• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 26 October 2018 - 03:20 AM

Just sharing my recent experiences with the 46 gallon fuel tank, Transfer flow no longer makes the 46 gallon replacement tank for the Toyota Tundra (I called the factory today), many of us have the Tundra with the Hawk and Grandby FWC. And many of us have the very small 26 gallon fuel tank (no idea why Toyota did this), the other company is called long range automotive in Australia, they apparently make a very good 46 gallon tank, in some ways better than the transferflow (which is discontinued), but, and this is a big but, they want $1595, plus shipping from Australia, and installation, which is ridiculous in my opinion, last January I was quoted $1295 from Transfer flow in California, free shipping to Arizona, but I could not find a dealer to do the install before I left for Texas, the total I was quoted out the door was $1650, which is very high, but I was willing to pay it, but could not make it happen while travelling around last winter. The Long Range unit from Australia is $2200 or so including installation, shipping and the tank itself, NO WAY  I AM PAYING THAT MUCH. Does anybody here know what the cost is for the Toyota OEM 38 gallon plastic tank? It has a huge advantage, is is very light compared to the steel transfer flow.

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 26 October 2018 - 01:29 PM

US gasoline fuel tank stds are fairly stringent. Diesel tanks are less so, which explains why you might be finding that the US aftermarket supports extended range diesel fuel tanks and doesn't have much for gassers.

TF is a bit notorious for that, not carrying a product in their line-up for very long. Have you thought about seeing if there is any new old stock of the TF tank? Maybe one of their vendors has one.

There is a previous thread on this topic and I thought someone had posted in it that they had priced out the OEM 38 gal tank and the related required hardware.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:39 AM

Another option is to have a stainless tank fabricated.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#4 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:06 PM

Another option is to have a stainless tank fabricated.

I wonder if it is possible to get a plastic tank made to fit the exact way a very heavy Transfer Flow would fit, it would be 100 LBS lighter???

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 28 October 2018 - 12:10 AM

Probably not possible for fuel. Plastic fuel tanks are blow-molded with rounded corners out of cross-linked polyethylene. I suspect this is to survive the drop test requirement. I'd be rather surprised if a plastic welded tank could survive that test and I personally wouldn't want a gasoline fuel tank that couldn't survive it.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 Fyreman

Fyreman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:43 AM

I have a 46gal transferflow tank for a tundra I'm not using in San Diego if anyone is interested.

#7 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:10 PM

Is there any way to stash a 2nd tank somewhere under a Tundra?

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 14 May 2019 - 02:01 AM

I think you’d need to replace the whole tank. My 2017 has a 38 gallon tank which is an option so the space is there. A friend of mine bought a used 38 gallon tank from a junkyard for $500 and is in the process of gathering the other required parts for the install.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users