer.  I'm looking into the use of helper springs which would increase the safety margin.  We are light travelers, currently have a Casita trailer and previously being backpackers.  Still, your points are very well taken.

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

Here’s a link to one of the members who has that camper on a similar truck. You might send a PM to get her feedback. I saw her camper at the factory. They did a nice job on it!

http://www.wanderthe...r/3329-linda-n/

I am haunted by waters

#5 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:53 PM

John,  thanks for your comment.  I'm looking at a new Alaskan and a new GMC.  The 1500 has a maximum payload of 1880.  Therefore, the 6.5 vs. the 7 footer.  I'm looking into the use of helper springs which would increase the safety margin.  We are light travelers, currently have a Casita trailer and previously being backpackers.  Still, your points are very well taken.

Sounds like you will - technically - be over the trucks's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.  Some people are bothered by this, some don't seem to worry about it.  Adding helper springs and such-like will certainly level the truck, but LEGALLY, no aftermarket add-ons increase the truck's factory certified GVWR.

If you're not already familiar with these two sites, I recommend you spend some time on them.  Very interesting and informative.

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#6 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:07 PM

Get a 3/4 ton.  Don't try to turn a 1/2 ton into a 3/4 ton with springs and sway bars and airbags.  Don't make the same mistake I made.

#7 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:35 PM

Go with a 3/4 ton....you will never regret it. By the way, if you do, you can move up to an 8' CO Alaskan. I know you said you traveled light but with a slightly bigger rig you can carry more water, have a bigger 'fridge and room for TWO to get dressed, make your meals and move around in there.

Just sayin'......

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#8 ArtTrek

ArtTrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:01 PM

Go with a 3/4 ton....you will never regret it. By the way, if you do, you can move up to an 8' CO Alaskan. I know you said you traveled light but with a slightly bigger rig you can carry more water, have a bigger 'fridge and room for TWO to get dressed, make your meals and move around in there.

Just sayin'......

PackRat, what do you think about the difference between an 8' and a 7'?  After all of the input, we've decided to go with a 3/4 ton pickup... makes a lot more sense!  Now, our question is 6 3/4' bed or an 8' bed.  The cost difference between the 7' and 8' Alaskan is marginal, so it comes down to which truck bed to get.  Any more thoughts?

#9 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

Do they still make an 8 foot bed? lol It used to be 4 x 8 foot plywood needed to fit. With all this combining vehicle truck/passenger Hibred am seeing 4 ft beds in our future. My feeling about 8 foot bed and a one ton non dual is pretty strong here.

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#10 ArtTrek

ArtTrek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 02:47 PM

Do they still make an 8 foot bed? lol It used to be 4 x 8 foot plywood needed to fit. With all this combining vehicle truck/passenger Hibred am seeing 4 ft beds in our future. My feeling about 8 foot bed and a one ton non dual is pretty strong here.

We're looking at a Ford Super Duty (3/4 ton)... It comes with either a 6 3/4' or an 8'...  You're right about the small beds.  5' is fairly common, and 5 1/2 is the new "normal" for "regular" size beds.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Truck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users