Spare tire, location preference

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

I have the Hitchgate. Positives are you don't have to crawl under the truck to access a spare covered in mud and dirt, and the Hitchgate also can allow you to stow other stuff (extra fuel and/or water, hi-lift, shovel, Maxtrax, and Trasharoo in my case).  The Hitchgate is also prefect for hanging stuff on when camping.

The downside is that you have to swing it open each and every time you stop and want to access the camper. You can't stealth camp with the Hitchgate on, as you can't swing it open from inside the camper.

I leave mine on most of the time, though usually remove it in the winter when I run my studded winter tires..and then keep my winter spare under the truck.

Attached Thumbnails

• 33458731_10155268326576637_833599082810310656_o.jpg

#12 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:09 PM

On my last camper (pop top landcruiser), I had dual swing outs, one with the tire the other with a ladder that was a second entrance to the sleeping area in the pop top.   I have to say that you need into your camper 1000x more often than you need your spare tire, so having to open the swing outs every time quickly became old.  I was also a little worried about the gate blowing closed (or being closed by a 'friend') while I was in the camper.   Not a big deal on the LC which had side doors, but would be a big deal on a FWC.   

I have had precisely one flat tire on my adventure mobiles in the past 15 years of adventuring and probably 80k miles miles (including the Haul Road, Casir, circumnavigating Oz, etc).  That flat tire was on the pavement and was fixable with my plug kit, so the spare wasn't even needed.  So yeah, I would second leaving it under the truck and carrying a compressor and plug kit instead.   Swing outs/tire racks are heavy, tires are heavy and it puts all that weight in a bad spot - way out behind the rear axel.   On the flip side, they are extremely exposexual. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#13 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:27 PM

My two cents is that if you can keep a spare in the OEM location that would be the best option. I have heard of people not being able to crank the spare tire cable down because it had rusted in place (probably not a problem for you West coast guys..) but either way it would probably be a good idea to "exercise" the cable a couple of times a year, maybe when you check the pressure.

If you want to carry a second tire (and I am planning on doing that in our trips to AK and Baja) then you will need something like the Hitchgate which I have been happy with. On our trip to Africa earlier this year every truck carried two spares on the rear, each on a swing out arm that had to be opened to get access to the rest of the camper. For us it wasn't an issue and made changing the tire much easier which was nice since we were in lion country! We ended up plugging the tire later that night when we camped for the evening with a roaring fire to keep the critters at bay... this was the fastest tire change I've ever done without power tools!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0847.JPG

Edited by smlobx, 29 October 2018 - 08:31 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#14 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:08 PM

If you've never repaired a flat with a good offroad tire repair kit, you might carry that instead.  It weighs two pounds and will fit under the seat.

#15 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:55 PM

Second carrying a good tire repair kit or two and a good plug-in air pump! Getting to old for all that real back country stuff these days, so I just carry my spare in the regular stock position under the rear on my F-150 4x4 with a Grandby-no problems changing it so far  (had a slow leak last trip from a nail and sure was glad I carried that old air pump!. If I was  doing some type of adventure trekking ! would find a place for another tire. When I was still working the back country  for BLM carried two spares and tire kit because you always had a chance to get a flat or two and be out of radio contact and where we worked it was an mighty long walk home!  Did have 3 flats one day-took a band new stock truck out to do a quick job and did not replace the stock 2 ply tires with our usual 10 ply heavy duty ones , and payed for it :wacko: too!!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 29 October 2018 - 10:56 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#16 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:14 AM

For sure carry a plug kit and have used it with OBA. Also recommend.

I don't think I've ever had a flat that ruined a tire or shredded one. Have never carried spoons or learned to use them. With this truck It was easier to just carrying a second spare when I wanted to.

My current thinking for next time is pick up with the usual underneath spare location for the run of the mill stuff. That keeps it out of sight, in keeping with my desired inoffensive, nondescript look (no bling for us. CDN, sorry ;)).  And - if desired - for more remote stuff, a plug in carrier for a second. Seems a good compromise; for more likely use they'd be a more accessible spare, for more road trips that would be gone and not in the way. Pity about the Wilco prices tho...

Now, if I can't talk the Mrs out of a diesel, we might stick with a C/C for the dual fuel tanks, then the whole underneath tire is out. We'll see what the new Ford gasser looks like.

Thx again all

PS smlobx, love the lion story ... spidey senses tingling, eh? ... 

Edited by klahanie, 30 October 2018 - 12:15 AM.

#17 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:57 AM

Any recommendations for a good plug kit preferably from Amazon ?

#18 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:33 PM

As to the difference in behavior with the spare under the rear vs. upright over the rear bumper, our truck has enough Polar Moment already that the difference was unnoticeable.

In designing our carrier one of my concerns was being able to access the camper without having to open the carrier. I biased the tire as far to the right as I thought that I could and it is *just* enough. If I get much fatter I won't be able to get in w/o opening it. Good incentive to keep slim.

Safety Seal gets high marks in most of the tire plug kit tests. I hate their space consuming, blow-molded box. I carry an MV-50 portable compressor as back-up and for jobs where it is inconvenient to get my truck close enough to use it's OBA. I keep all of the tire plug stuff in the carry case for that compressor.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#19 Ace!

Ace!

• Gone Traveling
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSo. Oregon

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:51 PM

I use the Safety Seal kit and Viair compresssor.  As squid said, the tire kit box is cheesy, but the components are quality.  I guess it's an example of don't judge a book (or tire repair kit) by its cover.

#20 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

One option not mentioned would be a front mount. Back in the day(1969), my dad owned a F250 camper special with the spare under the rear(factory setup). After a flat and not being able to get the spare out from under, he bought a front mount carrier and moved the spare. We never had a problem with overheating or any issues carrying it there. Bonus is we moved 100+ lbs of tire to the front axle. Might not be an option for your need but thought I would post it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users